Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Suggestions, Requests and Support > English Wallpapers Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Edward Gibson

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jun, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject: English Wallpapers         Reply with quote

I was impressed by this site after reading Frank Docherty's excellent piece on the Seaxe. I then got rather excited by the wallpaper download section, hoping it might include something English. Any chance of a wallpaper based around the Thames Seaxe? It isn't the most glamorous piece I know, but the runic script could be got up to look quite brooding and mysterious with a bit of imagination - and some of the wallpapers are rather good on that count. Alternatively could someone suggest a freeware utility for DIY picture conversion? Many thanks.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 19 Jun, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a good suggestion. I have it in mind to do more wallpapers and graphics just for my own purpose of offering a creative distraction. Unfortunately, such energy is spent on other subjects recently away from the swords and armour world. I'll see if I can talk myself into this subject again Happy

There is some suggestion of graphics software in our Info Page now.

Cheers!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Edward Gibson

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
That's a good suggestion. I have it in mind to do more wallpapers and graphics just for my own purpose of offering a creative distraction. Unfortunately, such energy is spent on other subjects recently away from the swords and armour world. I'll see if I can talk myself into this subject again Happy

There is some suggestion of graphics software in our Info Page now.

Cheers!

Thank you for this. It would be wonderful if you could manage it, though I know how busy you must be. The problem with first millennium England is not just the usual one of sources. The '1066 and all that' approach of state education is the norman elite's chief political means of discouraging interest in our natural identity.

Thus if I say that one or two visual flourishes based around the real English would probably increase traffic to the site it's partly because there isn't a great deal of competition out there. But there's also the political climate to consider. Today's English - rightly or wrongly; I've no wish to introduce politics into the discussion - feel they have to shout to make themselves heard. This has increased interest in the identity 'Britishness' (and the 'British' state) denies, and since Hollywood bats for the neighbours, and seems content to portray England as author of all the world's misfortunes, I suspect anything which re-connects people to a past they feel they could and should know more about would, if you could manage it and as small a thing as it might seem, be seized upon gratefully by a wider audience.

I might even get my hand in my pocket....... Wink

Edward

P.S. Is it 'Seaxe' or 'Seax'? I've seen it spelt both ways so often I'm not sure which to use any more.

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Suggestions, Requests and Support > English Wallpapers
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic