Ottawa WMA Groups
After much searching, I came to the Ottawa Medieval Sword Guild website. There, to my dismay, I found they were not accepting members.

Does anyone know of any other good longsword groups in the Ottawa or Hull region? (or any longsword groups in the region for that matter?)
Actually, yes. There's Les Maitres D'armes - of which I am a founding member and instructor. Our session just ended for spring, and we resume in the fall with classes in Hull and in conjunction with the city of Ottawa at the Richelieu-Vanier Centre. We're bilingual and semi-competent :p, and practice mainly longsword, dagger and wrestling according to Fiore, although our credo is basically "it's all longsword..." PM me for more info, if you like.

Also, Bill Fedun used to give classes out of Algonquin College, but I'm not sure he's still active. From what I've heard, it's not historical, but rather his own system which is historically inspired. That's just hearsay, though.

Not to beat my own drum (but I will, and shamelessly at that) we've been making some good headway in the region. The medieval studies program student's association at the University of Ottawa invites us regularly to give demonstrations and talks, we will be doing some demos for a program with the Ottawa public library, we help organise the yearly medieval festival in Hull (and though we try to make it more historical, people like gargoyles and face painting, what can I say?!) as well as give demos there. We've been working hard towards gaining visibility and credibility, and we're right about there, I'd say. That's enough drum beating for now, I'd say. :D
Jason G. Smith wrote:
Actually, yes. There's Les Maitres D'armes - of which I am a founding member and instructor. Our session just ended for spring, and we resume in the fall with classes in Hull and in conjunction with the city of Ottawa at the Richelieu-Vanier Centre. We're bilingual and semi-competent :p, and practice mainly longsword, dagger and wrestling according to Fiore, although our credo is basically "it's all longsword..." PM me for more info, if you like.

Its all dagger, Jason. Sword is a longer dagger that cuts too, spear a reeeeallly long dagger. Poleaxe is all of the above. :lol:

Jason G. Smith wrote:
Also, Bill Fedun used to give classes out of Algonquin College, but I'm not sure he's still active. From what I've heard, it's not historical, but rather his own system which is historically inspired. That's just hearsay, though.

Yes, somehow he convinced the college that his Viking sword & shield system, based on kendo would be an appropriate credit course. Fascinating. :p

Jason G. Smith wrote:
Not to beat my own drum (but I will, and shamelessly at that) we've been making some good headway in the region. The medieval studies program student's association at the University of Ottawa invites us regularly to give demonstrations and talks, we will be doing some demos for a program with the Ottawa public library, we help organise the yearly medieval festival in Hull (and though we try to make it more historical, people like gargoyles and face painting, what can I say?!) as well as give demos there. We've been working hard towards gaining visibility and credibility, and we're right about there, I'd say. That's enough drum beating for now, I'd say. :D

I'd like to meet you at one of these events, I get to Ottawa a couple times a year. When is this festival in Hull?

Kel
Re: Ottawa WMA Groups
Sam N. wrote:
After much searching, I came to the Ottawa Medieval Sword Guild website. There, to my dismay, I found they were not accepting members.

Does anyone know of any other good longsword groups in the Ottawa or Hull region? (or any longsword groups in the region for that matter?)

Don't be upset with OMSG. Their charter states a limited number of guild members to study and have armoured tournaments. They accept new trainees only when someone leaves. Go train with Jason and Co. He's on the path. :cool:
Kel Rekuta wrote:

Its all dagger, Jason. Sword is a longer dagger that cuts too, spear a reeeeallly long dagger. Poleaxe is all of the above. :lol:

Yes, somehow he convinced the college that his Viking sword & shield system, based on kendo would be an appropriate credit course. Fascinating. :p

I'd like to meet you at one of these events, I get to Ottawa a couple times a year. When is this festival in Hull?

Kel
:p

If you want to get technical, it's all wrestling. Your fist is a really short dagger, your dagger is a really short sword... :p

September. I'm not sure of the exact dates, but if your willing to come down and play in kit, you're very welcome to! :) And on your other remark, I'm pretty sure we've met before - at the OMSG camping weekend two years ago, we were the two guys from Québec with the huge-ass pavilion, if that refreshes your memory :D. We've been working very hard since to get a decent program in place, all while continuing to learn. It's important to remember we're all still learning this art...
Re: Ottawa WMA Groups
Kel Rekuta wrote:

Don't be upset with OMSG. Their charter states a limited number of guild members to study and have armoured tournaments. They accept new trainees only when someone leaves. Go train with Jason and Co. He's on the path. :cool:

Thanks Kel, much obliged. To second Kel's comment - the OMSG is a guild, and doesn't purport to be a school of any kind. They're good guys, but aren't into taking on large bodies of students, at least not last I heard. Sorry if my information is outdated.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: