Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sixguns are nice, especially the larger ones.

Attachment: 52.47 KB
6guns.jpg

Allen W wrote:
So David, is that a pair of 4" 629s I see? I've always loved those.

Nope, of the two stainless 4-inchers, one is a Model 66 (.357 Magnum) and the other is a 625 "Mountain Gun" in .45 Colt.
Patrick Kelly wrote:
Here's one for you Dave.........

Colt Diamondback, .22lr
[ Linked Image ]

Verrrry nice! And rare as hen's teeth these days!
David Wilson wrote:
Allen W wrote:

Nope, of the two stainless 4-inchers, one is a Model 66 (.357 Magnum) and the other is a 625 "Mountain Gun" in .45 Colt.

David:

Do you load your own for your 625? With my own model 25 I get some really spectacular fireworks, even with an eight inch barrel. You could probably light up half a football field with your 4 inch.
David Wilson wrote:
Allen W wrote:

You're making me miss my Mountain Gun Dave. :D
Steve;

I have a 625 with a 3" barrel in .45 auto, but if you want fireworks I also have a 3" barrel model 29. At an indoor range you should see the dust rising from the floor at each shot. Oh, I wear Muffs AND earplugs when I shoot this one........ LOL.

( Just factory loads. )
I have a Ruger .357 magnum revolver. That one's fun to play with but it doesn't have very much kick. Then again I'm the person who won't touch 12 gauge shotguns because they hurt too much.
Quote:
Verrrry nice! And rare as hen's teeth these days!

Thanks!

I found this one last summer in a local shop for a very nice price. Needless to say, I didn't hesitate. :D
Steve Fabert wrote:

Do you load your own for your 625? With my own model 25 I get some really spectacular fireworks, even with an eight inch barrel. You could probably light up half a football field with your 4 inch.

Nope, I don't "roll my own". I've stuck with factory stuff, which is pretty much "powder-puff" level for the most part. Especially the cheap "cowboy" ammo, makes the .45 a real pussycat to shoot...
Michael G. Myers wrote:
Hi David,

A great group shot. 'Looks like all the bases are covered!

I know I've gone soft in the head when I pass by a GREAT collection of modern Smiths and the Colt is marvelous, but would you have a closer shot of the 1917? Are those 'white ash' wood?

Mike

edited for conciseness

Sorry, I don't have a close up of the 1917 yet. I actually got it as a "project" gun -- it had been converted to .45 Colt from .45 ACP, so I planned on converting back -- until I shot it. Whoever did the conversion knew what he was doing, it's pretty darn accurate despite the old-timey fixed sights. I still might get a spare cylinder in .45 ACP for it anyway, though.
The grips are chintzy white plastic made to look like mother-of-pearl. Yeah, I know, old-school pimp. And uncomfortable as heck when shooting. As soon as I get around to it I'll hunt down some wood military-style grips with a proper-length retaining screw.
Anyhow, not too shabby for a $200 project gun....
You will probably be happier leaving your 1917 as a 45 Colt. I recall that a standard 1917 that I owned years ago was fairly useless with 45 ACP, so I sold it. The 1917 Colt did not replace the barrel to match the 45 ACP cartridge. So using 45 ACP ammo gives you a bullet that sort of rattles down a slightly oversized barrel. 45 Colt bullets fit the bore, and should hit the target a lot more often.
David Wilson wrote:

Sorry, I don't have a close up of the 1917 yet. I actually got it as a "project" gun -- it had been converted to .45 Colt from .45 ACP, so I planned on converting back -- until I shot it. Whoever did the conversion knew what he was doing, it's pretty darn accurate despite the old-timey fixed sights. I still might get a spare cylinder in .45 ACP for it anyway, though.
The grips are chintzy white plastic made to look like mother-of-pearl. Yeah, I know, old-school pimp. And uncomfortable as heck when shooting. As soon as I get around to it I'll hunt down some wood military-style grips with a proper-length retaining screw.
Anyhow, not too shabby for a $200 project gun....

Thanks, David. 'Not a big deal, I simply like to see the S&W 1917 get all the publicity it deserves. And, I had asked about the service grips because they honestly looked to me like some nice looking aftermarket grips in "white ash" that are currently being offered for the N-frame size. If they had been those grips, I was curious as to fit and finish. I recently shelved some boot grips on a K-frame, and have gone back to service grips and a Tyler. I've been casting about for some suitable, non-S&W service style grips ("stocks" for the S&W purists) that suited my tastes. Oh, and that were reasonablably priced, btw. For a minute there, I though I'd finally found someone who had given them a try.

As far as being a "not to shabby" deal, I'd agree. The days of the $200 mechanically sound, 80% S&W 1917 have, for the most part, come and gone. With the speculator/collector mini-boom growing stronger for pre-safety lock, classic S&W revolvers, even the wood service grips in tolerable condition are bringing prices that would have been considered mildly outrageous only a decade ago. Numrich used to have the old 1917 service stocks for something like $12 or $16 a pair in excellent condition--and this was only a relatively few years ago--but, it can turn into a genuine chore to even find a decent pair of such grips these days. The Numrich price was, in my circles at the time, thought a little high...hmmp.

Anyway, my congratulations and envy on corralling such a nice stable of S&W revolvers. You lean a little more to the bigger bores than I, but I certainly enjoyed seeing yours and Steve's group shots.

Yours,

Mike
(waiting for that day when someone says, "Well, Mike, what if I toss this old, short-barreled 38-44 Heavy Duty in on the trade to make up the difference...I know it's an old one, but I don't think my dad ever really fired it much. What'd ya say?)
Please excuse the horrible photo quality... it's been raining for days here, and I got tired of waiting to take the pictures outside before posting this, so here it is. Just a few Colts I have laying around here...

Gordon

Attachment: 40.05 KB
colt rondelle.jpg

We don need no stinkin' sunny skies!
Gordon, fantastic! Colt Rondelle, indeed!

Gordon, with your permission--and as the huge New Service frames pique my personal curiosity the most (my own is in .455, though)--I'll ask my other questions in email. Still, I wanted to ask about the 12 o'clock slot here in the forum.

While generalized, modern firearms talk would be a slippery slope I'd not care for on My Armory (being both redundant given the net's alternatives and ultimately self-defeating), more than a few members have expressed their preference for this general design. Your 12 o'clock appears a fine example of a genuinely seminal development in small arms. And, at the very least, it serves as an historic counterpoint to Jeremy's first post; as I, for one, have little difficulty imagining a WW l dough boy writing home about his new fangled self-loader and his working at improving his skills with same. From thumb-safety and half-cock to firing pin-safety and polymer frame, as it were. And, they both share a grip safety!

Now: flat mainspring-housing, long trigger, long spur, no forward cutouts on the frame (that I can make out), looks like proper wood, I think I see a lanyard ring...Gordon, would you share any history on this beauty? Is it a Colt's factory production, government armory at Springfield, other contractor? Any anecdotes on handling or firing?

I'm as guilty as the next guy of often using 1911 as general designator, when what I should really be saying is 1911A1. It's nice to be so gently reminded of the error upon viewing such a great collection.

Mike

edited: in fact any interesting bits of info or anecdotes of acquisition on any of these historic peices would be appreciated :)
Re: We don need no stinkin' sunny skies!
Michael G. Myers wrote:
Gordon, fantastic! Colt Rondelle, indeed!

Gordon, with your permission--and as the huge New Service frames pique my personal curiosity the most (my own is in .455, though)--I'll ask my other questions in email. Still, I wanted to ask about the 12 o'clock slot here in the forum.

While generalized, modern firearms talk would be a slippery slope I'd not care for on My Armory (being both redundant given the net's alternatives and ultimately self-defeating), more than a few members have expressed their preference for this general design. Your 12 o'clock appears a fine example of a genuinely seminal development in small arms. And, at the very least, it serves as an historic counterpoint to Jeremy's first post; as I, for one, have little difficulty imagining a WW l dough boy writing home about his new fangled self-loader and his working at improving his skills with same. From thumb-safety and half-cock to firing pin-safety and polymer frame, as it were. And, they both share a grip safety!

Now: flat mainspring-housing, long trigger, long spur, no forward cutouts on the frame (that I can make out), looks like proper wood, I think I see a lanyard ring...Gordon, would you share any history on this beauty? Is it a Colt's factory production, government armory at Springfield, other contractor? Any anecdotes on handling or firing?

I'm as guilty as the next guy of often using 1911 as general designator, when what I should really be saying is 1911A1. It's nice to be so gently reminded of the error upon viewing such a great collection.

Mike

Hey Mike, thanks for the kind words! I love my New Services too... the upper one is a 1917 in .45ACP, while the lower one WAS in .455 for the British Contract, but it was beautifully rechambered to .45 Colt. It was done well enough that I can still shoot .455's in it should I chose too, because they countersank the cylinder face for the rims, rather than just buzzing it off, so the .455's will be held by their larger rims. Good shooter, even if it looks like it was a Sea Service issue!

Per the 12 O'Clock item. You are dead on the money, it's a 1914-manufactured Colt Model of 1911. One of these days I'll track down where it was shipped to from the factory. I might be able to track down what outfit it was issued to then, but who knows. It was Arsenal reworked at some point, because it has an RIA stamp, but is still blued. Otherwise it's still in top shape. I bought it when I was 17 (a while back!) and it's been a favorite of mine ever since. I really love that gun! For a while I had a Springfield of similar vint, but it was a parts gun, and a friend of mine whined for long enough at me that I finally let him trade it off of me in a moment of weakness. Grey gun, but still a serious shooter!

One thing I will point out too, is that all of the above items are pre-1920, with the exeption of the little Police Positive (1 O'Clock, with bone grips) which is from the 20's. I guess I'm not to into "modern" stuff, LOL!

Anyway, lots of fun stories to go with each of those pieces, if you have an interest.

Cheers!

Gordon
Re: That "other" type of arms.
Wow.... That is interesting Jeremy, It sure looks like an amalgamation of a Sig and a Glock, plus a little 1911 flavour thrown in... interesting.
Much thanks, Gordon. It really is a great collection.

And thank you, Jeremy, for kicking off this thread and sharing your new find!

Mike
I like them 1911's...and the black powder's one with a R&D .45 Long Colt conversion cylinder

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
Ben Sweet wrote:
I like them 1911's...

[ Linked Image ]

I just picked up one of those Springfield WWII-style 1911's myself (the grips on mine lack the "U.S." stamp) .... haven't shot it yet though.....
Well, I've been thinking of becoming a first time gun owner.

Kind of going through a phase where I don't know if I want to make the leap or not.

I'm in a very gun unfriendly state, and well...
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: