Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Swords You'd Take Into Battle Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next 
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 06 Sep, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Call me crazy but I'm not sure I'd trust my life to anything Windlass.

Might trust an ear or a toe (or something) to a Windlass, but not my life.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 06 Sep, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The choice always seem to be my most recent sword. Wink Laughing Out Loud My Generation 2 Dordogne is very solidly built and I'm getting used to the handling and the heat treat seems very good.

My Christian Fletcher/AT 1435 is probably my best using sword or the one I would have the most confidence in although any of my Albion or A & A would qualify.

Probably my A & A custom Langue de Boeuf would be my first choice as a primary weapon with backup sword, backup A & A Iberian Mace, backup MRL New Coustile and my John Gage Ballock. Laughing Out Loud

Hmmmmmm ..... How about a horse drawn cart for all my swords other arms and armour. Razz So that I don't have to choose as I have very few " cheap " swords that I would lack confidence in.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
Hi guys,

I'd definately use a quality battle ready Cold Steel, Paul Chen, or Windlass example.

For japanese I would go with one of those super nice Cheness blades. Yeah that would be nice! Battle ready!

Jeremy

Heh, "battle ready"! I thought you were serious at first Happy

I did buy one of those Cold Steel poleaxes for my son's zombie defense collection, it would certainly do damage.

From my own current selection of goodies I would probably choose the bush blade I had made by ABS MS William Dean Mitchell years ago for use against the evil zombie horde (it has a kopis like blade and is horrifying at close quarters). Against more mundane targets I would chose my Atrim longsword (sorry not sure which mod number it is). That being said, I have a messer in the works with Ollin and a Dane on pre-order from Albion, so I suspect my choices might change at some point down the road Happy

" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Matthew Miller

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Albion Talhoffer. That there is a trusty sword.
Chris Olsen

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ok disregarding missile type weapons to soften them up a bit (artillery is always helpful Laughing Out Loud )

it is going to sound really silly, but the (then 49.99) katana with the plastic handle and almost shoelace wrapping I picked up years ago when I was really into iado and cutting demos, I own a couple "legitimate" katanas now, but that one is always the first sword I pick up when I am going to demo something or do cutting drills, and it feels like it is a part of me.

but for the sake of using european swords:

my slightly customized A&A irish sword, and a good round shield (I just like them better) for openers.

my iberian mace or my Horsemans axe for when the battle gets close.

or when it just comes down to making a big circle and taking as many as possible.... my A&A german flail will work nicely.. it sure as heck made dismantling my kitchen a lot more fun.
David Martin

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

<edit for content>

I would feel very comfortable using my AT1433 and MRL Viking Hewing Spear.

"When war-gods meet to match their might,
who can tell the bravest born?
Many a hero never made a hole
in another man's breast."

- Sigurd, The Lay of Fafnir

Last edited by David Martin on Tue 11 Sep, 2007 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Folks,
The original point of this thread was about what sword you'd take into battle. The digression into zombie-killing is off-topic for this site.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
The choice always seem to be my most recent sword. Wink Laughing Out Loud My Generation 2 Dordogne is very solidly built and I'm getting used to the handling and the heat treat seems very good.

My Christian Fletcher/AT 1435 is probably my best using sword or the one I would have the most confidence in although any of my Albion or A & A would qualify.

Probably my A & A custom Langue de Boeuf would be my first choice as a primary weapon with backup sword, backup A & A Iberian Mace, backup MRL New Coustile and my John Gage Ballock. Laughing Out Loud

Hmmmmmm ..... How about a horse drawn cart for all my swords other arms and armour. Razz So that I don't have to choose as I have very few " cheap " swords that I would lack confidence in.

Sounds like you need a "sword caddy" as well.

"Give me my number 4 sword for this battle caddy!"

Or you can be like the Jetsons...with an Acme Sword Dispensing vending machine on your cart. ;-)
Charlee Garvin

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Post-Apocalyptic scenario         Reply with quote

Fun topic---

Actually I'm prepared for this:

I'll strap on an Albion Knecht, along with a Ruger Redhawk revolver
and carry a Ruger Mini-30 rifle. Got boo-koo ammo already.
Jeremy V. Krause

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that this is a rediculously silly topic and not worthy of myArmoury.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremy V. Krause wrote:
I think that this is a rediculously silly topic and not worthy of myArmoury.

When this thread started (3 years ago) it was very valid: what modern sword would you trust your life with? Unfortunately, it's become off-topic more recently. Zombies and such are not our normal fare.

Happy

ChadA

Travis C.

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: sword to trust your life with in modern world         Reply with quote

Either my Viceroy or my Talhoffer for when my ammo eventually runs out. The Viceroy if the brigands still wore regular clothes or leather stuff. Maybe the Talhoffer if people started getting mad max and wearing sections of metal trashcans or other plates or bits as personal armor upgrades... Happy
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My favourite is without question my cervenka schiavonna. The blade is what the anglophones call the cut & thrust variety and the basket is nice for those close encounters where the adversary has somehow made his way past the blade. As a second weapon I would rely on my Arms and Armor 12th century spear, with butt spike.It has a nice heft to it and sufficient metal to punch through a few layers of defensive materials, the butt spike is just there to leave the other guy wondering... what the hell is that for?....
Bon coeur et bon bras
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
My favourite is without question my cervenka schiavonna. The blade is what the anglophones call the cut & thrust variety and the basket is nice for those close encounters where the adversary has somehow made his way past the blade. As a second weapon I would rely on my Arms and Armor 12th century spear, with butt spike.It has a nice heft to it and sufficient metal to punch through a few layers of defensive materials, the butt spike is just there to leave the other guy wondering... what the hell is that for?....

A yes the regular spear is very fast compared to my much heavier Langue de Boeuf and is another weapon to haul around on the weapons cart. Wink

What type/make of butt spike did you put on your 12th century spear ? I used the pointy MRL one I purchased from Kult of Athena: It's quite stout and heavy duty and balances the spear head very well. It would be my preferred end to use against an armoured foe and it could almost be seen as a narrow and long mace head !
http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~6000...uttcap.htm

Actually two of these spikes mounted on a quarter staff would give one the equivalent of the shod staff seen in the work of George Silver in the book by Paul Wagner, page 52.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Fri 07 Sep, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Which two swords from my collection would I trust my life to? Well, if I only had to pick two, I suppose I'd select my Arms&Armor Black Prince and my Practical Plus katana.

And perhaps a shotgun for those pesky zombies... Razz

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Salut Thibodeau,
the spear but is a regular cone which Craig of A&A was good enough to make for my order of different spears and javelins as A&A doesn't offer any butts as part of their usual line-up. Those he sent me are well made, no perceptible welding marks and finish off my spears nicely. I haven't seen the MRL's but the pictures look good. I like having metal at both ends of a spear and not having wood touching the earth at rest, plus the added value of having a pole which can stab with both ends (although the spike is more of an annoyance than a serious tool like the spear itself), and also it gives the spear a finished look.

Bon coeur et bon bras
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Swords You'd Take Into Battle         Reply with quote

Timothy Gulics wrote:
What sword would you take into battle?

I have a similar question (I apologize in advance if this was already discussed): What ARMOUR would you wear?

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 08 Sep, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Swords You'd Take Into Battle         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
Timothy Gulics wrote:
What sword would you take into battle?

I have a similar question (I apologize in advance if this was already discussed): What ARMOUR would you wear?

Ted,
This might be better as a new topic.

Happy

ChadA

Mike Harris

PostPosted: Mon 10 Sep, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a hard time answering this question because there are so many variables. But it would likely be a light, fast and handy single-hander. I would want a good cutter, but with enough rigidity for serviceable thrusting...at least through leather jackets and such.

Either of these would probably meet my needs...I think. It would likely serve as a CQB weapon, as a backup to firearms, and when less noise was an overriding consideration. And when coupled with a discarded police riot shield...a formidable combo. Happy

Gus Trim's Type XII from the last Blade Show display

An ATrim 1312
Rupert Simpsen

PostPosted: Tue 11 Sep, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

this thin ghanging off my k31 rifle is as fclose as a sword item i have id take to battle. pretty nasty lookin aint it?

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Swords You'd Take Into Battle
Page 5 of 11 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: