Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 12th century sword pommel, or small mace head? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jul, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: 12th century sword pommel, or small mace head?         Reply with quote

I found this pic last night while doing a GIS for the word “pommel”.

The site, http://weekend-wanderers.itgo.com/pictures11.htm ,which appears to be a metal detecting club based just north of London, has some cool finds. Apparently someone in the club is speculating that it may be a 12th century sword pommel.

At first glance it looked rather more like a small mace head to me, but the image gives no sense of scale. There appear to be two holes near the top that I would think are perfect for pinning to a haft.

Has anyone seen a pommel like this? If it is a pommel it's not like anything I've ever seen. If it is a mace, it's certainly unique as well.

Attachment: 14.69 KB
Pommel.JPG

Craig Peters

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jul, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My guess is that it's neither. Perhaps its a censer or something of that nature.
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jul, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It had occured to me that it was neither of the above, but it's a bit too crude to be a censer, I would think. As far as i am aware, censers are almost always elaborate 9or at least lovingly crafted) affairs. It could be the top of a bedpost for all I know, but I wondered if there was anything to the pommel claim, as it looks so unlike any pommel I've ever seen.

Even if it was a macehead, I've not seen many examples like it from England. Eastern Europe would be more feasible, but as I mentioned this was posted by a metal detecting club north of London.
Merv Cannon

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Mace Head ?         Reply with quote

Hi.......I seem to recall that I have a pic or period illustration somewhere of an item like this and it is of a Ceremonial Mace head of Office. Cant be sure, but it was of an open 'weave' design just like this. I'll see if I can dig it up.
Cheers

Merv ....... KOLR
http://www.lionrampant.com.au/

"Then let slip the dogs of war ! "......Woof !
Richard Wells

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,
I think it is remarkably well preserved for a piece of 12th century iron dug up from the ground. From the condition it is much later or if it is that period then it has the appearance of having survived out of the ground.
I suspect it is some sort of finial from decorative ironwork of a much later date. Possibly screen, tomb or some type of architectural embellishment. Its not a lot different from modern or perhaps Victorian so called 'period' curtain fittings. Gavin may be getting there with his bedpost theory !
I could be totally wrong though. We really need much more detail of the conditions of the find, site etc. Sadly it doesn't get recorded by the treasure seekers with their metal detectors !

Richard
Shawn Henthorn

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If it is a weapon I would guess a mace of some sort. Either ceremonial or a light mace because it appears as thought he holes on the edges look to me like they would be for a retaining nail and it looks like there are four holes instead of just two. Who knows, but it is fun to speculate.
Richard Wells

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some more thoughts on the mace theory.
A mace for use would by its very nature be solid, otherwise it would tend to crush or collapse on itself as soon as it was struck against something solid, for example armour etc. I havn't heard of a mace specially designed for use against un armoured persons or serfs with no head protection ! Some idea though !
A ceromonial mace is almost certainly going to be ornate and made of better than average material - precious metals etc. Who knows this could have had a gilt/gold plated finish.
Still think it is an architectural object of some sort.

Richard
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gavin Kisebach wrote:
It had occured to me that it was neither of the above, but it's a bit too crude to be a censer, I would think. As far as i am aware, censers are almost always elaborate 9or at least lovingly crafted) affairs.

I disagree Gavin. Based upon the numerous medieval antiques I've seen in various museums in France and Germany, I've noted that many 12th century items are rather simple, uncomplicated affairs, without a lot of design work. That isn't to imply that there aren't fancy items surviving from the 12th century; one only need look at some of the religious items in one of the churches in Hildesheim, for instance, to see that this is not the case. However, most of the items that I saw did not have the same degree of complexity or sophistication as later medieval artifacts. Most 12th century objects have the beauty of simple objects with just a bit of ornamentation.
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I should add that the bottom of the artifact does look more consistent with an ornamental mace head
David Martin

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think this line rules out the mace head theory:

"The item is about 1.5 inches high and hollow, it looks like bronze."

A hollow mace head 1.5" tall might be handy for bashing mice, but hardly anything else. Wink

"When war-gods meet to match their might,
who can tell the bravest born?
Many a hero never made a hole
in another man's breast."

- Sigurd, The Lay of Fafnir
Richard Wells

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a fascinating item.
What was (and still is) a common thing is a 'Beadles staff''. I suppose they originally were a weapon but became a symbol of office. Basically a hardwood staff, about 5'0" long with an ornamental head or finial. Similar staffs were common in all parish churches and were carried by vergers or sidesmen. The designs of the metal finial could be pretty varied from crowns, globes,acorns and other mace shapes. They could be quite simple as opposed to a ceremonial mace. I suppose they were in use from the 17th century to the present day.
Richard
Merv Cannon

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Mace ?         Reply with quote

Richard Wells wrote:
This is a fascinating item.
What was (and still is) a common thing is a 'Beadles staff''. I suppose they originally were a weapon but became a symbol of office. Basically a hardwood staff, about 5'0" long with an ornamental head or finial. Similar staffs were common in all parish churches and were carried by vergers or sidesmen. The designs of the metal finial could be pretty varied from crowns, globes,acorns and other mace shapes. They could be quite simple as opposed to a ceremonial mace. I suppose they were in use from the 17th century to the present day.
Richard

Thank you Richard !
This is what I was trying to say but you have articulated it with the greater precision !
I had'nt heard of the term 'Beadles Staff' before. It sounds a lot more eloquent than "little bronze nobby-knocker thingy" and I shall do some research on them.
Cheers !

Merv ....... KOLR

Merv Cannon

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jul, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Mace ?         Reply with quote

Heres the only shot I could find of a parish "Beadle" and his mace-staff that I could find lthough its fairly of a late period.
I must admit, untill this post, I thought a "Beadle " was a type of Dog ! ...so, there you go , we learn lots of new stuff on this forum !
( What is a "Beadle "anyway ? )

Cheers !

Attachment: 110.66 KB
Parish Beadle in civic costume holding a staff,.jpg

Merv ....... KOLR

Last edited by Merv Cannon on Sat 14 Jul, 2007 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard Wells

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jul, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Merv,
I quite like your nobby - knocker thingy description - as acurate as anything else for an unknown object. As for the Beadle's staff - I suppose thats what one calls a staff carried by a beadle. I must get out and photograph some as I couldn't find much on the net.
I've found a mace photo which in silhoutte is very similar but of course is solid. It is 12th/13th century and in the British Museum.
I think we are in great danger of seeing what we want to. I've found a few pics of architectural finials-all sorts of things including spear heads. After 50 years in the ground they could be real puzzles. When I was small I found a spike from some ornamental railings in the garden. For years I clung to the belief it was a spearhead - the innocence of youth !!!
Here's the mace picture.
Richard.

Attachment: 3.42 KB
12th13th century copper alloy mace,British Mueum.jpg

Richard Wells

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jul, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry - I didn't mean to send three pictures !!!!!!!!! Some more computer lessons from my son are needed !
Richard
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jul, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Richard Wells wrote:
Sorry - I didn't mean to send three pictures !!!!!!!!! Some more computer lessons from my son are needed !
Richard

You can go back and edit a post for a couple of weeks after it was first posted. That's better than leaving the post incorrect and then adding another post to talk about it. Happy Cool It's the little "e" button that looks like this:

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 12th century sword pommel, or small mace head?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic