Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

William P wrote:
Ben P. wrote:
Ryan S. wrote:

It wouldn't be hard to train in groups of ten, but I still think that knights wanting to break formation and competing for glory was a constant problem for commanders.

Depends on the unit, one might be dependable, solid and coolheaded enough to hold their ground and then another unit from another duchy, barony, what have you, might be about as reliable and controllable as herd of cats.

While there's a lot of coverage given to cavalry charges that went horribly awry there's not much (that I've seen anyway) given to units that executed controlled charges and remained cool under fire.

probably for the same reason alot of people proportedly watch the nascar to watch the spectacular crashes as much as watch the racing.

and the idea hat newspapers supposedly print bad news more than good. (or so the perception goes anyway)

Good point, you see the same thing on youtube where the most popular videos (or they were at one time) were of animal attacks.

BTW that link of the girl training that cow to jump was very cool and I applaud the young lady's ingenuity and original thinking. :D
that being said, its satisfying to see a charge of cavalry steamroll a formation of infantry.

in M2TW broken crescent, cataphract charge can flatten an entire battalion of sword and shield wielding, maile armored infantry i.e dismounted knights, by the charge impetus alone (by this i mean the entire unit went from full to less than 10 men and sometimes wen from full to 0 men almost instantly. and note, this was a charge to the front, not a charge to the flanks or rear of these men.
Ben P. wrote:
Ryan S. wrote:

It wouldn't be hard to train in groups of ten, but I still think that knights wanting to break formation and competing for glory was a constant problem for commanders.

Depends on the unit, one might be dependable, solid and coolheaded enough to hold their ground and then another unit from another duchy, barony, what have you, might be about as reliable and controllable as herd of cats.

While there's a lot of coverage given to cavalry charges that went horribly awry there's not much (that I've seen anyway) given to units that executed controlled charges and remained cool under fire.

When a knight goes to war his very expensive horses (see Verbruggen) are insured against combat damage by the army commander. If he doesn't follow orders, the insurance won't pay. It would be similar to people following traffic rules, most people stay within certain boundaries.

Good link about riding oxen in Africa. It seems they had cavalry, they sat on the oxen and even put torches on their horns for charges. http://globalhorseculture.typepad.com/global_...iding.html
That made me think, did Hannibal's army ride around on oxen? It has been calculated that they marched the distance cattle could travel. This has been seen as necessity by the cattle herds that provided them logistics. Could the cattle also carry the warriors? Taking that angle, the widespread small "Celtic" cattles in much of Europe might be very suitable for this job because like ponies they are more likely to have endurance as infantry mounts. Does someone know any research on this issue?
you need oxen anyway to carry goods and carts fo logistical purposes so may as well have the men sit on the oxen in the meantime.
No, I've never heard of infantry riding cattle or oxen in any numbers on the march. It would exhaust the animals and slow them down. You'd have to train the cattle to carry the men, and train the men to ride the cattle. Great if you're creating a "cavalry" or mounted infantry force without access to horses, lousy for an infantry force that simply has pack animals or beef cattle in the baggage train.

Armies marched at the speed of an ox because they used oxcarts to carry stuff. That's true well into the 19th century.

Matthew
Quote:
in M2TW broken crescent, cataphract charge can flatten an entire battalion of sword and shield wielding, maile armored infantry i.e dismounted knights, by the charge impetus alone

This really means nothing, I've seen many miniature wargames that I think provide a better representation.

But the point is none of these games really show anything. They are merely games, and may be horribly inacurrate, or possibly accurate.

Researching the results of any clash of cavalry vs foot is the only way to do it - and realizing some of the accounts may be off based on bias.
Matthew Amt wrote:
No, I've never heard of infantry riding cattle or oxen in any numbers on the march. It would exhaust the animals and slow them down. You'd have to train the cattle to carry the men, and train the men to ride the cattle. Great if you're creating a "cavalry" or mounted infantry force without access to horses, lousy for an infantry force that simply has pack animals or beef cattle in the baggage train.

Armies marched at the speed of an ox because they used oxcarts to carry stuff. That's true well into the 19th century.

Matthew

Matthew, I learned that as well, but ox carts need skill and machinery for maintenance and the Roman military switched to mules without carts for some reason - less demand of roads and maintenance, better power projection.
German Schutztruppen and others in Africa did use cattle and water buffalos as transport animals for mounted infantry with lots of equipment and there's evidence that this was a widespread and is an underresearched phenomena. Widespread means, you find this idea from South East Asia, Central Europe, South Africa to South America. Riding oxen seems as common as using spears and slings, but neglected, probably in part because it clearly has no connotation of prestige.
I doubt our heavy cattle of today is a useful riding animal, but some bull fighter breeds of South West Europe and Latin America seem very lean, muscular, long legged and agile to me. What do we know about their marching capability?
Another source are the riding oxen of South Africa, because they live in a territory with water far apart, giving endurance and long distance travel a selective advantage.
Gary Teuscher wrote:
Quote:
in M2TW broken crescent, cataphract charge can flatten an entire battalion of sword and shield wielding, maile armored infantry i.e dismounted knights, by the charge impetus alone

This really means nothing, I've seen many miniature wargames that I think provide a better representation.

But the point is none of these games really show anything. They are merely games, and may be horribly inacurrate, or possibly accurate.

Researching the results of any clash of cavalry vs foot is the only way to do it - and realizing some of the accounts may be off based on bias.

oh...
that had nothing to do with being historically accurate, just saying how satisfying i when a charge goes RIGHT and it tears your victims apart. it was more discussing the point that we seem o more often remember when the cavalry lance charge SUCCEEDS.
im saying while people have a natural sense of schadenfreude and enjoy watching train wrecks bu we also enjoy things working.
Ryan S. wrote:
Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
Ryan S. wrote:
I think for the longest time getting cavalry to charge in tight formation was hard, and I don't know how feudal armies where they did not train together would be able to do it.

But they did train together! Read Verbruggen's The Art of War in Europe During the Middle Ages for heaps and heaps of examples about medieval men-at-arms drilling in formation on horseback. Obviously, not all men-at-arms had such a high standard of drill and discipline, but there were enough who did to give the lie to the idea that medieval knights were undrilled individual fighters.

You don't happen to know what formation(s) they trained in? I would think they would not be able to train in large groups, because they weren't standing armies.

The one thing we know for certain is that practices varied throughout the temporal and geographical breadth of the Middle Ages. In some places and times the king or lord was powerful (or respected enough) to enact legislations requiring his vassals to muster at specific times of the year and engage in large-scale training games even if the kingdom/county/principality wasn't at war. Elsewhere there were no larger structures to force men-at-arms to train together beyond the custom of meeting up from time to time with other knights from the local district/neighbourhood and practicing small-scale troop manoeuvres and games.

It should be remembered, however, that most medieval forces were not large armies but rather small flying columns numbering in the hundreds or dozens and operating primarily in the fashion of short-range raids or local defence actions. The leaders of the individual troops in these forces would probably have known each other personally in peacetime by virtue of coming from the same social class and geographical area, so they probably wouldn't have had a hard time convening a council of war between themselves and electing a temporary leader for the purposes of the campaign at hand.

In larger armies, of course, the issue would have been more complicated, and ad hoc command arrangements would have had to be improvised at the beginning of each campaign in order to group the many contingents into a smaller and more manageable number of subdivisions. If the campaign lasted long enough, one could expect the semi-spontaneous development of command and organisational arrangements that would allow the army to operate somewhat more efficiently; as the Middle Ages progressed and larger companies became more permanents (or at least contracted for longer periods), these arrangements formed the nucleus of organisational practices that later became formalised in such institutions as the French and Burgundian Ordinances.

Smarter commanders--especially in the earlier centuries--would have realised that they should develop plans that could be carried out by the various subdivisions with minimal or no supervision once the battle was joined. Usually this meant that most of the army was intended to engage the enemy frontally, but it did not close the door to such subtleties as flanking movements by a reserve force (sometimes personally led by the commander in chief) or feigned flights.

Another important fact is that the problems associated with a lack of training in large-scale manoeuvres was not restricted to mediaeval armies. Austrian cavalry as late as the Napoleonic Wars were known as splendid fighters on a squadron-per-squadron basis but performed inefficiently in massive cavalry engagements involving brigade-sized or larger forces. As it turned out, they--like many contemporary forces--had rarely or never performed manoeuvres and exercises at anything above regimental level, so there was always a serious risk of confusion whenever multiple regiments had to work and fight together as part of a larger unit. Napoleon's Grande Armee proved to be such a steamroller when it was unleashed in 1806 because the entire army had had the privilege of training together in very large-scale exercises originally intended to prepare them for an invasion of England.
Anti- archer tactics on flat terrain could be using large pavises on wheels each Sheltering small groups.

Another form of these mobile shelters could be mobile roofs on high struts also on wheels used in combination with the mobile pavises and individual shields: These would cover againts long range plunging arrow storms.

Maybe even have archers/crossbowmen on light mobile towers.

The whole thing in supplement to regular heavy, light and missile troop tactics and formations.

This might even have been effective as a counter to horse archers by a mostly infantry army ..... wouldn't be able to chase around a mobile force of cavalry or foot skirmishers/archers who refused to close, but such a force could advance on strategic positions with relative impunity from arrows and other light missiles.

The only way to force a mobile force to fight is to threaten some fixed strategic position that the mobile force has little choice but defend.

Sort of Hussite tactics of using war carts, but without the horses: The structures would have to be fairly light but just sturdy enough to stop arrows and easy enough for a small group of soldiers to push as they advance.

NOTE: Mentioned some of these ideas in an earlier post but added in the overhead protection sort of like anti-arrow umbrellas/shields ..... I can imagine smaller lighter hand carried versions very much like arrow proof beach umbrellas with four carry poles near the rim and up to huge mobile forts on wheels sheltering men at ground level with an open structure and with a second story for missile troops. The hand carried ones could be supported by 4 and be wide enough to shelter 8 to a dozen and be much more usable on less flat terrain.

If the people holding these went to their knees the roof of the shelter plus the hand shields carried by the soldiers under the roof would form something akin to the Roman " turtle " formation. Oh, and the weight of the overhead shield would be supported by the four corner poles when in the down position and it would also be a rest position.

Protection from the hot sun can also be valuable if an army has to hold a position for a long time as a bonus. ;) :D
The use of pavises and foot archers against mobile horse-archers has been tried before in Japan--in fact, the pavise-protected archery line was arguably the most common and most important tactical infantry formation in Japan between the 10th and the 15th centuries or so. As always, the opponents were not slow to develop countermeasures. There's some evidence that the horses of the samurai were trained to jump and topple the pavises in order to open a gap that could then be exploited. Also, samurai cavalry formations may not have been "cavalry" as we understand it; it apparently depended heavily upon close support by an accompanying body of mixed infantry, which could have come in handy in breaking through the enemy's pavise-line to let the horsemen through.

Javelinmen with large shields could also be an effective counter to archers and crossbowmen in a cavalry-poor campaign. One of the tribes in southern China (or just south of China) used this method to stymie a Chinese expeditionary force; their shields protected them against Chinese arrows and crossbowmen while their javelins allowed them to repel Chinese close-combat troops at a shorter range without coming into hand-to-hand contact. The Chinese eventually solved the problem with a flank march.
Ryan S. wrote:
Ryan S. wrote:
I think for the longest time getting cavalry to charge in tight formation was hard, and I don't know how feudal armies where they did not train together would be able to do it.

But they did train together! Read Verbruggen's The Art of War in Europe During the Middle Ages for heaps and heaps of examples about medieval men-at-arms drilling in formation on horseback. Obviously, not all men-at-arms had such a high standard of drill and discipline, but there were enough who did to give the lie to the idea that medieval knights were undrilled individual fighters.

You don't happen to know what formation(s) they trained in? I would think they would not be able to train in large groups, because they weren't standing armies.

The one thing we know for certain is that practices varied throughout the temporal and geographical breadth of the Middle Ages. In some places and times the king or lord was powerful (or respected enough) to enact legislations requiring his vassals to muster at specific times of the year and engage in large-scale training games even if the kingdom/county/principality wasn't at war. Elsewhere there were no larger structures to force men-at-arms to train together beyond the custom of meeting up from time to time with other knights from the local district/neighbourhood and practicing small-scale troop manoeuvres and games.

It should be remembered, however, that most medieval forces were not large armies but rather small flying columns numbering in the hundreds or dozens and operating primarily in the fashion of short-range raids or local defence actions. The leaders of the individual troops in these forces would probably have known each other personally in peacetime by virtue of coming from the same social class and geographical area, so they probably wouldn't have had a hard time convening a council of war between themselves and electing a temporary leader for the purposes of the campaign at hand.

In larger armies, of course, the issue would have been more complicated, and ad hoc command arrangements would have had to be improvised at the beginning of each campaign in order to group the many contingents into a smaller and more manageable number of subdivisions. If the campaign lasted long enough, one could expect the semi-spontaneous development of command and organisational arrangements that would allow the army to operate somewhat more efficiently; as the Middle Ages progressed and larger companies became more permanents (or at least contracted for longer periods), these arrangements formed the nucleus of organisational practices that later became formalised in such institutions as the French and Burgundian Ordinances.

Smarter commanders--especially in the earlier centuries--would have realised that they should develop plans that could be carried out by the various subdivisions with minimal or no supervision once the battle was joined. Usually this meant that most of the army was intended to engage the enemy frontally, but it did not close the door to such subtleties as flanking movements by a reserve force (sometimes personally led by the commander in chief) or feigned flights.

Another important fact is that the problems associated with a lack of training in large-scale manoeuvres was not restricted to mediaeval armies. Austrian cavalry as late as the Napoleonic Wars were known as splendid fighters on a squadron-per-squadron basis but performed inefficiently in massive cavalry engagements involving brigade-sized or larger forces. As it turned out, they--like many contemporary forces--had rarely or never performed manoeuvres and exercises at anything above regimental level, so there was always a serious risk of confusion whenever multiple regiments had to work and fight together as part of a larger unit. Napoleon's Grande Armee proved to be such a steamroller when it was unleashed in 1806 because the entire army had had the privilege of training together in very large-scale exercises originally intended to prepare them for an invasion of England.

and lets not forget the famous line by he french a Waterloo about the British cavalry

calling them "the best in the world, but the worst led"
as evidenced when the British cavalry charged the french at Waterloo, did severe damage and took a couple of imperial eagles. but then became badly strung out and when the french counter-charged them with the polish lancers, the British were torn to shreds.
it seems they had less discipline and general unit cohesion, being, apparently more prone, in the popular mind anyway to wild, all out charges as opposed to the more disciplined maneuvers of riding knee to knee, and only breaking into a gallop at the end of the charge...
Since this is sort of an Alternate Universe " what if " discussion about what would happen if horses where never domesticated and used for cavalry and that the Topic sort of broadened into tactical formations and combined weapons etc .... maybe I can add an idea that could take the place of cavalry assuming that technology would have advanced in ways to compensate.

Avoiding getting " too modern " and jumping to the invention of motor vehicles, steam engines etc .... and staying with muscle power only I would suggest that the invention of the bicycle would open up interesting possibilities.

A) Bicycle troops would have mobility and speed and this would have strategic and tactical uses of getting troops to distant locations faster, and useful for the cavalry functions of scouting and reconnaissance.

B) Fighting troops on bicycles could also be the equivalent of mounted infantry dragoons, getting off their bikes to fight.

C) The one person bicycle would be difficult if not impossible to fight from although maybe a crossbow could be fixed to the handle bars and aimed with the bike ? Reloading might be awkward but if the crossbow had an integral cocking lever it might be practical. The crossbow could have a quick detach system to use it when on foot.

D) Tandem bikes could have two sets of pedal and the rear rider could handle a " horse bow " in this case a " bike bow ". ;) :lol:

E) Larger pedaled contraptions could function in a way similar to a chariot with a number of bikes serving the function of horses pulling a fighting platform.

Anyway, I think you get the point and with imagination and some good engineering a variety of pedaled vehicles of various scales could be conceived and built by a culture with enough industrial capacity to make precision gears and other complex parts: What if the Romans or the Chinese had invented the bicycle 2000 years ago, these bikes might even have been useful in addition to having horses ? ;) :D
what about maybe human pulled chariots? or even things like leonardo da vincis tank which was supposed to be powered byy human muscle alone.. just replace the cannons with ballistae crossbows bows and javelins.

also imagine that the mesoamericans had learned to make more modern rubber and other materials, thus opening the way for the moden style of slingshot. which has he advantage of being able to shoot from confined spaces,

but i think that realistically mesoamerican and incan wafare styles is the best way of looking at it.

also its worth remembering the chariots of the sumerians and sea peoples were pulled by oxen if the wall art is to be believed.

is the domestication of oxen pigs dogs alpacas etc as animals to pull loads also out of the question?

because then we have another scenario entirely if they arnt ruled out
Dogs are combat useable animals for pulling. Sheep and goat are of similar size and can be used for transports on the march(Do the Nordic Gods have the copyright for this idea?). Horses can be used as maneuverable combat animals with good endurance, cattle (dominant cavalry form in Sub-Saharan Africa), camels and dromedary have been breed for riding in many countries, but didn't achive the same maneuverability, although being much cheaper to maintain. Donkeys are ill suited for strange dangerous environments, but good transports. Elephants are a tad expensive and can get dangerous, I have no idea why anyone tried to combine them with infantry. The Inca could possibly use the Lama for pulling chariots.
As for humans, they need fodder and are quite dangerous, the number of humans who need to be fed and are less dangerous because they just pull some vehicle reduces combat efficiency for no speed gain over light infantry and is no recipe for victory.
This leaves us with versatile light infantry and the Chinese wheelbarrow with sails as best applications to cope with speed in a horseless world. Combining two wheelbarrows into a bike on occassion can speed up overland transport and could even create a faster than running transport for a large group of kickboarding humans. This group of kickborders will be similar to war waggons used in East-Central and Eastern Europe.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Page 4 of 4

Jump to: