Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > History of the Crossbow? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Rod Parsons

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: History of the Crossbow?         Reply with quote

Payne Galway attributes the crossbow to the Romans, but I interpret this as the bias of a classically educated European.
I wonder how the crossbow was transmitted from Ancient China, or is there a case for it being independently invented elsewhere?
Rod.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As a topic of only recent interest to me, I must rely on the web and but one book I own that discusses them.

Most web sources seem to agree with information drawn from yet another author (Peterson?) and do credit thew Chinese with the earliest evidence.

The author I have discussed elswhere (Blackmore) Presents timlines for both the Chinese evidence and credits introduction to the west from the east. Interestingly though, is his description of writings from Heron of Alexandria. These writings, said to have been written in the first century, describes a "gastraphetes".

This object seems to bear little resemblance to the early Chinese crossbows, it seemingly a board mounted bow with a series of notches in a trough. Drawn against the stomach, hence the name gastraphetes.

He also offers that Heron's writings may in fact relate the lost writings of Ctesibius of Alexandria who lived the middle of the third century BCE.

With the authenticated Chinese evidence of Shih Chi, from the first century BCE, writing of crossbow use as early as the fourth century BCE; compared with the organic difference between the Chinese bows and the gastraphetes, there may be a strong case for independant development.

Again, I'm new to archery history but I have done a lot of speculative study of migration and trade routes. There seem some truly odd parallel developments of tools, weapons and textiles but there are enough differences that one might doubt it was directly shared technology (maybe).

Cheers

GC
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well looking up the subject in one of my books: ANCIENT AND MEDIEVAL SIEGE WEAPONS, Konstantine Nossow, I find the Greek Gastraphetes at around 400 B.C. or " belly-bow " using a prod and that has some similarities with medieval crossbows and some differences. The Roman had small ballista that where hand held or the size of a larger siege crossbow the Cheirobalista or Manubalista using torsion power rather than a prod.

The Chinese seem to have been using what look like true crossbows as early or earlier and I tend to think that in ancient times it would be more independent development rather than one copying the other.

After the fall of the Western Roman Empire I think the Manubalista fell out of use and I don't remember reading about it's continued use by the Eastern Roman ( Byzantine Empire ) . The Byzantines seemed to be unfamiliar with crossbows when the first crusaders were passing through, and seemed impressed by it's power ! If they were still using Manubalistas
they should have been less impressed or would have commented on any significant power differences ?

The true crossbow of the Medieval age may have been re-discovered but this time influenced by the Chinese crossbows that remained in continuous use from ancient time.

So the first time around we had in all probability independent development and maybe the second time around the first European Medieval crossbows originating from half remembered Roman use of man portable ballista and stories of crossbows or a few samples coming from China? Could have been independant re-development again though ?

Just mentioning some possibilities as speculation. Wink

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree that the crossbow developed independently in both China and the Aegean and the Romans improved on the design. There is a theory that the crossbow continued to be used in the Byzantine Empire but by the time of Anna Comnena it was largely unknown in that region (see Glen's Alexiad quote in the last crossbow thread). Middle Eastern chroniclers seem to have been more familiar with the Frankish crossbow than the Byzantines. This is strange since the Byzantines were the traditional "middle men" regarding trade between Europe and the Middle East.
Steven H

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jul, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have read two different descriptions of what a gastraphetes looks like and still don't get it.

Any one have a picture?

edit:
I found some!
http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/images/Gastraphetes.jpg
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sure,

Make me drag out a camera, fire up a real pc, change my forum settings and here you have the page from Blackmore's title Hunting Weapons Big Grin BTW, this is one title that is included in Amazon's look inside program. There were also first edition HC offerings at $3.00

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 101.3 KB
gastraphetes 002.jpg

David Ruff

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

if i get time i will take a picture of the one i have reproduced about 2 years ago thats here. It fires blah blah....

Would hate to be told however i got it wrong <g>

David
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:

Make me drag out a camera, fire up a real pc, change my forum settings and here you have the page from Blackmore's title Hunting Weapons Big Grin BTW, this is one title that is included in Amazon's look inside program. There were also first edition HC offerings at $3.00

Thanks for the image. This is a book I've been meaning to buy. It's on my wish list.

I didn't know until you mentioned it that they have this title with the "look inside" feature. Neat.

Just to be clear for all, since Blackmore has two books with "Hunting Weapons" in their titles, the book you're referring to is Hunting Weapons from the Middle Ages to the Twentieth Century : With 288 Illustrations.

Cheers

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A side note on the Amazon Look Inside program. It's a bit hit and miss but there are some great titles included, like the Bezdek sword books.

Blackmore's title is really great. I've never sat with it cover to cover and frequently find stuff I've missed on other browses. Some very nice photographs in the back of cuttoe and pistols attached to just about anything.

The other title listed as just "Hunting Weapons" is the first edition from 1971. Dover's bibliographical notes list their edition as an unabridged reprint of "Hunting Weapons", published by Barrie and Jenkins, London, in 1971. The photographic plates in the original being dispersed throughout and consolidated to the rear in the PB edition.

Like I say, I saw HC first editions for as little as $3.00 just the other day.

Cheers

GC
J. Bedell

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David, It would be great to see pics of an actual reproduction. It gives a much better idea of the weapon than an illustration. The illustration is nice though, I had it pictured a little wrong in my heaad so this is a big help, Thanks Glen!

BTW: How are the chinese always so far ahead with technology!?

-James

The pen may be mighter, but the sword is much more fun.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David;

The firing mechanism also seems very different than that of a crossbow, more like a smaller version of what a large ballista would have used ? Although I haven't seen picture showing the details up close enough to understand exactly how it works when used in drawing the string and exactly how it releases the bolt.

Were there some forms of these that are more like a slider where the crossbow string goes through the sliding unit and remains attached to it and move with the string as a unit and pushes the bolt out ?

It also look to me that one would cock one of these by bending down and using one's body weight to ratchet up the string to the full cocked position: The sliding front being on the ground or braced on a wall maybe ? With the ratcheting one could cock it partially and maybe sit on it to finish the cocking in a two stage process if the prod was very heavy and the person using it " not so much ". Razz Just trying to imagine how I would use one of these.

Power should be in the belt hook type crossbow range I think, unless more that one person sat down on it maybe ???

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Rod Parsons

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Bedell wrote:

-James

In the beginning, continuity of a more fully developed economic base over a longer period? But not always ahead.
Rod.
Nathan Hoin

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Bedell wrote:

Asia sends Europe the prototypes, then Europe perfects them, ala gunpowder, firearms, crossbows, and stirrups. BTW, I have heard that a crossbow fed by a 'magazine' (for lack of a better word) developed sometime in Medieval asia. Sounds dumb to me, as the problem with a crossbow's rate of fire is the time needed to knock the string, not the time needed to load a quarrel.
Rod Parsons

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Hoin wrote:
BTW, I have heard that a crossbow fed by a 'magazine' (for lack of a better word) developed sometime in Medieval asia. Sounds dumb to me, as the problem with a crossbow's rate of fire is the time needed to knock the string, not the time needed to load a quarrel.

That's why the same lever action draws the string, drops in the bolt and fires it, draws the string, drops in the bolt and fires it, draws the string, drops in etc. Happy
Rod.
Nathan Hoin

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ah, I found a diagram on the internet. The action kind of reminds me of...a nerf gun.
David Ruff

PostPosted: Thu 06 Jul, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rod Parsons wrote:
Nathan Hoin wrote:
BTW, I have heard that a crossbow fed by a 'magazine' (for lack of a better word) developed sometime in Medieval asia. Sounds dumb to me, as the problem with a crossbow's rate of fire is the time needed to knock the string, not the time needed to load a quarrel.

That's why the same lever action draws the string, drops in the bolt and fires it, draws the string, drops in the bolt and fires it, draws the string, drops in etc. Happy
Rod.

The repeating crossbow. I have built two of those in the past. Best rate of fire i personally could get was about one bolt every second - maybe a tad faster. The range however on the two i built was under 30 yards and the power in which they struck was not real hard. If i read right these bows were used with a poison on the bolts? and killed via poison, not bolt damage. Not sure however.

The best i can explain the bow itself is a notchlock type were the lever draws the string, as the string comes back it travels under the bolt, the string clears the bolt (just before firing) and the bolt drops in, the lever continues back (the whole top is acting on a hinge type motion, the lever comes to full draw and forces the string out of the lever grove (notch lock action) and fires. The handle is then rotated forward to catch the string and repeat the process. Its rather quick to operate but hard to zero in on a small target.

I have no idea about medieval times as far as rate of fire on low poundage draws. But i have been known to fire 8 bolts in 30 seconds hitting inside a 8" circle at ranges out to 35 yards. The prods i can do this on are upto 130lbs. If the composits were low weight i would imagine this was possible then as well???

I have litterally out "rate of fired" longbow shooters shooting 50lb longbows on the line. Now granted a 100+ lb longbow firing 10 arrows a minute compared to a 130lb crossbow firing 16 bolts a minute - the longbow is gonna hit harder and outrange by some 50+ yards - (the 130lb crossbow has a 150yard clout range - altho not sure what a composite prod range would have been, only know what they are now in the ones i have made.)

David
Danny Grigg

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 07 Jul, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I found this pic of a Gastraphetes on a website some time ago.

Its just a shame its so small.

Attachment: 11.62 KB
Gastraphetes 1.jpg

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Fri 04 Aug, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Sure,

Cheers

GC

My copy of Hunting Weapons just arrived. Thank you for the head's up, Glen.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 05 Aug, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You are very welcome Nathan. It is a great little tome. Some of the objects in the photographic plates section are really fascinating. Several nice plates of Maximillian.

While the scope of the crossbow section may be limited and repetitive of contested sources, it is still a good overview of their use as a hunting tool. The net launcher looks like fun.

Cheers

GC
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Mon 07 May, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry to resurrect a long dormant thread, but I have a question to ask.

I was having a look through "The Age of Chivalry" by H Nickel, S W Pyhrr and L Tarassuk when I came across the following statement:
Quote:
The crossbow was officially abolished as a military weapon in Germany in 1517 by order of Emperor Maximilian, though it was still used in other countries...

To me that immediately begs the question why? I assume they were abolished in favour of matchlock arquebuses, but surely in 1517 crossbows were far more accurate and had a longer range than an arquebus, so why replace a tried and tested weapon with an apparently less effective one? Any ideas?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > History of the Crossbow?
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: