Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Knights of Malta sword type during 1565 siege of Malta Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ryan C.

PostPosted: Mon 25 Jun, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Knights of Malta sword type during 1565 siege of Malta         Reply with quote

Hi all,

Reading a book called THE RELIGION, a novel about the Turkish siege of Malta. Fantastic and highly recommended. IRONFIRE is another great book about the siege (also fiction). What a fantastic story.

This being a later period than my typical interests, I was curious what type of swords the Maltese Knights were likely to have had during this battle?
Allen Reed

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jun, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Knights of Malta sword type during 1565 siege of Malta         Reply with quote

Ryan C. wrote:
Hi all,

Reading a book called THE RELIGION, a novel about the Turkish siege of Malta. Fantastic and highly recommended. IRONFIRE is another great book about the siege (also fiction). What a fantastic story.

This being a later period than my typical interests, I was curious what type of swords the Maltese Knights were likely to have had during this battle?

I would think t they would have been armed with swords that were used in the rest of Europe for the time period.

This would include single handed swords for some uses but in a major battle probably would be longswords.

Allen
Alfonso Asensio

PostPosted: Mon 01 Feb, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

hello

this is an old topic but i just came back from a trip to Malta and visited the Order armoury, pretty impressive. I was surprised though to see that apart from two hand a a half and a few others, all swords were rapiers or, in some cases early form of rapiers with a somehow thicker blade. I also visited a Knights of St john exhibition which showed scenes of the siege with the knights armed with "transition swords" bigger than rapiers but one handed and with sofisticated ring protections over the cross guard, i had teh impression tehy were slightly thin bladed. All knights were wearing plate armour and for the ottoman soldiers they presented mail and round shields at both eth exhibition and the armoury. i was quite surprised because i never thought a rapier-like blade will be the best option against an armoured opponent. also in the "Great siege" by ernle bradford he only mentions "two handed swords" but i have the feeling he is talking about bastard swords in there.
i have seen this also in the "warriors" episode about the malta siege and they showed also rapier-like swords if i remember correctly (i maybe wrong)
My impresion was that at this time, 1565, swords were lighter than the 15th century bastards swords but still robust enough for combat against armored opponents, a bit in the line of the albion Machiavelli but decididly not rapiers or thin bladed thrusting weapons
I am very curious about this, any input will be very welcomed

thank you
Paul Hansen

PostPosted: Thu 04 Feb, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do you happen to have pictures of these exhibitions?

What you call "rapiers" may actually be cut and thrust swords with an type XIX blade, but with a complex hilt. These were also popular with the famous Spanish rodeleros (sword & buckler men). The Bolognese school of fencing (Marrozo and others) deals with this kind of sword.
Alfonso Asensio

PostPosted: Mon 08 Feb, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

sorry, I had no chance to take pictures. It may be as you say although the blades seemed to me thin and quite long, very much on the XVII century tradition. I actually found a related tread in the archives where these swords were discussed which was quite helpful
thanks

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Knights of Malta sword type during 1565 siege of Malta
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic