Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Well, maybe a sturdier version of the stiletto--more commonly called the poniard. I wouldn't call it "thin" since it may be narrow but compensates for that narrowness by having a thicker, often edgeless blade--not rarely of a triangular or square cross-section. Do check the "Forms of European Edged Weaponry" article in the Features section because it will provide you with much more information than I can deliver effectively here.
Beautiful poniard daggers Lafayette. Rondel daggers are beautiful ones too.
While i was reading the features, i stoped in the Italian army feature. And i´ve seen that some of thir clothes were like Turk ones. Do you know if during XVI century, Holy Roman Empire, Italy, Poland, or maybe Hungary were still fighting against Turks?
Becouse, you see, the Italian wars and the French wars of Religion were fought around that period, and, as said before, the Pope and other countries were more interested in defeating the other Christians instead of fighting in the Balcans. (With exception of the Malta knights)

Thanks
Rodolfo Martínez wrote:
Beautiful poniard daggers Lafayette. Rondel daggers are beautiful ones too.
While i was reading the features, i stoped in the Italian army feature. And i´ve seen that some of thir clothes were like Turk ones. Do you know if during XVI century, Holy Roman Empire, Italy, Poland, or maybe Hungary were still fighting against Turks?
Becouse, you see, the Italian wars and the French wars of Religion were fought around that period, and, as said before, the Pope and other countries were more interested in defeating the other Christians instead of fighting in the Balcans. (With exception of the Malta knights)

Thanks

Rodolfo;

The 16th Century was probably the high-point of the wars between the Holy Roman Empire and the Ottomans, as it saw not only the Turkish conquest of most of Hungary but the first (and far more serious) Seige of Vienna, and tons of battles between the Imperial forces and the Turks. Güns, Stulweissenburg, Pesth, etc. all went back and forth between the contending empires, as well as major battles such as Lepanto and Kerestes.

There were also the Italian Wars between the Habsburgs and the Valois which coincided with much of the Imperial contest between Habsburg and Ottoman, and the Valois kings of France were not above allying themselves with the Turk to gain advantage over their enemies. Thus it seems as though whenever the Kaiser was trying to focus on the Turkish threat to Christendom (and the Habsburg hereditary lands in Austria) the French would distract him with another invasion of Italy. At least this was pretty much the standard until the end of the Habsburg-Valois Wars in 1559. After that, there was little French interference, but sadly without the unified strength of both Austria and Spain as had been the case under Charles V (Carlos Primero of Spain) there wasn't the focus nor strength needed to soundly defeat the Turks. And though the Austrian branch of the Habsburgs continued to combat the Turk, the King of Spain Felipe II was in his turn distracted by the Dutch Revolt/80-Years War. (Though Philip was focused enough to put together the fleet under the command of his half-brother Don Juan of Austria that devestated the Turkish galley fleet at Lepanto in 1572.)

As noted, various notables urged a reunification of Christendom to engage in a Holy Crusade against the Turks, but sadly they weren't heeded, and the internecene fighting continued apace, to grind the entire center of the continent into ashes during the 30-Years War. The Turks really weren't defeated and begun to be driven back until their failed second Seige of Vienna in 1683, where the combined Austrian-Polish forces handed a huge defeat to the Turks, and began their long march back to their present borders.

Cheers,

Gordon
Those "Turkish-looking" garment in the Features article are actually Balkan ones. They're worn by the Slavonic mercenaries in Italian (mostly Venetian) service, not the Italians, but some Italian magnates might have adopted such garments for show--not for battle or daily wear.
Thanks a lot guys!

A last question about the battle against Ottomans, Do you know if condottieri fought against turks during XVI century too?

Thanks.
Forget about the condottieri, i forgot that they were destroyed near 1550. But thanks.

During the Italian wars, did every city got their own man-at-arms, or they only hired mercenaries?

Thanks.
The simple answer? Most did both. Where they differed was in the relative proportions of the citizen and mercenary forces.
There's one thing I forgot to mention: some heavy horse of the lance-armed variety also carried a pistol as an emergency close-quarters weapon. There was at least one European power that made a regulation about it, but if I remember correctly it only allowed the practice rather than making it mandatory. Can anybody confirm/refute this?
Quote:
The simple answer? Most did both. Where they differed was in the relative proportions of the citizen and mercenary forces.

Sorry, but i´m not aware of ¨citizen soldiers¨, Are you refering to ¨national¨ infantry and men at arms, or mostly about militias?

About the pistol, as far as i know, they used longer lances than french gendarmes, but having seen the power of the pistol in close combat it´s possible that they used some apart of the lance. I´m not sure if they adopted the german mounted pistoleer system, i was told that they used the french lance, but again, it could be possible that they used the gun too (Maybe the 7th weapon?)
I´m sure that someone will give you more accurate and detailed info.
Read Machiavelli. He advocated the recruitment of foot troops from Florence's citizen base, and many cities (including Florence herself_ tired to follow his advice with varying degrees of success. Of course, some of the cities might still also have had feudal retainers but, as we all know, feudal military service had largely been replaced by scutage since several centuries before the Italian Wars.

The question about the pistol was actually meant to attract Gordon's attention, since after all he's a member of a reenactment group specializing in 16th-century french cavalry. If anybody in this site knows about such regulations, I suspect it would be him. And yes, what I meant by adding the pistol to the list is that they carried the pistol in addition to their usual weapons.
Lafayette C Curtis wrote:

The question about the pistol was actually meant to attract Gordon's attention, since after all he's a member of a reenactment group specializing in 16th-century french cavalry. If anybody in this site knows about such regulations, I suspect it would be him. And yes, what I meant by adding the pistol to the list is that they carried the pistol in addition to their usual weapons.

Sorry about taking so long to answer this, I had a big event at my place this weekend (complete with pistols, LOL!) and was rather detained by it.

Anyway... First to note about the Italian city militias, it seems as though the standard was for cities to provide Cavalry, while the countryside provided the bulk of the Infantry. The reasons for this were that first and foremost, Cavalry is hideously expensive, and only the rich merchants of the cities could afford to outfit their sons for such, and secondly the countryside was populated by lots of strong young men who were probably bored of their farming occupations, and would love a chance to do something interesting. As it worked out, I understand that most professional Infantry regiments were primarily made up of urban fellows, but the militias seem to have used plenty of rural lads, too.

Per pistols, the Germans were of course the first to adopt in en masse, giving the rest of the European heavy cavalry quite a scare, but they were copied fairly quickly by others. I'm not certain about the Burgundian companies of ordnance, but the French encouraged their hommes d'armes and archiers to carry a pistol in addition to their lance, and the cheveaux lèger seem to have been armed exclusively with pistols by the 1560's. However, at least in the Royal Army, these particular units were generally upgraded into companies of ordnance and used the lance, though retaining their pistols as well.

Sir Roger Williams goes into a lot of detail on the difference between "Rutters" and "Launtiers" (pistol-armed armoured cavalry and lance-armoured cavalry, but lighter than companies of ordnance). He felt the lance a better weapon, but definitely recommended that "the Launtier carry one pistol at the least.

There definitely were regulations as to the use of pistols by cavalry by the 3rd Quarter of the 16th Century, and lots of encouragement to do so by those who weren't required to carry them, but the requirements don't seem to have been needed much, since everyone who could seems to have armed himself with one by then. And yes, it was generally an additional weapon, certainly in the begining, and to be used after the first breaking of lances against the enemy. Only by the 1580's do the French Huguenots seem to have transfered their allegience to the pistol, and dropped the lance entirely, while the Catholics held to them until the end of the Wars of Religion around 1600, the Spanish Heavy Cavalry even later. In 1603 (IIRC) a Spanish Royal Proclaimation officially discarded the lance from Spanish cavalry units, and English cavalrymen followed soon after. (Poles of course kept the use of the lance, one way or another, without interuption until 1939.)

Cheers!

Gordon
Thanks Gordon.

Maybe this is a silly question, but we always see in movies that when a knight is downed from his horse, it use to run away. I was wondering, if these horses were very agressive stallions trained to bite, quick and make so many scary thing, weren´t them trained to protect their downed rider too, or at least being by his/her side? (In case of being downed by infantry units or other gendarme, not charging)

Thanks
Rodolfo;

Hopefully I'm answering your question properly here, please repeat the question if I'm not.

The biggest thing to remember about films with animals in them is the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals has a BIG say in how they do things in film these days. Thus rather than bringing down the animal for good (like they did in the old Westerns from the 1920's and 1930's) they train them to go down at command, and when the rider "falls off" the horse just gets up and trots off. In reality, if the horse and man go down, the man is more likely to get up, because if the horse wasn't injured he wouldn't go down, but rather he'd just keep plowing on through things.

I haven't heard of horses being actually trained to stay with their rider to protect them, though I'm sure that it's happened. However, usually the horse's blood is up and he's full of excitement, so he keeps on going when the rider is removed from the saddle in such a situation. He is going to to everything he can to stay with his "herd" of the other charging horses no matter what. There are plenty of paintings from the 19th Century of cavalry charges showing riderless horses charging right along side their companions, having no intentions of being left behind. They'll more than likely obey the trumpet commands, too, rider or not, because they become used to them just like soldiers do. I can go into more detail on that if you need me to.

You are absolutely right in that they were generally stallions (Knights and Gendarme's horses, at least) and they were trained to bite and kick their opponents, and to run them down as well. There is an account by a French officer from the Napoleonic Wars of a battle in Russia (I think it was Borodino, but I can't recall at the moment) in which his Arabian Stallion bit a Russian sergeant on the face, and ripped his face off, then grabbed a Russian officer by the chest and with the Frenchman still aboard, charged back to the French lines with the Russian screaming the entire way. Definitely something to instill a bit of respect for the horses into the infantrymen. Stallions can be VERY aggressive. :eek:

Cheers!

Gordon
Quote:
The biggest thing to remember about films with animals in them is the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals has a BIG say in how they do things in film these days. Thus rather than bringing down the animal for good (like they did in the old Westerns from the 1920's and 1930's) they train them to go down at command, and when the rider "falls off" the horse just gets up and trots off. In reality, if the horse and man go down, the man is more likely to get up, because if the horse wasn't injured he wouldn't go down, but rather he'd just keep plowing on through things.

Something wich i forgot... :\ Thanks.
I wasn´t aware of man eating Arabic Stallion... :wtf:

I´m not questioning the reallity of movies, if you train a horse to make wath true warhorses did, people can get harmed as well as other animals.

During a cavalry charge i´m not sure if the horse realize if the rider if still mounting him (In the middle of the battle confusion), but, imagine a downed rider, not in a charge, while fighting against infantry, Can the horse, if enough agressive stay by his rider´s side and ¨protect¨him/her? I mean, horses are intelligent, strong and very mean if they want, but during the confusion the animal can run away too, i don´t know. I think that some kind of link between the horse and the man-at-arms should have existed. I don´t know.
Well, even with the horse-to-man bonding caused in years of training together, horse-to-horse herd instinct usually wins out. If you look at accounts of horsemanship from modern pastoralist societies like the Bakhtiari nomads and the American cowboys, it's usually more common for the horse to go along with a charge or stampede and then return to its rider after the charge or stampede is ended.

Horses peeling out of a charge and stopping to protect their riders may be a staple of fantasy but I don't think it was a very common phenomenon in history. Not without telepathy or some other form of supernatural communication, which would be impossible to prove or disprove from the accounts or pictorial representations.
I think i haven´t pointed my question properly. I´m not saying a horse leaving the charge, i mean, a horse whose rider was unhorsed in a casuality against infantry, not in a charge. Was it trained to bite and do wathever even without the asistance of the rider, and staying near the Gendarme?

Thanks.

P.D.

Gordon, do you know where i can find any image of a full armour with the bases cloth skirt whorn over the armour (Like the Gendarme armour)?

Thanks
Rodolfo;

I certainly don't know of any instances where the horse stayed to protect it's master, but I'm sure it could have happened. And they were indeed trained to kick and bite opponents, so it's entirely possible. However, most Cavalry vs Infantry encounters were on a pretty large scale, with hundreds if not thousands of participants, so as Lafayette stated, it would be a lot more likely for the herd instinct to overcome any other feelings or thoughs on the part of the horse, and the horse would tend to go with his herd, rather than stay with his master.

Here's a painting from the Albums section of myArmoury, an allegorical painting of the Battle of Alexandra:

[ Linked Image ]

I'm sure that there are others in there as well.

Cheers!

Gordon
Nice painting Gordon.

Hey Gordon, as i was told that you are in a Gendarmes reenactment group i was wondering if the cloth skirts were for any specifical purpouse?

Do you use to wear the cloth skirt base over the harness when wearing full armour?

Thanks.
Rodolfo Martínez wrote:
Nice painting Gordon.

Hey Gordon, as i was told that you are in a Gendarmes reenactment group i was wondering if the cloth skirts were for any specifical purpouse?

Do you use to wear the cloth skirt base over the harness when wearing full armour?

Thanks.

Rodolfo;

Actually we're doing cheveaux lèger, which is a slightly lighter form of cavalry than the gendarmerie would have been. I for one just can't manage to afford the spare horses and full armour, and it's hard enough to recruit for this one! :D (Cheveaux lèger were still heavy cavalry, but just not quite the leviathans that the gendarmerie fielded.) Here's the website for my unit, though it's not particularly finished at present. The fellows in the leading picture are of course in late-15th Century armour, rather than the 16th Century that we are actually focusing on, but you have to start somewhere...

http://home.earthlink.net/~nebbo/cav/

As far as I know, the "bases" or "waffenrock" were mostly for decoration and fashion. However, they DO help to cover one's backside rather well, as dense folds of velvet or wool have a marked ability to slow down a weapon's progress when encountered. I've not worn a waffenrock OVER armour, but I've worn it with/under armour on occasion, though it's been a few (!) years. :eek:

[ Linked Image ]

The armour is all wrong for the clothing, they being probably fifty years apart, but what the heck, we were just learning these minor details... :confused:

Cheers!

Gordon
Another image worth checking:

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/0JLARY2MAyg5EuT2...201504.jpg

BTW, the painting of the "Battle of Alexander" that Gordon linked to was probably meant to represent the battle of Issus. Sometimes it gets me wondering about what might have happened if Alexander's troops had really worn all those 16th-century armors!
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Page 4 of 5

Jump to: