Go to page 1, 2  Next

Homage to the Medieval Sword
This is one of the two swords that made it to the Knife Maker Show in Solingen 2007.
It was made as a semi custom order, after a customer expressed interest in a special sword for 1:33 fencing: a responsive and agile sword of type XIV.
I felt attracted to the idea of trying to work with a specific notion of character in handling while at the same time have completely free hands to design the style and aesthetic identity of the sword.

The result was a sword that is more a homage to the dream of the medieval sword than a true recontruction of a time specific style. You will notice how I have given myself freedom to combine and adjust features that would not have been seen together in a sword from a specific time period.
I wanted to make this sword something that is a statement by its own rigth rather than an exercise in translating a past time period to the present.

The blade length is 76 cm and total weight 1150 grams.
Heft and dynamic balance is as you can expect on an agile type XIV.
This sword was built for the personal duel rather than for the battlefield.

Attachment: 50.79 KB
XIVfull.jpg

Attachment: 75.95 KB
XIVhilt.jpg

Attachment: 81.36 KB
XIVguard.jpg

Attachment: 64.78 KB
XIVpommel.jpg

Wow, that is gorgeous! I am not entirely sure about the cut-outs on cross, but that blade looks like a dream come true. The taper, the fuller, the point...all perfectly proportioned!

I am sure the owner is happy about that one!

Johan Schubert Moen
Wow, Peter, that's an absolutely stunning weapon. :eek:

The owner is fortunate indeed.
I don't know if there are words to describe that blade. Just noises of awe and reverence.
This is stunning to the degree of speechless! It carries the aura of an excellent antique sword. I like how you finish the surface!
Peter,
That's beautiful. :) What is the pommel made of? It looks like a different material than the guard.
The sword is indeed a masterpiece! I am still grinning and kind of floating. Thank you for the wonderful work!

As Mike said, Words sometimes aren't enough.
That is nice! I particularly like the hilt finish. Can that finish be applied to a blade?
Wow! Very nice indeed. Pommel and hilt together are stunning, I love the finish on them. the blade is magnificent! It's easy to see why Peter has the reputation he does when seeing a sword like this one!!! I only have one question; when can we see photos of the other sword that went to Solingen?
Wow!

Wow!

That's all I have to say about that. :)
Peter,

That piece is -- in a word -- breathtaking! I'm not a big fan of the Type XIV, so that's saying a lot! -Ted
Absolutely beautiful. I can only hope to possess something as astounding as that some day.
That is a fantastic type XIV Peter. The type XIV's are one of my favourite group of swords. I particularly like the piercing work through the guard it really adds to the look of the piece, very elegant. I can just see it in the hands of one of the monks in 1.33!!!
this is truly a glorious weapon
Peter, you know how much I enjoy the XIVs. . . beautiful, and I wish I could have it in hand for a few minutes as it sounds like just my kind of sword.

One of these days, I'm going to have to corner you into making me something. . . ;)
Re: Homage to the Medieval Sword
Peter Johnsson wrote:
This is one of the two swords that made it to the Knife Maker Show in Solingen 2007.
It was made as a semi custom order, after a customer expressed interest in a special sword for 1:33 fencing: a responsive and agile sword of type XIV.
I felt attracted to the idea of trying to work with a specific notion of character in handling while at the same time have completely free hands to design the style and aesthetic identity of the sword.

The result was a sword that is more a homage to the dream of the medieval sword than a true recontruction of a time specific style. You will notice how I have given myself freedom to combine and adjust features that would not have been seen together in a sword from a specific time period.
I wanted to make this sword something that is a statement by its own rigth rather than an exercise in translating a past time period to the present.

The blade length is 76 cm and total weight 1150 grams.
Heft and dynamic balance is as you can expect on an agile type XIV.

Peter,

It's official-- commissioning a custom piece from you has made it to the "Top 5 Things to Do Before I Die" list...

The blade profile is elegant. The cut-outs of the guard, beautifully-executed. The sword as a whole, absolutely exquisite!
beautiful work,really fine proportions and graceful look,i like the rivet block a lot.
Absolutely stunning! I would love to see more of your visions - those unencumbered by the weight of history.

Here we see the master at work - beautiful photography and without an external shutter release!

Attachment: 54.85 KB
XIVpommel.jpg

That's an absolutely stunning sword, Peter :eek:

Type XIVs are not my favourites, but man, after seeing this one, I have to reconsider my vision of medieval art swords! That's awesome! I wish I would have the money to order a custom piece like THIS ONE made by an outstanding mastersmith and -craftsman like you!
Re: Homage to the Medieval Sword
Peter Johnsson wrote:

Is this because of light weight and agility specific to your customization of this commission? I am wondering if there is any truth of the characterization to the typology as a whole? I have seen several art examples (14th century Manesse Codex, etc.) depicting tournament participants using swords that were depicted very similar to the same general form. It has been pretty hard to resist buying one of the Next Gen. Sheriff or Yeomen, or Museum Line Solingens.
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: