Greek/Thracian Bronze Cuirass by Kirby
Taken at the recent Estrella War and worn by the owner, who is a Macedonian/Thracian reenactor/collector. This is based on a 4th Century BCE Greek Cuirass design. Kirby hand hammered this using 1/8" Bronze sheet that had to be special ordered.

It took quite awhile for the customer to settle on this particular style after sifting through all his sources and ours. Then the sheet had to be ordered and Kirby had to build a new polisher after crafting this. Although Kirby had made muscled cuirasses before, it had been several years since the last one. This was all done on the anvil face with a ball peen hammer between anneallings.

Although you cannot see them, all the hinges and pins were handmade. All edges turned. It also has handmade bronze buckles for the "strap&buckle" sidework. The nipples are pure silver. Eventually it will have a Thracian style gorget with piercwork/overlay.

The iron spearhead was made by Kirby based on an actual artifact the customer wanted reproduced. As a skilled woodworker, the customer turned down the spearshaft and made the leather wrapping after putting the head on. The solid cast bronze butt he found elsewhere. The kopis is on our website. This is the same owner of the Rhomphaia, Kirby made, that I posted on this website last year. I am hoping to get some closeups of the cuirass soon to post later.

The Thracian helmet was made by Piella of "Lone Mountain Forge" The shield is faced with yellow bronze like the originals and painted by "Spartan Creations". The leather undergarment was also made by "Spartan Creations" here in Arizona whose owner makes museum quality Hoplite panolpy.

Attachment: 50.75 KB
KirbymadeCuirass.jpg
Macedonian/Thracian Panolpy
Bronze Cuirass by Kirby

Wow - that cuirass looks very impressive. I look forward to seeing some more photos.
Ooooh....very nice!!! What a beautiful cuirass. The entire kit is just amazing!

-James
I agree, that's great looking! You don't see a lot of these types of kits posted around here.

(though I have to question that leapord print bag...?)
I'd love to see more close-up photos of the kit elements. I wish we saw more things like this.

Bill,

I think the leopard skin/print is the upper part of what appears to be a kopis scabbard.
1/8 inch bronze? I take it was made for rattan combat? I love the looks of it very nice work.
Very impressive and I too would like to see close-ups of the differemt elements.

The helmet also reminds me of Gaulish helmets with the bird like crest ( At least that's what it looks like to me ).

Very Northern Greeks ( Macedonians, Thracians, others ? ) influenced by Celtic / Gaulish styles or maybe the reverse where the Gauls' kit was influenced by Greek armour ? Not sure which or maybe a bit of both ?
Donald Taylor
No, this person is not a SCA fighter. Although it would most certainly stand up to any SCA rattan drubbing. These were actually rather thick to begin with to form the muscles so that the surfaces would not become too thin and weak. These also had to stand up to the rigors of combat of those times. I was talking to one person recently who was in Athens and was able to hold a real Corinthian helmet, he remarked how heavy it was compared to some reproductions. I will post the cuirass' actual weight by itself later but I think he said the whole panolpy of helmet, cuirass, shield, greaves (hidden behind the shield) and kopis was about 90lbs.

Although it certainly makes you admire their physical conditioning. Keep in mind our present soldiers wear at least as much with all THEIR gear on and weapons.

Bill,
The reenactor used real leopard skin around the top of the Kopis scabbard.
Laurie W wrote:
Bill,
The reenactor used real leopard skin around the top of the Kopis scabbard.

What?

Did he say anything about where that skin came from?
He had this for several years.
Wow! Really cool.
Tell Kirby he has outdone himself on this piece. I did not find either of you at Estrella this year. Missed you.
Hello Balldrich!

Thank you for the complement (and this goes to everyone else too)

Yeah, we were hoping to make it this year but the change in venue (from Estrella to Mountain Thunder) put a crimp in those plans. However, we are looking forward to next year and seeing you there.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: