Go to page Previous  1, 2

well since it were only rally thin broomsticks that were used the hits weren't really that hard, nor did they break. Had we used the balsa tipped lances commonly used in jousts and had the groundcrew pulled those horses a bit faster i'm definatly sure we would have shattered atleast one of them! :D the fun thing is i jousted against all the children who were there as well (offcourse i just stayed on my place like an immovable object,specifically not aiming at the children). the little buggers absolutly loved it!
Well I just found some new evidence of Jousting on foot in actual war, specifically the late 14th century... A Battle near Cherbourg (1379)-- here is the excerpt;

Quote:

When the two knights had heard the news from their light troops, they each drew up their forces with great wisdom, and ordered their pennons to be displayed. The English foot were intermixed with their men at arms. As soon as they were within bow-shot, the French dismounted; so did likewise the English: then the archers and cross-bowmen began to shoot sharply, and the men at arms to advance with their lances before them in close order. The armies met, and blows with spears and battle-axes began to fly about on all sides, The battle was hardly fought, and one might there have seen men at arms make trial of their prowess.

Here is the link-- http://www.nipissingu.ca/department/history/m...erbour.htm

any thoughts on this?
Lance is frequently used interchangeably with spear in period, they probably just fought with spears.
Michael Curl wrote:
Lance is frequently used interchangeably with spear in period, they probably just fought with spears.

Mentioned it before in another Topic thread but in French there is only one word for spear or lance and it's " LANCE " with a French accent
I think "jousting" has a very specific meaning related to sport combat (even if unto death).

A massed lance charge in battle, on horseback or afoot, would be something else altogether.
That is very true - the meaning of a joust is a sport, a lance charge in warfare.. do you know what you would call that "something else" Chad?

Since the Joust had several concepts behind it, and one of those concepts was to train and stay in shape for war (unless I am mistaken) ----This is my ultimate search I believe, and I have wondered this very topic. But for some reason never inquired until your post.
Christopher VaughnStrever wrote:
That is very true - the meaning of a joust is a sport, a lance charge in warfare.. do you know what you would call that "something else" Chad?

A charge with lances or some other simple, easy-to-understand term. :)
Hi all,

I don't even think the battle account is necessarily a charge. It only says they advanced. The "push of lance" we read of in the friendly context is one where they run to each other.

BTW, we've done these "Justes a pied" here - they're a blast. I will say there's one odd quality to them: to the observer they've got a faintly 'silly' quality to them (just start hearing the Monty Python coconuts...), but if you're taking part, you quickly realize this requires some intestinal fortitude to do, even with lots of armour and relatively safe lances/spears.

Cheers,

CHT
Thats what I quickly realized once I had my armor on and holding a lance.

Christian is right on key there, just imagine you get struck while on a horse, you have something (the horse) to give some stability to yourself. But imagine getting hit with a lance on foot... while not fast paced the impact is all on you and... well I guess its not so long of a fall to the ground as from a horse. But on foot seems like a lot more danger is at hand.
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Michael Curl wrote:

Mentioned it before in another Topic thread but in French there is only one word for spear or lance and it's " LANCE " with a French accent

Hmmm, first semester of french, would that be lanK? (I'm trying to type the hard c.)
Michael Curl wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Michael Curl wrote:

Hmmm, first semester of french, would that be lanK? (I'm trying to type the hard c.)

If you mean hard " C " like in Canada/Kanada that would be NO, so it's probably what you would call a soft " c " that can sound in French identical as if it was spelled with an " s " pronounced as an " s " also in French.

Actually fairly close to what it sound in English with the " A " getting more emphasis than the " N " in the Lance part.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: