Hangers and Rapiers at the Royal Armouries.
Just thought folks would like to see these shots I sneaked at the royal armouries last summer.[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
:surprised: .. very nice swords.. :D what I wouldn't give for a rapier like that..
I love the one immediately to the right of the center in the second picture. That just calls out to me.
Geoff Freeman wrote:
I love the one immediately to the right of the center in the second picture. That just calls out to me.

I believe that's the same rapier as the photo featured here in the photo albums. There's a bit more information on it here, but no measurements, unfortunately.
Susan, you sneaky thing.

So, where are the hangers?
Scott Bubar wrote:
Susan, you sneaky thing.

So, where are the hangers?

Bottom left of the second picture last two blades. Last Blade on the bottom right, below two English Basket hilts.
For some reason the curve does not show so much, though it is only slight.

There are better pictures of all the blades in my shots in Arms and Armour of the English Civil Wars by David Blackmore published by the Royal Armouries.

Am always sneaky :p
On second thoughts Scott, they could be "Pattern Swords" Which seem to be a cross between a hanger and a proto Mortuary sword.

I find the styles of all these three, Pattern, proto mortuary and hanger, least to me, do tend to blend into each other depending on the blades themselves as each seems to have been made/altered for the individual at some point.
Thanks, Susan.

The little guy on the bottom right appeared "hangerish, though I can't see much of the blade. The two on the left appeared from what I can see to be full-scale swords. They also look a bit beyond "proto".
Sneaky? Is photography forbidden at the RA? If not, what are the restrictions?

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: