Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 14th Century Armor Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Troy G L Williams

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jun, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: 14th Century Armor         Reply with quote

I am searching out early to mid 14th Century Armor that is made well, period, and won't break the bank. I believe I have found the armorer I will use for the "Hourglass Gauntlets" but armor to cover my arms, legs, and chest I am at a loss. I have searched many websites and have not been able to narrow down who would be the best for the work. Another issue I am having is the gambeson for underneathe the armor. I do have a pourpoint to attach the legs, however I have not found a gambeson that has the proper lacing for the pauldrons and the lower arm armor. Can anyone help?
v/r,
Troy Williams

"It’s merely a flesh wound." -Monty Python and the Holy Grail
James Barker

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jun, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Armor changes fast in the 14th century; if you have hourglass guantlets then you must be doing late 1360 on, do you have a time frame or total look in mind? What is your goal: SCA, living history, or HWMA combat?
James Barker
Historic Life http://www.historiclife.com/index.html
Archer in La Belle Compagnie http://www.labelle.org/
Nathan Keysor

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jun, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've bought some stuff from Steel-Mastery.com in the Ukraine. They do nice work for the price although you have to pay airmail shipping from the Ukraine. The armour of the early 14th Century is a great do-it-yourself project. If you have a pro do your bascinet and gauntlets you could probably do the coat of plates with a splinted leather defense for the arms and legs fairly cheap. There are a lot of patterns on the web. You could also buy a book on medieval brasses which are very informative as to the huge variation in 14th century transitional armour.

Nathan

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Shawn Henthorn

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jun, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

yeah, I have bought a basinet from Steel-mastery and I love it. I honesty don't think you could get a better one for under $500. I am kind of sad because I might have to sell it Cry
Troy G L Williams

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jun, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you all for your assistance. I guess I am looking for more of the mid to the latter part of the 14th Century. Right now I'm collecting armor and such for my own hobby but once I return from Iraq I am looking into joing the SCA. So eventually I would like to be able to use it for fighting. I have looked over the requirements for the local organizations and I want to ensure that the majority of the armor I purchase can be used. I have looked over Steel-Mastery and they do seem to have good armor and great prices. I recently purchased a "Pig Nose" basinet with aventail from By The Sword. They were very helpful. They do have some 14th Century armor for covering the arms but the total from pauldrons to cannons is around $900. A little more then I wanted to pay but they are custom fit and it's an American company. Though I have purchased armor from the Ukraine before. I have attached an image of basically what I am looking for. Appreciate the assistance.

Attachment: 122.54 KB
John de Cobham 1354.jpg
John de Cobham effigy died 1354

v/r,
Troy Williams

Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jun, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The earliest hourglass gauntlets I have seen dated were the one Thordman uses in the wisby book. It is dated to the early 1360's. There are some pictures that look like hourglass gauntlets from the 1350's I have seen as well. Before 1350 you mostly have gauntlets that are in more smaller pieces.

RPM
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jun, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Troy G L Williams wrote:
A little more then I wanted to pay but they are custom fit and it's an American company. Though I have purchased armor from the Ukraine before.

Much of By The Sword's armour (if not all of it) comes from overseas, whether it's Europe, India, or China. The stuff By The Sword allows you to custom fit comes from Outfit4Events, a Czech firm.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Troy G L Williams

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jun, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, I am mistaken with By The Sword's products being from the United States. I should've figured it was from over seas. I don't mind purchasing from over seas it's just the shipping costs can kill you. The items I have recieved from accross the water have all been GREAT. I'm thinking the shipping costs just aren't that big of a deal. Many thanks.
v/r,
Troy Williams

Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jun, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually By The Sword's line up is from all over. The usual India stuff of course but a wide array of domestic work as well. About two years ago they went after alot of folks selling thier wares on ebay or through thier own sites domestically and worked out wholesale deals to carry thier stuff. They even have the fantasy armourer who filled our old slot at a local renfaires stuff.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 14th Century Armor
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic