Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Bandolier clip Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Mon 22 Oct, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter
Curt Cummins

PostPosted: Mon 22 Oct, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

GG Osborne wrote:
Except the downside of any percussion revolver is its occasionally unfortunate perchant to chainfire (all cylinders going off at once.) This applied to the Colt revolving carbine as well. Many seasoned cavalrymen actually carried multiple, pre-loaded cylinders and just switched out the cylinders rather than reload or carry 4 pistols (2 holstered and 2 on the saddle.)

And this chain fire is an extremely scary event which can cause the shooter to spontaneously discharge from other areas. Trust me on this one.

Curt

Ye braggarts and awe be a'skeered and awa, frae Brandoch Daha
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 22 Oct, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Curt Cummins wrote:
GG Osborne wrote:
Except the downside of any percussion revolver is its occasionally unfortunate perchant to chainfire (all cylinders going off at once.) This applied to the Colt revolving carbine as well. Many seasoned cavalrymen actually carried multiple, pre-loaded cylinders and just switched out the cylinders rather than reload or carry 4 pistols (2 holstered and 2 on the saddle.)

And this chain fire is an extremely scary event which can cause the shooter to spontaneously discharge from other areas. Trust me on this one.

Curt

This was probably more scary and dangerous with a revolving carbine if the foregrip was held as the hand would be in front of all those loaded cylinder chambers. Eek!

With a revolver at least most of the destruction would be stuff going away from any body parts ! The revolver might also take some serious damage or be very jammed up.

Revolver carbines or rifles seem to have been " unpopular " I think ( could be wrong ? ) but fast reloading single shots like a Sharps carbine or rifle would have been more practical and powerful.

Early repeaters like the Henri rifle and the Spencer rifle would also have been better designs that a revolving carbine.

In the 1835 to maybe 1855 period a revolving carbine might have seemed a viable solution as a repeating firearm ?

Also with the carbine it is possible to use a two handed hold were the cupped second hand just support the firing hand and one avoids using the foregrip. ( Note: Mostly speculation on my part ).

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Curt Cummins

PostPosted: Mon 22 Oct, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The pistol that chain fired on me was a Remington 1858 Army . The balls from the side chambers melted and blew a stream of molten lead down the sides of the gun. Fortunately only two chambers chain fired along with the one that was aligned with the barrel. If the bottom chamber had gone off, it would have fired into the frame and blown the pistol apart in my hand.

I never wanted a revolving carbine or rifle, not because your lead hand is on the forestock, but because all revolvers spit flame out the sides. Revolvers with poor cylinder to bore fit also "shave" and spit lead out the sides. Never seemed like a good idea to have a revolver cylinder right in front of your face/eyes.

The chainfire was caused by getting .440 round ball for my long rifle mixed up with .454 balls for the pistol. I had the chambers properly sealed with Crisco, and that probably saved my hand.

Curt

Ye braggarts and awe be a'skeered and awa, frae Brandoch Daha
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 22 Oct, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Curt Cummins wrote:
The pistol that chain fired on me was a Remington 1858 Army . The balls from the side chambers melted and blew a stream of molten lead down the sides of the gun. Fortunately only two chambers chain fired along with the one that was aligned with the barrel. If the bottom chamber had gone off, it would have fired into the frame and blown the pistol apart in my hand.

I never wanted a revolving carbine or rifle, not because your lead hand is on the forestock, but because all revolvers spit flame out the sides. Revolvers with poor cylinder to bore fit also "shave" and spit lead out the sides. Never seemed like a good idea to have a revolver cylinder right in front of your face/eyes.

The chainfire was caused by getting .440 round ball for my long rifle mixed up with .454 balls for the pistol. I had the chambers properly sealed with Crisco, and that probably saved my hand.

Curt

Seems like more good reasons why revolver carbines seem to have been relatively " unpopular " in the pre-cartridge era, although they do look " cool".

Even without the risk of multiple chambers firing the spitting from the cylinder gap can be painful or at least annoying with a modern revolver: So having one's face close to the cylinder, I agree, doesn't seem like a very good idea. Wink Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 22 Oct, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've had revolvers chain fire on me plenty of times, and it never really bothered me. The only issue is that then I was down several shots, with several targets still standing. Oh well... But there's nothing dangerous about a chain fire, the revolvers are designed to send the balls downrange, so as long as you're not using a "turret revolver" of the sort that aims some of the chambers BACK at you, all is well. I strongly suspect that this was the major reason that such "turret revolvers" weren't at all popular...

Per Revolving Carbines and Revolving Rifles: the problem is the noise, mostly. The Colt 1839 Revolving Carbine was actually pretty popular, and Colt's best seller from his Paterson days in fact. LOTS more of them were sold than the revolving pistols of any caliber. The '39 was in .52 caliber, just like the regulation Hall's Breechloading Carbine, and designed to fire the regulation .525 round ball (same as was used in the 1803 Rifle, the 1819 "Common" Rifle, the 1841 "Mississippi" Rifle and the various pistols issued to US Army and Navy personnel). In fact, the US Navy purchased a fairly large number of the '39 Carbines (as did the Republic of Texas Navy) and issued them widly (well, as widly as a thousand or so firearms can be issued, but the fleet was pretty small then, too) to the Pacific Squadron. The Colt's were used (as were the Colt Revolving Pistols which the US Navy purchased as well) in the Navy's Conquest of California in 1846-'47, along side the far more numerous flintlock muskets of the 1816 variety. And along side pikes, as well, interestingly enough. But Colt was planning on bringing the '39 Carbine back into production in 1849, but his pistols proved to be so popular that he just never got around to it.

The 1855 "Root" Rifle and Carbine was kind of popular, though nothing like the popularity of the pistols Colt was producing in the 1850's and '60's. The first rifles issued to Berdan's Sharpshooters were, in fact, the Colt 1855 Musket, which was actually more accurate than the Sharps. But the big problem with them was that not only did they "spit" something horrid, but they were VERY loud to shoot. Since no one bothered with ear protection in those days, this was a big deal. So though accurate, they were unpopular. And though you got five fast shots off, reloading wasn't so fast, and for multiple shots past the first five, the Sharps was faster.

Contrary to what modern day reenactors believe (and Hollywood shows) virtually no one carried a spare cylinder around for his revolver. Maybe a spare pistol, but not a spare cylinder. They just weren't usually issued or sold. A very few Colts were issued/sold with them, such as the early Patersons with no loading lever, the "Baby Dragoons" with no loading lever, and some of the '51 Navy's sold to Prussia and Austria, but that's about it. The US Army sure as heck never did after 1839.

Now, back to Flintlock Carbines...

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Peter Bosman

PostPosted: Tue 23 Oct, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:
Now, back to Flintlock Carbines...

...even more on topic to the clips to suspend them from Wink

Now on thát topic the bandolier and ´clip´ do not significantly differ from the way swords were carried by mounted warriors from (very roughly and geographically differentiated) some 2500 bc to 500 ad.

A close parallel too is the clip/hook on (some) scabbards and the belt clip/hook on (some) pistols Laughing Out Loud

An even more illustrating example of creative suspension is

incorporating two clips and a belt hook Exclamation

peter

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Bandolier clip
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: