Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Quote:
In Jackson's defense(?), the "stabbing-the-pillows" scene is taken almost exactly from the old 1970s animated film of LotR.

I don't consider that much a defense.

Quote:
And, if I recall, Strider and the Hobbits (or was it technically Butterbur and his employees? I forget the details) actually do "decoy" the ringwraiths by stuffing pillows and mop-heads under the covers in the room the Hobbits were supposed to have been in in the book.

Yeah, and someone (probably the Nazgul) tore up these decoys in the night. I just thought the way they did it in the movie made the Nazgul look clueless. It wasn't nearly as bad the other things I mentioned.

Quote:
Because having seen about a thousand movies in this ball park, I have yet to see fantasy kit and / or Hollywood martial arts techniques which look better than the real thing,

Exactly. I think it could be something of a revolution if Hollywood ever starts more historically based martial arts. It'll just look much cooler. However, that's probably wishful thinking...

Of course, some movies do use more reasonable techniques. For example, I thought Ong-bak was fairly good in that respect.
Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:

The worst example of Hollywood weapon design is giant flail the Witch-King used in one hand, while holding a big sword in the other. Oddly enough, the screenwriter, knew, consciously or not, that the weapon was unwieldy in the extreme.

That was deliberate. Every time the props department produced an example, Jackson said "bigger". It was for dramatic effect. Everyone knew that it would have been ridiculous on a real battlefield. That is the problem with complaining about movie equipment. They are props, not weapons. They serve far more purposes than simply killing people. Jackson wasn't making a documentary.

How did I end up on this side of the discussion :eek:
Dan Howard wrote:

The worst example of Hollywood weapon design is giant flail the Witch-King used in one hand, while holding a big sword in the other. Oddly enough, the screenwriter, knew, consciously or not, that the weapon was unwieldy in the extreme.

That was deliberate. Every time the props department produced an example, Jackson said "bigger". It was for dramatic effect. Everyone knew that it would have been ridiculous on a real battlefield. That is the problem with complaining about movie equipment. They are props, not weapons. They serve far more purposes than simply killing people. Jackson wasn't making a documentary.

I agree with Dan and to add a point:

It may be appropriate to criticizes the way the humans or any non-magical characters use weapons or the practicality of the weapons but when a movie has " magic " or " superhuman " characters all sorts of impossible things can work in the context of the story. ( suspending disbelief. )

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:
Quote:
Before I ever knew anything about historical fencing, when I first saw the famous duel scene in Kirosawas The Seven Samurai around that same age, I knew I was witnessing something special, something which was head and shoulders above every sword and sandals / sword and sorcery or knights in armor flick I had ever seen.

At least to my non-expert eye most of the fight scenes in the classic Samurai movies look and feel very " credible " and most of the fighting is based on distance and timing of attacks and the fights are very short. It's still movie fighting and one has to believe that the lone Samurai fighting against many is many orders of skill higher than his opponents.

A fight between masters of equal skill is a very different thing.

A Hollywood equivalent as far as authentic ( looking :?: ) fight scenes would be nice to see.
Quote:
It may be appropriate to criticizes the way the humans or any non-magical characters use weapons or the practicality of the weapons but when a movie has " magic " or " superhuman " characters all sorts of impossible things can work in the context of the story. ( suspending disbelief. )

As I said before, superhuman abilities wouldn't make that type of weapon effective. Besides, we know the Witch-King's superhuman abilities didn't make him effective with the weapon, because he missed Eowyn over and over. If they had shown him using the weapon effectively, in a reasonable fashion (not just because his foes decided to act stupid), then I probably wouldn't be complaining as much. Even then, though, competent use of a smaller mace would made the scene superior.
As I said before, superhuman abilities wouldn't make that type of weapon effective. Besides, we know the Witch-King's superhuman abilities didn't make him effective with the weapon, because he missed Eowyn over and over. If they had shown him using the weapon effectively, in a reasonable fashion (not just because his foes decided to act stupid), then I probably wouldn't be complaining as much. Even then, though, competent use of a smaller mace would made the scene superior.
If the Witch king used a smaller mace competently, Eowyn would have been dead in a couple of seconds. You would have had a lot of upset Tolkien fans if Jackson did that :evil:
The thing that really irked me was the army of the dead at Minas Tirith. They had the dead glowing green and everyone knows they glow blue until after the 1st of May at mid-night, when they do indeed turn green. If the production company had just done a little research they would have known what a faux pah it is to glow green before Labor Day.

Jeez. ;)
Too bad the Witch-King did use the mace competently in the book. Merry's intervention also happened a lot sooner there.
Quote:
Too bad the Witch-King did use the mace competently in the book. Merry's intervention also happened a lot sooner there.

Yes, exactly. The way Eowyn's shield shattered completely demonstrated his great strength. He didn't need to wield a silly weapon. I can see why Jackson wanted to extend the scene, but he went about it the wrong way. Deciding to cut the Witch-King's best lines was unthinkable. I have no idea why they did that. With the proper dialogue in place, I think quick fight would have been fine. Slow motion also could have drawn it out.
Its took me a minute Patrick..... :p
On the topic of possessing super natural abilities look how incredibly strong sauron is as with one stroke of his iron mace he sends dozens of warriors flying 50 feet in the air. And if you look at saurons mace up close, the flanges are sharp and angular and at the center of each of the flanges are a sharp spike. Each of the sharp blades looked to thin to strike against plate armor as the blades would have been either bent or broken. Sauron's mace to me almost looks like a six-sided (bladed) battle axe rather than a heavy mace weapon.

Since I never had the chance to read any of the books, did they portray saurons armor and weapon accurately or was it just made up to look menacing and cool for the movie? :\
Justin Pasternak wrote:

Since I never had the chance to read any of the books, did they portray saurons armor and weapon accurately or was it just made up to look menacing and cool for the movie? :\

I don't think Sauron is ever portrayed physically in the original books. All the physical descriptions of him in the trilogy are of the "great flaming eye" or off-hand remarks to how he is "no longer able to assume a form pleasing to look upon." (in the expanded universe stuff like the appendices it is described how way-back-when, he was able to appear as a genuinely good-looking guy, which aided him in deceiving the race of Numenor and sending them off on their fool's errand to invade the Lands to the West where the immortal elves hung out--leading to Numenor's collapse).

His appearance in the movie standing on the battlefield looking like a kitchen utensil from hell was purely the result of the filmmakers to my knowledge.
There is never any description given of Sauron's weapons or armour. He is described as being or human form but larger than man sized, yet not gigantic and being terrible to behold. He was never a big flaming eye. That was a metaphor for the projection of his will that others would feel if he was concentrating on them. We can assume from this then that as he would have had an incarnate form, in battle he would have donned armour. All references to armour in Tolkiens writing refer to mail, with only a singular reference to a steel vambrace. From this it may be a fair deduction that like the rest of the plate armour exhibited in the movie this was a fabrication of the movie makers with no source facts taken form Tolkiens work itself.
Movie Sauron was based, I suspect, off of the Silmarillion's description of Morgoth in his fight against Fingolfin. His mace didn't scatter armies, but it probably would have been able to. Every stroke left a deep crater in the ground.
Dan Howard wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAO4t8672hc ok to settle the story of the flail, heres the video from the dvd,

it hints that the look of sheer ' i am SO screwed' from eowyn wasnt scripted, i think the look of that flail was genuinely scary, in realism though i know that id be able to dart around it. annd beat the guy over the head a few times, assuming he doesnt stab me with that sword hes got in the other hand

and funnily enough, the minas tirith charge by the rohirrim actually happened, sort of.
instead of minas tirith in the third age besiged by the dark orcs of mordor, instead we have the city of vienna besieged in 1683 by the massive armies of the ottomans numbering about 150,000, it seems the ottomans were JUST about to make the final breach by mining, when a force of about 20,000 men with about 3000 polish hussars in the front line, they barrelled through the turkish lines that had been formed to repel the recently arrived re-enforcements.

an intersting design i liked from weta for LOTR was the reloading mechanism of the uruk hai crossbows being a sort of 'lever action' mechanism type., considering the technical genious attributed to sarumon this isnt too implausible,

and why be hatin' on legolas for (i felt like such a tool writing that just so you know).... one credit that should be extended to legolas is that he, according to the folks at archery australia a couple of which i talked to not too long ago, was almost the SOLE reason for a noticable surge in membership numbers that year and i can see why.
( to this day im STILL trying to work a system that would let me nock two arrows at once, i have been so far unsuccessful but i WILL get it)
ok so he takes down an entire mumak and its crow, (though this is mostly by cutting the strap which holds the ' tower' onto the mumak's back.. but it looked decidedly epic, and skateboards down stairs on a shield... ok yeah its overdone but hes an elf hes allowed to be outragously overpowered.

then again the elves were very much overpowered, considering the rop from lothlorien was, thin, light, VERY strong and unties itself when you want it to.
and lets face it they often always are, often their only flaw in many strategy and RPG games is that they cant ever have very high populations.

LOTR was also significant in that their mail suits unlike the pythons for example whoes 'maile' was actually knitted gold wool due to their low budget.
were made of ABS pipe cut into a ton of rings that were continually woven by two guys into the maile needed by the props department, genius.. and it clinked, not quite like metal maile but i hear it wasnt too bad.

but ive also heard that anduril of all things is completely unwieldy when reproduced, is that because of its giant pommel and handguard?

though ive heard good reviews of the sword of strider, which is unsurprising since it looks easily like something youd see in a museum, its simple and functional looking,

as for charging pikes. personally i reckon aragorns charge at helms deep with the elves was a HELL of a lot more stupid, (next time , before you charge pikes with foot, use more than just 1 volley, unless they had no arrows left, that way half your men dont get skewered)

that and having the elves shoot the besieging host as they charge the wall to place the ladders, at pretty much the last minute when elves are VERY good long range shots, to my mind they could have loosed a few softening volleys first.

fnnily enough in the book they actually RUN OUT of arrows trying to repel the besieging parties, which to me would be the ultimate 'oh bugger' moment.(nothing worse than running out of ammunition)
I can't say anything to their realism, but I thoroughly enjoyed the movies. I can forgive over the top combat scenes (Legolas snowboarding, etc), but the parts I hated were the Frodo, Sam facial close-ups. Honestly, by the time they were halfway across Mordor I was rooting for Gollum. Sometimes directors go too far in trying to make you care about the characters to the point you become sick of them. Frodo and Sam were an example of this. Another example was in the new TV series Battlestar Gallactica. Not to get off-topic, but I loved that series. The downfall was Starbuck's character. The directors put so much effort into trying to make us care about her that I began to pray each episode she'd be killed off for good. :lol:

As for the swordplay in the LoTR series, I don't know enough about real swordfights to know if they were realistic or not. I do remember being very impressed with Viggo Mortensen's dedication in that regard though. In one of the "making of" documentaries that accompanies the series, they described that he basically walked, ate, and slept with that sword. He evidently was a madman at putting in long training hours to use it on his own time. His dedication showed. He handled the sword very comfortably in the movies in my opinion, not like your typical actor who is given a prop.

I've read a couple posts in this thread and others about the lack of realism of certain moves or techniques in movie swordplay. I'm sure there are true experts here at swordsmanship and martial arts, so I don't mean to step out of my lane. But that said, it reminded me of what one of my defensive tactics instructors once said; "It's called a "fight" for a reason". When the training becomes to much about "technique" where every move has a counter, sooner or later you're going to come up against someone who plays by different rules. In regards to defensive tactics, I've always tried to stay away from styles that have complex moves or involve fine motor skills for exactly that reason. In a high-stress situation, where the loser doesn't go home, anything goes. I've never used an edged weapon against someone and the Good Lord willing, I'll never have to. I have, on the other hand, used blunt force weapons against people in non-training situations on multiple occassions. When push came to shove I was just happy to land effectively placed blows and still keep my wits about me. :lol: For this reason I don't become overly critical of how someone wields a sword in movies. After all, they call it a fight for a reason. ;)
not only that, one person here comented that there was a comparative lack of thrusting,
correct me if im wrong but.. while thrusts are still a vital part of sword use, arnt a good majority of strikes, well, strikes? especially for a weapon like the longsword, a demonstration of techniques by the real gladiatores on youtube showed that, like inkenjutsu, a good majority of techniques solely used slashes cuts and slices, that said LOTR might use thrusts les than normal.
in sword and shield combat, ive come to learn that thrusting isnt as good technique to use with a sword, because it doesnt easily make someone open themselves up,strikes can better curl around guards

more interstingly, as pointed out by D.S smith aragorn also showed a decent few melee combat moves, i.e smacking the forehead of an uruk hai into a stone wall, punching people in the face, etc,

one quite good looking use of the 2 handed swords was, of all movies, braveheart. he used a hanging upper block to recieve a thrust and push it away from him, he used thrusts , chops and other moves not just swinging it like it was some sort of flail, he actually used it like a SWORD and as something that needs finesse to use properly. gibson demonstrates this fairly well. then again wallace in braveheart (and in history as well if i recall) was supposed to be decently educated and trained.

the introduction to fighting by godfrey to balian in KOH is also excellent, telling him that there are actually diffferent guards for different purposes, and that the blade isnt the only thing you can hit with.
It seems to me, although it's been quite a while since I watched the movie, that in the movie the arms and armor are designed along with other artifacts with the intent of illustrating a stage of cultural development or civilization and thus realism in the design of the weapons takes second or third place.

The Rohirrim are horse Vikings or horse Saxons and their armor and architecture is a combination of Anglo Saxon, Viking and Vendal styles. The Gondorians are somewhere in the middle ages, wear plate armor and are the closest to the concept of knighthood. The elves are art deco. I have to admit I never thought I'd see art deco armor but life has proven me wrong yet again! The elven two handed sabers are unlike anything I've ever seen, they have some slight relationship to some two handed Swiss sabers but not very much. I almost forgot the dwarves, the dwarvish armor and weaponry is arts and craft style with a light seasoning of Viking. The hobbits, being hobbits, had no weaponry of their own design other than perhaps bows, slings, and cudgels, but were capable of using weaponry when they needed to.

Given the importance styling was given, it is, I think, remarkable, that some of the weaponry actually seems workable
Am I insane, or the Witchking's sword is just a dark looking XViiie? Diamond cross section, awl like tip, long ricasso, long handle, upward curved guard, pear shaped pommel (with spikes though). Look at its proportions when compared to the Dane and you'll see what I mean!

Attachment: 21.45 KB
[ Download ]
Federico Tyrawskyj wrote:
Am I insane, or the Witchking's sword is just a dark looking XViiie? Diamond cross section, awl like tip, long ricasso, long handle, upward curved guard, pear shaped pommel (with spikes though). Look at its proportions when compared to the Dane and you'll see what I mean!

your probably not insane, remeber that the nazgul were kings of men at one stage, and as such used the men's style of fighting

one of the swords has a FINGER RING built into the base of the blade, which i think is period?

the elvish 2 handed sabre is based off the nagamaki,
William P wrote:
one of the swords has a FINGER RING built into the base of the blade, which i think is period?

There are Danish late iron age (aka Viking age) examples that have this feature, so yes.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Page 5 of 6

Jump to: