Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A New Friend Reborn Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jun, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: A New Friend Reborn         Reply with quote

Well I'm writing this about a week late, but after getting other informated people's opinions and thoughts I am posting this now. In short, I got my Tinker Type XIV sword back from Christian Fletcher and it has been reborn.

The major point of note, aside from the excellent scabbard and belt he made for it, was the regrip he made for me with a prominent central cord riser and leather regrip in place of the smooth pigskin grip it sported previously. In short, it handles fantastically better now than it did before!

In my opinion, the secret is the cord riser in the center. It helps by giving both a good grip retention,and by providing a good tactile point for edge alignment and hand placement. I also believe it is right over, or close to, the grip node so that it makes the sword faster when making cuts one handed doing moullinets (spelling?).

The center of balance is about two inches from the guard and the weight we estimate is about 2.5 lbs. Blade length is about 35-inches and grip length is about nine inches. I'm not sure exactly where the COP is, but it's about 4-5 inches from the tip.

One of my salle-mates said that it feels and cuts almost like a Katana in the feel of its weight and balance. It's a fast and nimble sword and points really fast. I'm in love again... ;-)

The picture that Christian sent me is attached. More pictures, including the hilt, will be forthcoming.

Regards,

Bryce

Attachment: 30.62 KB
Sword.jpg

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jun, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks nice. Happy I'm not sure, though, that you can call it a Type XIV if the grip length is 9 inches. It certainly would be atypical with that long a grip and with its straight cross.

Being a former owner of Tinker's work, though, I know he doesn't always bind himself strictly to the old types, preferring his own brand of creativity. Happy

Christian's work is always nice, too. That's a nice and unique ensemble you have there.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jun, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Looks nice. Happy I'm not sure, though, that you can call it a Type XIV if the grip length is 9 inches. It certainly would be atypical with that long a grip and with its straight cross.

Being a former owner of Tinker's work, though, I know he doesn't always bind himself strictly to the old types, preferring his own brand of creativity. Happy

Christian's work is always nice, too. That's a nice and unique ensemble you have there.

As usual Chad you are right on. For lack of a better classification I'm calling it a Type XIV because of the blade shape, not the hilt, which as you say has a longer grip than normal. Historical accuracy aside though it is a great sword and works well in a both a two handed and one handed grip.

Also, as a salle-mate pointed out to me, the belt attachment for the scabbard is a bit a-historical too for the period of a Type XIV, but I asked for a detachable scabbard for a good reason...so I could take it off when sitting down while at Ren faires. ;-)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > A New Friend Reborn
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic