Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL/Windlass Longsword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gary A. Chelette

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jun, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: MRL/Windlass Longsword         Reply with quote

Can anyone give me their view on this longsword?
I'm very interested in it.
It's a Windlass from Kult of Athena

Are you scared, Connor?
No, Cousin Dugal. I'm not!
Don't talk nonsense, man. I peed my kilt the first time I went into battle.
Oh, aye. Angus pees his kilt all the time!
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jun, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know this sword personally but the blade looks like a type XXa and like this one from Albion:
http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...oy-xxa.htm

The hilt does seem simpler and less interesting but at the much lower price it still look credible historically ( Could be wrong ?).

Kult of Athena is a good reliable dealer and you could e-mail them if you have specific questions about the sword and they will give you an honest answer about quality and durability, as well they have a good return policy should it not meet your expectations as long as you ship it back in the same condition you got it. ( This goes double if the product has a defect as opposed to just changing your mind were you might have to pay for shipping back ? You should double check that just to be sure).

You could also P.M. Bob Burns who is a member here and who has offered to go examine product at Kult of Athena and give his opinion on it if other members here need help deciding. ( he live close by and goes to Kult of Athena often, so he can check things out for you ).

Note: Bob I hope you don't mind my mentioning the above since I remember your offering to do this when possible or practical for you.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jun, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Jean. Big Grin

I'll call KoA and ask about it. They have been out all last week. I ordered the St. Mike Falchion.
Going to try and do a report on the new Windlass Type XIV I just got from them. I wanted to do it with the New Coustille as a pair. They look very simular and looks like they'd be a nice pair.

Are you scared, Connor?
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jun, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary,

Someone just posted a custom MRL Longsword (the one you are asking about) in the Classifieds, it looks very nice!

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Ray Harrington

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jun, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bought one from KoA in April, I haven't cut with it yet but I done some thrusting with it to see how it would preform.It did pretty go for how flexible the blade is. It went ten inches deep in my archery foam target and I have some thick and heavy card board tubbing used for carpets, it also went about ten inches through the tubbing ,then I taped some 8 oz leather on the tubbing ,it went through the leather and one side of the tubbing but it didn't go through the other side.
Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jun, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ray Harrington wrote:
I bought one from KoA in April, I haven't cut with it yet but I done some thrusting with it to see how it would preform.It did pretty go for how flexible the blade is. It went ten inches deep in my archery foam target and I have some thick and heavy card board tubbing used for carpets, it also went about ten inches through the tubbing ,then I taped some 8 oz leather on the tubbing ,it went through the leather and one side of the tubbing but it didn't go through the other side.

Great, how does it feel overall? Is the handle long enuff for good 2 hand cut?

Are you scared, Connor?
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jun, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: MRL/Windlass Longsword         Reply with quote

Gary A. Chelette wrote:
Can anyone give me their view on this longsword?
I'm very interested in it.
It's a Windlass from Kult of Athena

Which one is that? What is the brand name on it? Does it list the wieght etc.? That will tell us something to go by. For a 'typical' longsword you want something in the 2- 3.5 lbs range roughly.

MRL swords are a bit more historically accurate or realistic of the lower end replicas, but from my very limited experience, and from what I read online, they may not be as sturdy or robust, or as good cutters as some of the other brands. I understand the newer ones are much better. I'm interested in their 15th century longsword, which looks great on paper, but I've been waiting to see if I can find some more feedback on it.

I have an MRL katzbalger, which is an old model of theirs which I think may even be discontinued. It's a good cutter though it's way too heavy, it's gotten nicked up a bit from some light use, but overall I'm happy with it and I haven't had any problems with the hilt which some people have complained about re: MRL. I think a lot of people just put epoxy resin in the hilts.

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jun, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: MRL/Windlass Longsword         Reply with quote

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:
Which one is that? What is the brand name on it? Does it list the wieght etc.? That will tell us something to go by. For a 'typical' longsword you want something in the 2- 3.5 lbs range roughly.

MRL swords are a bit more historically accurate or realistic of the lower end replicas, but from my very limited experience, and from what I read online, they may not be as sturdy or robust, or as good cutters as some of the other brands. I understand the newer ones are much better. I'm interested in their 15th century longsword, which looks great on paper, but I've been waiting to see if I can find some more feedback on it.

It's called the "Long Sword." Some stats are on its page at Kult of Athena: http://kultofathena.com/product~item~500794~name~Long+Sword.htm

Or on MRL's site:

http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/eCat/s...sword.aspx

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Ray Harrington

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jun, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sword handles fine for me, the POB is about 6inches which is the length of the ricasso. I have done some pell work with my sword and it is fine, the hilt as not loosen at all.

If you look at the image I posted of the handle the overall length of the handle is 9 inches (not including the nut at the end )the leather grip is 6 inches and you can grip about 2 1/2 inches of the pommel .

http://www.kultofathena.com/images%5C500794_2_l.jpg
Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jun, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I am thinking about getting this one. Called KoA and spoke to the salesman there and got more questions answered.

Chad Arnow has given me an ok to do a sorta review here on the Windlass Type XIV sword that I just got in.
I'm going to do a photo or two of it and recieved permission from KoA to use their photos of it if I wished. I never have done a review of a sword before, so be gentle with me on this one. Big Grin
Give me a couple of days to put it all together.
Then I'll get the Longsword. Thanks for all your help guys! Cool

Are you scared, Connor?
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary A. Chelette wrote:
Thanks guys, I am thinking about getting this one. Called KoA and spoke to the salesman there and got more questions answered.

Chad Arnow has given me an ok to do a sorta review here on the Windlass Type XIV sword that I just got in.
I'm going to do a photo or two of it and recieved permission from KoA to use their photos of it if I wished. I never have done a review of a sword before, so be gentle with me on this one. Big Grin

Look forward to seeing your review. I'm real interested in some of the newer MRL offerings.

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary A. Chelette wrote:

Good and thanks: having people volunteer to do reviews is very much appreciated by Nathan, Chad and everybody who
almost " lives " here on line. Cool Laughing Out Loud

It may take some time before the review gets published though as it depends on how many other feature articles are cued-up so don't be disappointed if it takes a while.

Don't worry about it you will get the support and advice you need to do the review and I very much look forward to reading it.

I'm assuming that you will be as objective as you can with it but it is also a personal opinion piece and the good as well as the bad or just minor negatives should be mentioned. Anyway, it is really not up to me to give you advice on this, as it might be inaccurate ? But please don't feel shy about doing a review or reviews. Cool Big Grin

Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jun, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you ,Jean.
I'll give a good try and work hard at the spelling part! Big Grin
I got my Falchion by UPS last night and haven't really looked at it much.

I was looking at the Type XIV over the weekend at 8X magnification on the blade. It tells a nice story if you know how to read it.

Unfortunately, I haven't learned that language, yet. Big Grin

Are you scared, Connor?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jun, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary A. Chelette wrote:

You don't need my permission to post in the forums, of course. Happy Cool I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the sword. It's a nice piece.

Happy

ChadA

Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jun, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is a very nice piece. I was very surprised. I want to order it with MRL New Coustille but both were out of stock for 30 to 45 days or more. I went to KoA and got the Type XIV and still waiting on the New Coustille. They are both simular in style and look good together, so I wanted them as a pair.

Going to this weekend before I get to it. I want to do some photos of it.

Are you scared, Connor?
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jun, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gary A. Chelette wrote:
Thank you ,Jean.
I'll give a good try and work hard at the spelling part! Big Grin
I got my Falchion by UPS last night and haven't really looked at it much.

I was looking at the Type XIV over the weekend at 8X magnification on the blade. It tells a nice story if you know how to read it.

Unfortunately, I haven't learned that language, yet. Big Grin

Oh, I would make a distinction between a simple review post on the Forum and the more elaborate " REVIEWS " that have a set format and pics and are coordinated/edited by the official administrators: I thought you meant that kind of official review !

A more informal review is also welcome but if you are going to make it long and detailed anyway I would contact Chad about going that route.

I'm assuming that you are familiar with the " Review " features at the top of the page ? Sometimes people join the Forums and don't check out all the feature articles and other content available. ( Just mentioning it in case you missed seeing the Reviews or if not for others who may have missed them ! Sometimes those of us who have been here a while forget that others may not have notices a lot of the cool content on this site. Wink )

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jun, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
A more informal review is also welcome but if you are going to make it long and detailed anyway I would contact Chad about going that route.

I'm assuming that you are familiar with the " Review " features at the top of the page ? Sometimes people join the Forums and don't check out all the feature articles and other content available. ( Just mentioning it in case you missed seeing the Reviews or if not for others who may have missed them ! Sometimes those of us who have been here a while forget that others may not have notices a lot of the cool content on this site. Wink )

We've already talked about it. Happy Since we have a formal review in the works already, Gary's agreed to post an informal review on the forums.

Happy

ChadA

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jun, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

We've already talked about it. Happy Since we have a formal review in the works already, Gary's agreed to post an informal review on the forums.

Ah, good then. Cool Maybe still useful that I brought it up as occasional reminders to people about contributing reviews or other content to the site can't hurt and new members may not have gone back to old Topic posts on the FEATURES TALK forum and not be aware that the site needs and asks people to contribute content if they can.

Anyway my suggestions were directed at Gary in part but were also for the peanut gallery as well. Wink Laughing Out Loud

And I look forward to Gary's " informal " review as well. Cool Big Grin

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Fri 22 Jun, 2007 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Gary A. Chelette

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jun, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I guess that I will give a good review but not like the Official Review that better educated people would do.

I'll give my impressions, but I also want to include how I feel about the item. The feel you have when you pick up something special and images of the past dance through your mind.
I'll be as neutral as I can, but I'll also express my personal feeling and reasons for buying the item as well.
Who wants to buy a sword that doesn't make you feel the wonder and awe at the touch of it?
I'll be working on the pictures tomorrow and arranging my thoughts on this .

Are you scared, Connor?
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 22 Jun, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes the subjective parts of an evaluation are very valuable as well as the more statistical and more easily quantifiable attributes. One can even praise many things and still arrive at a conclusion that one personally doesn't like a sword.

Or one can find flaws objectively and still find things that one likes. Wink Cool Anyway, looking forward to the review and I'm starting ( maybe already to late ) repeating myself and distracting from discussing the sword. Blush Big Grin .

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > MRL/Windlass Longsword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic