Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass Type XIV: A personal view.Product Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jun, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michal Plezia wrote:
Is it a sharpened version?

No, I only have one sharp sword in the house. I don't want to give my wife any ideas. WTF?!

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jun, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ed Toton wrote:

You guys are sick. SICK! Just like me. Heh Happy

At least I'm not alone! Cool

Are you scared, Connor?
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jun, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
No, I only have one sharp sword in the house. I don't want to give my wife any ideas. WTF?!

How are you going to use your new blades?More as a part of the collection or for sparing?

www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jun, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ed Toton wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Gary A. Chelette wrote:
Bryce Felperin wrote:
There's something about handling a good sword with perfect balance and weight that just gives you a glow all over...and NO I do not sleep with it! ;-)

Oh? You don't? Why not? Big Grin

Just never sleep with it without a scabbard. Eek! Always practice safe S ....... I mean sword. Razz Laughing Out Loud

And what wrong with a lttle nap with a favorite sword. Wink Wink

You guys are sick. SICK! Just like me. Heh Happy

Well...I probably will be sleeping with it at the next Renaissance Faire since I'll be sleeping on site then. ;-)

All I can say is woe to the camp intruder who wakes me from my sleep!
Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jun, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryce Felperin wrote:

Well...I probably will be sleeping with it at the next Renaissance Faire since I'll be sleeping on site then. ;-)

Unless she's real pretty! Laughing Out Loud

Are you scared, Connor?
Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jun, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michal Plezia wrote:
How are you going to use your new blades?More as a part of the collection or for sparing?

No Sir: I don't spar with sharp objects anymore. As I had said before, I have sparred many times with live and sharpened steel and once I was even sober. Razz
Old men and sharp steel, BAD!!!! Bad combo!!!

Are you scared, Connor?
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jun, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary A. Chelette wrote:
Bryce Felperin wrote:

The sword, or the intruder? Happy

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jun, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ed Toton wrote:
Gary A. Chelette wrote:
Bryce Felperin wrote:

I'd vote for both! ;-)
Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Sun 01 Jul, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bryce Felperin wrote:
Ed Toton wrote:
Gary A. Chelette wrote:
Bryce Felperin wrote:

I'd vote for both! ;-)

They would both need to be "well tempered".
Big Grin

Are you scared, Connor?
Brandon B

PostPosted: Fri 23 Jan, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Windlass XIV Durability         Reply with quote

I just purchased one of these Windlass XIV beauties, and was wondering how well they are holding up for any other owners of them? I was also wondering why the Albion's and Del Tin's have a nice ring to it when struck against a metal object, while my windlass XIV sounds dead.

There are a few things I noticed about the Windlass XIV as opposed to the Albion Sovereign and Yeoman. One thing is that the blade is the accurate historic length from Ewartt Oakeshott's drawing. The drawing Ewartt Oakeshott made states that the blade is 26 1/4" long and it also shows a spine for improved thrusting at the tip unlike the Albion versions. The Windlass sword is similar to type XVI like Oakeshott's drawing which is uncommon for type XIV swords, but the shortness of the blade and how it swells at the crossguard makes it a type XIV for sure.

Another thing I noticed is that the Albion swords have the width more correct however as well as the cross guard length. One thing I love about Albion swords is the detail to the distal taper. My windlass XIV seems to keep it's thickness for almost the whole length of the blade. This doesn't hurt however because it has excellent balance and I wouldn't want the blade any lighter. I think that if Windlass made the steel a little thicker at the base as well as making it wider, and then had a good distal taper it would probably handle the same as it does now, but cut a little better and have improved thrusting.

Overall I love the sword, and am glad I made the purchase.

I have a couple of questions?
Does anyone know if there is any art showing Archers or horsemen carrying this type of sword?
Also is the steel 1085?

May God grant us the wisdom to discover the right, the strength to choose it, and the will to make it endure. - First Knight
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2009 3:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bought one about the same time as Gary and agree completely with his review. Mine has some distal taper -more than Windlass usually has- but is not what you would call thick at the base. I don't think they can afford to do this to keep the price point but rather use stock that is pretty much shaped to the uniform maximum thickness of the sword to use the minimum amount of steel in production. Mine has held up well - no loosening of the hilt. My only possible complaint is that the forte twists slightly where it joins the guard - but given the amount of asymmetries that one sees in historical pieces I think we are likely too paranoid about such minor defects. I have used this sword a lot for dry handling because its my only one short enough not to cut a hole in the basement ceiling! Alas I will not be comparing mine to the Albion model any time soon - until they drop their prices and/or find a retailer up here in the great white North. (inhaling for a very long breath).
Steven Janus

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own a Yeoman, I love mine. However before getting it, I did almost buy the Windlass XIV due to the good reviews it has gotten. Then Albion had the October sale, 20% off or so. I couldn't miss it so that's how I got my first and only Next Gen sword! I may still get the Windlass verison some day to use for pracitce sharpenning and learn how to make a cord wrapped hilt on it.
Newbie Sword collector
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Having recently had the myArmoury.com contest with the Albion Yeoman and the Windlass "Type IV" sword, I can say that the two swords are not easily directly comparable. They are very different swords and are not similar at all.

Having said this, I can say that both are excellent products. The Windlass surprised me, given its price point, and shows to be a very good value for its asking price. To say it's a less expensive version of the Yeoman (which is what I may have thought before getting them both in hand) would not be accurate.

I'd like to own them both, myself.

Attachment: 31.45 KB
TYPEXIVs.jpg
Windlass "Type IV" and Albion Yeoman swords

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sat 24 Jan, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Windlass XIV to Albion comparison         Reply with quote

I agree with Nathan in that you really can't compare the two because they are so different. About the only similarity between them is that the Sovereign has the same style pommel, and the Yeoman looks a little bit like the drawing of Oakeshotts in the XIV category of swords. I would particularly like to own the Sovereign at some point in time. Thanks for the input Nathan, I was wondering how the Yeoman and Windlass XIV felt side by side.

I sure love my Albion pieces, and the detail on them is unbelievable. I also feel that I got one of the best pieces Windlass has ever made. It is hands down better than my Windlass Arbedo typ XVIIIa sword. The Arbedo is less than 3/16" stock throughout the blade, and the guard rattles. The lines also aren't as cleanly executed. One thing I was really impressed by is that the leather scabbard for the Windlass XIV is twice the scabbard my Arbedo came with. The XIV scabbard is made of thicker leather, and they made the leather swell towards the mouth of the scabbard so it hugs the blade and doesn't immediately fall to the ground when held upside down. I sure enjoy hearing everyone's input about these swords, keep it up.

May God grant us the wisdom to discover the right, the strength to choose it, and the will to make it endure. - First Knight
Brandon B

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Pommel question for Windlass XIV         Reply with quote

I noticed in the official review for this sword that it states the pommel is a type J1. While looking through "Records of the Medieval Sword" on page 124 the pommel on that example looks very similar to the Windlass XIV and is classified as a type K. I think type K would be more accurate for this sword but want some input. K just looks like a better fit as most type J1 pommels secondary disk is closer to the primary disks. Any input would be great. I have included a picture of the XIV.8 from page 124 of oakshott' book.

Attachment: 180.81 KB
[ Download ]

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Windlass Type XIV: A personal view.Product Review
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: