Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 73, 74, 75  Next

Chris Artman wrote:
Brian,

I have a Kingmaker, it was my very first sword last year. Your finish looks amazing... It has a lot more character and looks stunning. I have the oxblood grip and wouldn't mind having a similar process done. I also have tons of antique coins from outfit4events (where by the sword gets them from) which could be used to put in the pommel recess... Is this something you did yourself?

Thanks Chris. I had Albion "Antique" the hilt. I will have to check out outfit4events for some recess inserts, thank you.
An old AT rides again
Picked up an old AT saber blade awhile back from a forum member. This one dates from when Gus used to mark his blades and has a tang end that is threaded but differently than what he now does. The old hilt was loose and was a throw-away so I stripped it off. The blade has an interesting complex geometry with enlarged false edge. I matched the blade with an old Hanwei basket and a new handle and pommel and gave the blade a new polish this weekend. Has a nice balance and is quite fencible and lively. :cool:

I picked up Windlass' Norwegian Viking when they had it on their "Deal of the Day". I was hesitant about buying directly from MRL (I usually do from KoA), but figured the return policy was good enough, and $130 was too good to pass up. It handles pretty well after I trimmed down the grip (it was pretty massive, far too big for my hands), but I'm still getting used to the weight, as the my other is the Sword of Auray, which is almost the other end of the spectrum in Medieval blade design.

Attachment: 68.2 KB
SmallVik.png
The rewrap, a little messy, but bold enough for the hilt.

Attachment: 88.92 KB
SmallVik3.png
Sorry for the washed out blade, the mirror finish really needs to go.
Brilliant Idea mixing the Spada da Zogho pommel with the Durer. It made me immediately jump to A&A's website and start looking around.

L.S. Lawrence wrote:
Jason you have a good eye. The Durer is the basis of the sword-- both the blade and the guard, and to this I added the scent stopper pommel of the #205 Spada da Zogho, and finally the rain chape.

Costs were indeed kept low, which was essential for me. But I also really like the simplicity of the finished work. Just some really nice lines on a very usable weapon.

Anyone with a few straightforward, easily executable, ideas like that in mind who can't justify US$4-6k for a European smith would do well to give A&A a call.
Jason Elrod wrote:
Brilliant Idea mixing the Spada da Zogho pommel with the Durer. It made me immediately jump to A&A's website and start looking around.

Frankly, I've always thought that the mix-and-match concept is one of A&A's huge strong points. That and the fact that each piece is essentially hand-tuned and made one at a time allow for individual variations and differences from sword to sword. A sword can be created with existing parts and simple customizations to create a finished product that is both one-of-a-kind and relatively inexpensive! This is a great combination to us consumers and something that is relatively unique to A&A.
Most recently, my OlliN Sword Hussar Saber ...

my "new" cutlass
I´m a great fan of curved, single-edged weapons, ant some time ago started collecting originals.

Here is my last one, a Dutch colonial police cutlass, the "Hembrug sabre.

Attachment: 45.72 KB
hembrug1.jpg

Attachment: 49.83 KB
hembrug2.jpg

Attachment: 61.66 KB
hembrug3.jpg

Attachment: 54.88 KB
hembrug4.jpg

Brian K. wrote:
Thank you Patrick. I've had mixed emotions about it since arrival. It's such a unique look that it looks like a different sword than the pictures you see on Albion's website, it makes me want to have two versions of the sword now. As much as I like this version, I'm also wanting something all shiny & new in appearance.

The nice thing about the blued finish is that it can be polished out should you want to have it be a more common satin finish.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Brian K. wrote:
Thank you Patrick. I've had mixed emotions about it since arrival. It's such a unique look that it looks like a different sword than the pictures you see on Albion's website, it makes me want to have two versions of the sword now. As much as I like this version, I'm also wanting something all shiny & new in appearance.

The nice thing about the blued finish is that it can be polished out should you want to have it be a more common satin finish.

Unfortunately it wasn't the "blued" finished, but a requested "antiqued" finish. Hence there are scratches & nicks in the finish of the guard and pommel. At least that is how mine came out.
Brian K. wrote:
Unfortunately it wasn't the "blued" finished, but a requested "antiqued" finish. Hence there are scratches & nicks in the finish of the guard and pommel. At least that is how mine came out.

The actual metal is banged up and scratched and not just the finish? I didn't know they did that. Now I'm going to go check out their site...

Edit: I can't find any mention of the finishes on their site. Somebody point out where it talks about the options. I know it's there somewhere. I could have sword I've seen it before.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
Brian K. wrote:

The actual metal is banged up and scratched and not just the finish? I didn't know they did that. Now I'm going to go check out their site...

Edit: I can't find any mention of the finishes on their site. Somebody point out where it talks about the options. I know it's there somewhere. I could have sword I've seen it before.

I don't know if their website has it, but look in the catalog on page 58 under "aging".

Quote: "Albion swords are also available in an "aged" finish, simulating a sword that has seen years of service. This is a very individual process, and once aged the sword will no longer be exactly like any other sword of that model."
Greetings all,

I also took advantage of the Windlass clearance sale & picked up a “Norwegian.” This is one of their better offerings & for the price is a great deal & allowed me to experiment with a different scabbard design.

: re-formed cord wrapped grip
: removed the Windlass “mirror” finish
: wool lined poplar wood core scabbard
: baldric based on the Ballataere find

My most recent sword is: 1740's French Infantry Officers Hangar

Attachment: 58.22 KB
GetAttachment1.jpg

Attachment: 44.71 KB
GetAttachment2.jpg

Attachment: 40.8 KB
GetAttachment3.jpg

Attachment: 30.5 KB
GetAttachment5.jpg

Here are the latest editions to my collection of 18th century reproductions. The sword is an A&A loop hilt. I had them change out the standard pommel (which is more almond shaped with flattened sides) for a ball shaped pommel after several originals I liked.

The dagger was made by Ken Gahagan and is a copy of one listed in Neumann's Swords and Blades of the American Revolution. It is also shown in color on the cover of Neumann's Encyclopedia of the American Revolution.

Although I bought these pieces to fill individual interests, I have been amazed at how much they feel like they belong together. Perhaps it is the similarity in the blades (the only diamond shaped blades in my collection). At any rate, it has been an unexpected bonus of adding them to my collection.

Chris

Attachment: 31.95 KB
007B.jpg

I like both of those items. I had to look that dagger up in Neumann's Swords and Blades of the American Revolution. It must be 18.K on page 237 circa 1750 - 1790. The hilt makes it look like a miniature cuttoe.

I prefer that loop design on the smallsword over the more typical model.[/i]
Roger,

Thanks for your comments. Yep, 18k is the one it was copied from. It has been on my want list for several years, and am very pleased with Ken's craftsmanship with his version of this dagger. Aside from the ferrule, it is a pretty exact copy in appearance. But the real pleasure comes when you hold it in your hand. While so many reproductions are heavy and bulky, this piece captures the feel of an original. I could not be more pleased with it.

I used to prefer the more common form of the small sword... until I held this one. This has quickly become one of my favorite swords (next to my ElJay baskethilt, of course ;) ).
I actually had A&A recently craft an english loop hilt but had them add a loop on the opposite side as well for use in either hand. I'm not sure as to the true historical accuracy in doing that but the symmetry looks excellent and the balance remains superb. I'll need to upload a picture somewhere.
Nice loophilt and dagger Chris!!

Here is my most recent weapon. A late 18 cent. British smallsword:

Attachment: 31.74 KB
245633218_tp.jpg

Attachment: 39.77 KB
245633258_tp.jpg

Attachment: 25.44 KB
245633391_tp.jpg

Attachment: 26.37 KB
245633552_tp.jpg

I mostly lurk, but I think this is worth sharing, courtesy of Arms and Armor's recent sale:
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

There are a few more photos on flickr
Re: An old AT rides again
Thom R. wrote:
Picked up an old AT saber blade awhile back from a forum member. This one dates from when Gus used to mark his blades and has a tang end that is threaded but differently than what he now does. The old hilt was loose and was a throw-away so I stripped it off. The blade has an interesting complex geometry with enlarged false edge. I matched the blade with an old Hanwei basket and a new handle and pommel and gave the blade a new polish this weekend. Has a nice balance and is quite fencible and lively. :cool:

I'm happy to see that the basket got a good home! That's a weird/awesome weapon!
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 73, 74, 75  Next

Page 27 of 75

Jump to: