Cleveland Museum of Art
Going to try positng this here, and hope it not in the wrong palce. I trust it will be moved if it is. :)

Anyway....this weekend I loaded the family into the car and went for a weekend excurision to the Cleveland (Ohio) Museum of Art. before everyone assumes I'm trying to get cultured, let me assure you there was a sword related purpose to the trip.

The Armer Gallery.

This museum maintains a vary nice collection of old European including tapestries, icons, paintings, and Armour/Weapons. The collection is interesting but not huge, probably less than 400 items. However it is orginal material and it is interesting.

Some quick observations...

No pictures rule really sticks.

Rapiers really did come in a wide variety of forms.

Most tournament armer showed use with marks from blows on the helm or visor on what would be the wearers left side. Although this is well documented, its still interesting to see it for real.

Chain was all riveted but some of it used amazingly thin and small links.

Most of the swords I could get a decent view of up close seemed to exhibit profile and distal taper although the taper was not always even and consistent.

Our ancestors r-e-a-l-l-y liked engraving as almost every surface of everthing had some kind of decoration. Some of it was downright effete.

Almost all of the wood hafted weapons had some kind of metal reinforcing that also appeared to serve as decoration.

I would not want to get hit with a crossbow bolt.

A 400 year old Katar was the most exquizitly crafted weapon I saw (not in the armour gallery).

In the 1960's the Museum reduced its collection. Seeing some of the old photos pre-1920 of the collection, this seems a shame but was probably necessary. Ironically they noted a drop in attendence after trading much of the arms collection away because pieces were deemed suspect or of low quality. The museum has apparently been scambling to get the collection back in order ever since.

Summary...if you are within a couple hundred miles of Cleveland its worth the drive to see this stuff. But be warned in advance that it will liekly make you want to plot trips to the Higgins and the Met.
Hey Joe,

Did you by chance happen to notice if they had a little celtic anthropomorphic sword/dagger there on display? I had thought I found a pretty good picture of one on their website at one time, but can't seem to find it anymore.

Thanks
Shane
Hi Joe,

Yup, been to the Cleveland MoA several times myself. I was surprised that
they had more exhibited than they did at the Chicago Art Institute, though
supposedly they have a lot more in storage than Cleveland does. When we
were there last, I did manage to sneak a bunch of photos before the
security guard read me the riot act (the collection is on loan apparently).
Of course, none of the basket hilt pictures came out (could have used a digital
camera as they were in a glass case). A nice liner on one of those baskets too.
One of the things I personally liked most were some of the flowling pieces. Those
two had all manner of engraving, inlaying, blueing. Simply some beautiful weapons
just to go duck hunting. Some other parts of the museum that were cool were
the Egyptian section and the Byzantine sections. Good stuff.

Thanks for the post!

Alex

Last edited by Alex McCracken on Tue 17 Feb, 2004 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Re: Cleveland Museum of Art
Joe Fults wrote:
Our ancestors r-e-a-l-l-y liked engraving as almost every surface of everthing had some kind of decoration. Some of it was downright effete.

It might be more accurate to comment that modern (essentially Victorian) collections found highly decorated artifacts more attractive. Appreciation for simple, functional tools was sadly lacking in many instances.

Cheers!

Kel Rekuta
Shane Allee wrote:
Hey Joe,

Did you by chance happen to notice if they had a little celtic anthropomorphic sword/dagger there on display? I had thought I found a pretty good picture of one on their website at one time, but can't seem to find it anymore.

Thanks
Shane

Shane, you aren't thinking of the one at the Met by any chance?

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/ho/04/euw/ho_1999.94a-d.htm
Checked out the Met's site and there it was... Thanks Scott

Shane
Hi Joe,

I've been wanting to go to the Cleveland Museum for some time now, just never got around to making the trip. I'll make do when the Frazier Historical Arms Museum opens in May.

Here are some pictures from the Art Institute of Chicago that I found online. Enjoy!

Attachment: 40.17 KB
DSC00510.jpg

Attachment: 44.03 KB
DSC00511.jpg

Attachment: 43.72 KB
Chicago.jpg

Art Institute of Chicago

Attachment: 40.03 KB
DSC00512.jpg

Attachment: 40.51 KB
DSC00513.jpg

Attachment: 40.49 KB
DSC00514.jpg

Steve,

Why did you have to go and post those pictures?!

Now you have me really wanting to go back to Chicago so I can visit that museum too. I really hated driving in that city the last time I was there!!! :eek:

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: