Go to page Previous  1, 2

Brain bucket
You might try looking through the stuff Wulflund has. No promises, but they're pretty solid and will take a mail aventail. Some are more fantastical than others. They will be over 200, but likely not ad much as some of the other names that are producing the ones that are very accurate historical representations. Sort of a compromise.
Matthew Bunker wrote:
Gregory J. Liebau wrote:
The practice was used throughout the Roman period

Integrated liners?

My apologies – I suppose there is very little evidence to suggest anything was integrated into most Republican or early imperial Roman helmets. I had in mind some of the late Roman ridge helmets and Ostrogothic spangens, which have holes all of the way around the circumference of the bowls. I suspect this would not have been for attaching a camail (which would probably not cover the face), but that the holes were for liners of some sort.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Re: Gjermundbu helmet
Matthew Bunker wrote:
Robin Smith wrote:

So what would the purpose of the holes along the bottom side of many examples be for, unless to sew in a liner?

Sorry Robin, within an early (ie pre 12th century) medeieval context, which ones are you referring to?
A small number of the 5th/6th century 'Gothic' spangenshelms have some holes around the rim but the total absence of any textile remains plus the wear patterns on some of the holes suggests something suspended (either mail or some other form of neck and/or cheek protection) rather than an integrated liner.

(Sorry if my spelling is off)
The Olomuoc, the Orchowoski helm, the Ostrow Lednecki, etc... Many examples of the so-called "nasal helm" have hole patterns that run completely around the circumference, butting right up against the nasal. Any suspension would obstruct the eyes, so a camail seems unlikely. Furthermore it doesn't seem to me that one can demand textile remains to survive in the holes, but not demanding the same for the proposed "fitted cap".

Here is an imgur album with several examples:
http://imgur.com/a/WwPZF

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

Now granted, some of these may but right against your cut off line of 12th C, owing to the difficulty in dating single piece raised nasal helms. By the time the common "nasal helm" came into use (11th-12th C), fuller hauberks with integrated ventails seem to replace any suspended camails, but clearly something is still being attached to the helms.
Re: Gjermundbu helmet
Matthew Bunker wrote:
Dan Howard wrote:

Note that if Jeffrey's replica is completed with a chinstrap and liner, that the price approaches $1000 CDN. This is what you should expect to pay for a decent helmet replica.

I don't think that there's any evidence that early medieval helmets were fitted with chinstraps or integrated liners?

With a properly fitting separate padded cap (for which, admittedly, there is an equal lack of evidence from the period), neither is necessary.

I, too, consider the Gjermundbu helmet complete without an integral lining.
Well this is quite a late reply, but for anyone looking for a reproduction of the gjermundbu helmet that is reasonably accurate and affordable you might want to take a look at these: http://www.marchand-medieval.com/medieval/lan...ik-67.html, http://truehistoryshop.com/shop/helmet-from-gjermundby-farm/
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: