Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 73, 74, 75  Next

Military smallsword, 28 inch long blade, 2.3 centimeters at the forte. High cross-section. 1st half of the 18th century. Its an excellent misericorde of a sword. I keep thinking that its something a coachman might wear under his coat. This would give a stiff thrust!

Attachment: 31.85 KB
french smallsword.jpg

Attachment: 26.76 KB
french smallsword.2jpg.jpg

Attachment: 22.18 KB
french smallsword.3jpg.jpg

Attachment: 21.63 KB
french smallsword.4jpg.jpg

Attachment: 25.51 KB
french smallsword.5jpg.jpg

That is an interesting smallsword with a very sturdy blade. I wonder if you can cut with it, though it is obviously a thruster. I notice that the absence of a knucklebow allows you to get a very firm grip on the hilt. The guard looks a lot like one you would find on a cuttoe.

Very nice. Very deadly.
I'm pretty sure that its a hollow ground blade (its still on its way to me) so no cutting. It is wide enough however to parry a heavier blade and then give a horrendous thrust that would probably even penetrate a heavy uniform coat. To me the hilt looks like a classical first half of the 18th century smallsword hilt sans knuckleguard. But it sort of does have a cuttoe effect. It makes me think of another 18th cen hollowground sword I saw that had no knuckleguard. And the width of the blade was HUGE. It was sort of like a hunting or traveling sword.
Morgan Butler wrote:
Military smallsword, 28 inch long blade, 2.3 centimeters at the forte. High cross-section. 1st half of the 18th century. Its an excellent misericorde of a sword. I keep thinking that its something a coachman might wear under his coat. This would give a stiff thrust!

I quite like that smallsword. This is the first time I've seen such a robust specimen, but it's a fascinating contrast to the "deadly daintyness" of the lighter smallswords I'm used to seeing. :)
Yeah, I looked closely and there are some notches from parrying near the forte. Obviously it did part of its job! Looks like it parried a heavier cutting weapon.
Scott Kowalski wrote:
Christopher Gregg wrote:
Scott Kowalski wrote:
That looks great Christopher. The Laird is on my short list of Albions I would really like to get. My biggest trouble is that I also like the Caithness which is the same blade with different furniture. Decisions, decisions.

What color is the grip? It looks like oxblood or dark brown but it is hard to tell.

Scott

Scott, thanks! I really like this sword, too. The grip is a really dark oxblood, but leans towards a combination of chocolate and plum (weird, I know). It's really pretty in person.

I DO have a sort of Caithness :surprised: cobbled together by Donnie Shearer (The Mad Piper). A customer sent him an Albion Caithnes with the instructions to use its blade on a basket hilted claymore, and afterwards, the hilt parts were tossed into a box. I visited Donnie shortly after that, and he agreed to make me a sword using the Albion Caithness parts, so... I selected one of his bare blades (I think it came from a very well done "Kingdom of Heaven" sword, don't know which one, very wide, very thin, small central fuller, and chose a longer, almost hand-and-a-half grip (another Windlass cast-off). The sword handles wonderfully! It's only part Albion, but hey, Donnie only charged me a fraction of a Caithness' price. I'll try to post pics of it. Thanks for the kind words on the Laird - I'm still jazzed about it!

You are welcome Christopher. I really like that color variation.

I would love to see the picture of your Caithness! It sounds like a really cool hybrid you have there.

Scott

OK, guys, I just snapped a couple of pics of my hybrid Caithness/KoH Scottish hand-and-a-half. It's light, fast, well balanced, and aside from the recycled Windlass grip, a pretty nice sword (I'll replace the wrapping in the future). It's hanging on the wall about eight feet up by a leather cord. The stats are:

Length: 40"
Blade: 31"
Blade width at guard: 2"
Blade width 2" from tip: 1.5"
Weight: approx. 2 lbs. 2 oz.

Hope you like! It's a fun composite piece reclaimed from cast-off parts, and fairly unique.

Cheers!
Thank you for posting this Christopher. It really looks like it would be a handy sword and it all blends together really nice! In fact, if you had not said that is was a composite of parts it would be hard to tell that it wasn't made this way from the get go. congratulations on a unique sword that no one else will probably ever have!

Scott
Roger Hooper wrote:
That is an interesting smallsword with a very sturdy blade. I wonder if you can cut with it, though it is obviously a thruster. I notice that the absence of a knucklebow allows you to get a very firm grip on the hilt. The guard looks a lot like one you would find on a cuttoe.

Very nice. Very deadly.

I just recieved the sword yesterday and the blade is very wide and almost sharp enough to cut with. Perhaps it was sharp at one time. Anyone with any knowledge about early hollow-ground smallswords with sharp edges?
It also turns out this sword is probably late 17th century which is a plus!

Attachment: 22.66 KB
my new sword 1.jpg

Crecy
I just took delivery of an Albion Crecy and thought that I would post a quick message here as it was bought through the Marketplace and whilst I have sold quite a few swords through this 'site, this is the first time that I have been the buyer. I've wanted one of these for a long time and with the Pound's recent plunge against the Euro thought that the chance had gone, so a big thank-you to Julien M for making this possible.

Cheers,
Darrin.

Attachment: 78.6 KB
Crecy1.JPG

Excalibur

This is a fantasy sword I've wanted for a long time. I couldn't afford the Discerner,
but this sword is I believe the next best thing. I was quite surprised by the craftsmanship
and I just love it.

Generation 2 Excalibur, 2nd run.

I just received the Windlass Kindjal for my birthday, and I have been wanting this blade for about two or three years now, so I was pretty happy! This is a pretty well built item for the price, and the scabbard isn't bad either. It's well balanced and strong, and is pretty unique.

I don't have my own photos yet, so here is a link from KOA.

http://www.kultofathena.com/product~item~4003...indjal.htm
I have a new custom ring hilt sword from Arms and Armor. This pairs their Irish sword cross and ring pommel with a Type XIIIa blade similar to the Bohemian broadsword. I was cutting with this for the first time yesterday and Pat Kelly's review of the Bohemian broadsword is spot on. This blade cuts soft targets effortlessly and is a joy to handle. It is rather lighter in weight than most XIIIa's, but has a POB at 6 inches. I have come to appreciate this combination of weight and POB the last few years - it makes for a very controllable sword capable of combination cuts that sometimes I quite frankly can struggle with on a sword with a POB close to the cross. It is a little large (36 inch blade, 45.25 total) for hanging on a belt so I am using an old Albion Baldric (thanks Dan!) with this one to sling over the shoulder. I would like to thank Craig for taking on this commission for me. This sword is top shelf in every way. tr

Wow, it's perfect combination Thom!

Looking at pictures, I don't really like the look of Irish sword, nor Bohemian broadsword at all, yet the parts of them combined into this one look great.

Interesting dimensions too.
That is a very nice looking sword Thom. Do you happen to know how much it weighs? I like Irish ring pommels and this one looks really nice teamed with that blade.

Scott
Thanks for the feedback! The sword weighs 1190 g. (2 pounds 10 oz) I really like the profile taper on this blade. The blade is thin in the last third of the blade. It sags just a little under its own weight when held horizontal. Despite being a wide and rather thin Type XIIIa, there are no noticeable grind marks on the blade at all and the fuller is perfect. Its quite beautiful. tr

Scott Kowalski wrote:
That is a very nice looking sword Thom. Do you happen to know how much it weighs? I like Irish ring pommels and this one looks really nice teamed with that blade.

Scott
My newest arrival (yesterday, making it a 9-day turn-around) is an Albion Crecy:

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

While at it, I decided to take some better photos of my Albion Chevalier as well:

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Those are good looking swords, Ed, especially the Crecy, which I think of as the best all-around sword. I like the blue color of the grip leather, but I bet it looks a lot lighter in the photos than in person.
The only object that I have that wouldn't be considered a wall hanger is a Torino Main Gauche made by CAS Iberia/Hanwei. I purchased it after reading a review found in this page of the Solingen main gauche and rapier.

[ Linked Image ]

Hopefully I made a good investment.
Roger Hooper wrote:
Those are good looking swords, Ed, especially the Crecy, which I think of as the best all-around sword. I like the blue color of the grip leather, but I bet it looks a lot lighter in the photos than in person.

Yes, you're right. The blue came out a lot lighter in the photo than in person. Under indoor incandescent lighting, it's more like a dark navy blue. The Chevalier is closer to accurate, though it really brought out the bronze color of the pommel, which is more subtle in person.
So excited, and I just can't hide it!
So after a ho hum week of dealing with an erratically-behaving computer and failing air conditioning unit at home (and I live in a really warm, humid area of the US), I arrive from work to a pleasant surprise. Behold, my first ever Western/European as well as Albion sword!

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww319/Arcturion/DSC00568.jpg
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww319/Arcturion/DSC00569.jpg
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww319/Arcturion/DSC00570.jpg
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww319/Arcturion/DSC00571.jpg
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww319/Arcturion/DSC00572.jpg
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww319/Arcturion/DSC00573.jpg
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww319/Arcturion/DSC00574.jpg
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww319/Arcturion/DSC00575.jpg
http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww319/Arcturion/DSC00576.jpg

Please excuse the poor quality of the pictures (taken with a 3.2 mega-pixel cell phone camera).

I've been a longtime katanaphile for a while now, but after receiving my new Next Generation Kingmaker (with light brown "campaign worn" grip and antiqued fittings - after seeing Mr. Brian K.'s own Kingmaker, it was a no brainer as to which sword to get), I'm seriously torn between East and West now! This might turn into a dangerous addiction (and a threat to the ol' bank account) if I'm not careful, heh.

This was my first time dealing with Albion and I have to say that Mike and the good folks there were very professional and prompt with their responses to my questions. A great buying experience all around! The sword feels great in the hand, very lively with nice balance, and the fit and finish are top notch! Almost too perfect, it's how scary it is! I was a bit iffy about the final results of the antiquing but it came out lovely and really sets the blade and grip apart.

And the blade, wow. I had no knowledge of hollow ground blades only a few months ago but Albion's got me sold on the precision with which they can make theirs. Again, scary perfect. The gun case that shipped with the sword is pretty neat too, but this blade is just begging for a scabbard and belt suspension in the near future. (A tough decision... do I get that, a decent camera, or my first gun purchase? All while saving enough for a trip to Greece next year... decisions, decisions!)

Oh, before I forget, the recess in the pommel is also just begging for some sort of ornamentation, such as a coin. Any recommendations for one befitting the style and time period of this particular sword?

Many thanks to the good folks at Albion for making my first Euro-style production blade purchase go so smoothly and to the folks here for arming me with knowledge about Western swords!

Last edited by T Lui on Thu 24 Sep, 2009 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 73, 74, 75  Next

Page 34 of 75

Jump to: