Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Martial use of whips? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Bram Verbeek

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

750 M/h? that seems a little on the high side to me, this means a radial accelleration wich is off the charts at the hand. Furtermore do I think that the tip will travel at speeds a little more away from the speed of sound (in this calculation it is only 7 m/s lower) due to its profile. if the whip is, say 3m, you would have to make a full circle in 3*2*3.14/333 s, or 0,057 seconds, I seriously doubt anything like that is possible.

as for enraging the agressor, That is something that will lull him into making mistakes, you are not required to keep using the whip after the first stroke...
Marton Pap

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martin Forrester wrote:
If your going to start sticking heavy stuff on the end, then where does whip stop and flail start?

I think the lead ball shouldn't be bigger than a bullet. The whip itself is quite heavy so I think it wouldn't effect the control too much.
I have found a source of a guy who had a squad of 150 horseman using this weapon during the war of independence in 1848-1849. Unfortunately the source is in Hungarian but for the meantime I link it here, until I find an English version, or some other sources. http://www.sulinet.hu/tart/cikk/Rbg/0/15447/1
Best regards!
Keith Kipferl

PostPosted: Thu 14 Jun, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In my younger days I was quite good with a whip. Mine were always ten to twelve feet long. They could be useful in a duel or for one or two strikes in combat before the opponent(s) became too close. I can see where a four to six foot whip could be quite handy in a fight but probably more as a flail than a true whip.

Yes, the tip of a whip can travel faster than the speed of sound. That's what makes the loud crack. Whips aren't used in circles but more like an ellipse. As the whip travels out the radius of the bend gets smaller and smaller. This imparts more and more energy to the tip. I can't explain it very well. This site does a better job. http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2002-05/aps-wcm052302.php

Another nice site for whips is http://www.aussiewhipmaker.com/

All in all, I'd rather have a club than a whip in a fight.

[edit: putting any kind of weight on the end of a whip ruins it's dynamics and turns it into a flail.]

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Martial use of whips?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: