Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Nathan Robinson wrote:
So the question is: are the swords that were sold at Kult of Athena on discount actually factory seconds or what?

If mine was it's held up amazingly. Probably this is something only affecting the threaded versions.
Sorry, is there a non-threaded version of the tinker hanwei line?
Nathan Robinson wrote:
So the question is: are the swords that were sold at Kult of Athena on discount actually factory seconds or what?

I would like to know the answer to that, too.

I was not aware of a "factory second sale" at Hanwei, but I don't frequent their website. Does anyone in the know recall what the specific reasons were (if any were given) for certain items being sold as such?

Thread breakage was an issue with certain early models, diagnosed (if I recall correctly) by Tinker as being improperly heat-treated tangs. He posted a preemptive remedy on his website for this, for those not inclined to return to vender. I wonder if we are seeing the same, or a second batch, of blades with that zone again being in need of proper annealing?
This is, of course, purely speculative - don't anybody mistake me for an authority on this.

Craig, per your question: I believe the Viking and Norman models are peened (both sharps and blunts). All the long-gripped and the single-hand type XII ("Early Medieval..." I think it is called) use the threaded system.
My understanding is the recent Hanwei sale across the board on Hanwei/Tinkers was to make room for new inventory; it wasn't advertised as factory seconds in any way and as far as I know they were all normal H/T swords with the primary issues being their finish and edges.

I think the main causes of this problem are twofold:

Firstly, the type of fighting they're being used for-- metal on metal, edge parrying. This means that the blades are receiving more shocks than a sharp blade which goes *through* its targets.

Secondly, the way the blades are made to be interchangeable with sharps. That's one of Hanwei's favorite selling points-- that you can switch out sharp and blunt blades, and be accustomed to using the same setup (you see it with their rapiers also) while economizing by buying only another blade, not a full sword.

If I could change how it was set up I'd make it so the training versions were peened. They can do it with their Viking and Norman, why not the rest...
Greg Heim wrote:
Let me know if you need some diagrams to show you what I mean by "hole and pin" weld.

Yes, please. I think I know what you mean but I'm going to have to explain this all to a metalworker at some point (I don't do any metalwork myself except for weaving maille).

Of course I will be contacting KoA as well. The reason I bought from them is because their reputation for excellent customer service. And I'll be sure to ask them (or have them ask CAS/Hanwei) if they were factory seconds with tangs that may have been heat treated to be too hard and brittle.

J R Johnson wrote:
I would be interested to know what you were striking with the edges of your swords to cause such damage to the edge.

Other swords. All-steel bucklers. Helmets. People in armour. From your advice I gather that you may have thought my pictures were of the sharp versions. They are from the blunt versions after some 8 weeks of serious MS-I33 training and a couple of reenactment weekends.
Hello all,

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree about the peened tangs. These are entry-level training swords, and as such, one of the selling points is indeed the ability to swap out a new blade when it gets chewed up. It's far more economical than replacing the entire sword - how many times have you had to replace a pommel? If you have an issue with rattle or loosening, a leather washer at each end of the grip and some loctite work wonders to cure both problems.

In fact, myself and several other groups use these almost exclusively, and without problem. Equipment wears out, and is not an issue, particularly not at this price point. We have at least 20 of the Tinker blunts in use, with another 10 of the arming swords - all perform splendidly. Yes, regular maintenance is required (filing, cleaning, etc.) but this is also the case with any other sports or martial arts equipment.

As to the comment that it's due to the type of fighting being done (forgive me, I didn't quote the poster and as such don't recall who said it...) with blade on blade contact versus soft targets - may I ask what type of swordfighting takes place without blade contact?

The tang breakage *is* an issue if it is recurring and a result of poor QC. Talk to KoA and see what they have to say about the issue.

Regards,
Sander, thanks for clearing that up. Yes, you're right, I wasn't sure if you were using sharps as it's difficult to tell for sure from the photos. I was, however, reluctant to believe that you were using sharp swords for sparring. I don't think the problem is fundamentally with the threaded tangs. My personal experience with the threaded offerings from H/T, as stated, has been positive, although I have both the H/T "Norman" and "9th Century Viking" swords, both of which are peened and I do prefer the peened examples. Perhaps a bad batch out of the Hanwei forge is the answer?
J R Johnson wrote:
Perhaps a bad batch out of the Hanwei forge is the answer?

Maybe...

I'll let you all know what KoA says about this. Especially considering that there's a 3rd identical sword in our WMA group that was ordered at the same time (so is probably from the same batch).

Last edited by Sander Marechal on Mon 02 May, 2011 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jason, if you're referring to my comments as to the targets I use for recreational cutting, I would respond that there would most likely be some unavoidable blade on blade contact during sword combat, however such contact would, or should, be minimal given the type of swords shown in the photos (single hander, type XII swords) as opposed to fechtbuch longsword style combat. With the single hander swords I would hope that a shield or buckler would be used for parrying, and not the sword.
The reason I asked if the swords in question were factory seconds or not is that there was a conclusion being drawn in this topic that raised the possibility. I think concluding such things without asking the question of the vendor and/or the manufacturer is highly inappropriate.

Edit: It's reasonable to fear that a conclusion will be drawn that the items mentioned in the original post of this topic were sold as mislabeled factory-seconds. Before making such claims, one has to determine facts.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
The reason I asked if the swords in question were factory seconds or not is that there was a conclusion being drawn in this topic that raised the possibility. I think concluding such things without asking the question of the vendor and/or the manufacturer is highly inappropriate.

Mr. Robinson; I concur and would note that Allen Stell, in his post, referenced a Hanwei "factory seconds sale". I would be interested in the details of alleged sale. I may very well have missed it, but as of this post I'm not aware of any Hanwei "factory seconds sale".

EDIT: There is, however, always the possibility of a "bad batch" of swords escaping the factory, as. for example, this same model when first released. A small run of these swords which were out of specs as to weight and balance were inadvertently released and recalled by Hanwei. Some were sold in the interim, and I in fact purchased one of these swords from KOA, who advertised that these swords were out of specs.
J R Johnson wrote:
Jason, if you're referring to my comments as to the targets I use for recreational cutting, I would respond that there would most likely be some unavoidable blade on blade contact during sword combat, however such contact would, or should, be minimal given the type of swords shown in the photos (single hander, type XII swords) as opposed to fechtbuch longsword style combat. With the single hander swords I would hope that a shield or buckler would be used for parrying, and not the sword.

Yes, thank you. I didn't remember quite what the context was of your post. Actually, most of the extant treatises do not use the buckler as a parrying weapon. This is my understanding of both the I.33 and the Bolognese material. I won't go out on a limb here, since neither of those systems are my in my sphere of specialty, however Fiore dei Liberi's sword in one hand material most definitely parries with the sword alone, as does Viggiani's system - although it's arguable that Fiore uses a longsword held in one hand.

I don't want to derail the thread further, my point was really that these have seen steady use for over a year in my group, without problems. I should mention that some of these were bought at the last KoA sale (we actually cleaned out their remaining stock, and had to wait until more came in - without the sale applying - so we split the resultant cost among everyone), and we have as yet had no problems, despite cutting and parrying vigorously with them. :)

Regards,
Every month Hanwei has a sale on assorted products. The sales are dealer-only, so not open to the general public and the items are typically overstock or out of production pieces, but there have been several that have been sold as factory seconds and others that were not labeled as such, but were clearly flawed. The fact that most H/T tinker sales that I see happen to coincide with H/T swords being part of a Hanwei sale and that the swords are often sold for below dealer cost leads me to the conclusion that either dealers are selling sale swords, or are fine with essentially paying their customers to take product off of their shelf
In reading of the issues over time, it appears the early examples were the ones having an issue. If there are no other outward differences visually from the first batch(es), there is really no way to isolate the good from bad that may yet be out there for sale.

As far as the sales, it was and has been not just the Hanwei/Tinker swords, so it could have been a surplus move overall. The Raptor katana sold quickly, the older (now updated) CAS Iberia clunkers were also part of one of these large sales.

As to feedback, Hanwei had an email addy or two in the olden days and I had conversed with Paul himself re the Godfred swords (mine in particular). I was also in contact with CAS, as the American distributor and the communication via email superb. Tuscany Trading was long gone by the time my sword failed but was a chain of command as it were for any to follow. Both KOA representatives (husband and wife) and Blake Pogue of Hanwei/CAS have been on some of the boards to field some issues but direct contact with any seems to be an easy start. Heck, pick up the phone and call them.

Cheers

GC

Last edited by Glen A Cleeton on Mon 02 May, 2011 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Issues with tang
Hi all

First - sorry to hear you had some problems, Sander, and hope that gets resolved for you.

We bought a bunch of the Tinker Hanwei longsword blunts and they get a jolly good work-out, including playing with a Peter Lyon sword my instructor has. They have held up well and have even been used for throws and pommel strikes. Sure, they have worn a little but a file/diamond stone, some armor polish and away we go again.

We got them thru Ryan at KoA and even down here in the antipodes, he has been great with any issues (not that we have had any with these swords).

I have a one handed Tinker blunt that has had a little use for I.33 practice and that seems OK as well.

Biggest issue we have had is some wear on the allen nut from tightening.

cheers

mike
Eric, did you talk to KOA yet?
I've nothing but great experiences from them so I expect they'll treat you good.
Hey Guys,

To date no one has contacted us regarding this issue, we had to find out about it by accident. The accusation that we knowingly sell factory seconds as new, is extremely insulting to me personally. I realize this was stated as a question rather than a fact, but the damaging impact is the same.

To misrepresent a product we are offering would go against everything I stand for. I run this business with a sense of honor and integrity, as many of our customers can attest. We reject many items that other dealers would, and do, routinely, sell as new. Those items are discounted further and sold as dent & scratch or blemished items. All of those items come to us as new from their respective suppliers. If we are willing to hold these products to higher standards then even the manufacturers do in many cases, and discount what we feel does not live up to that standard to the break even point, what possible motivation would we have to purposely take defective merchandise and lie about it? Considering how much product was sold during those sales, believe me, if it were defective, you would know about it. There would be hundreds of customers all over the world complaining about it. I am not a criminal or an idiot as I would have to be to assume I could sell defective merchandise as new, so I resent the implication that I am either or both.

Here are the facts. Hanwei does not offer factory seconds to dealers. In over a decade of purchasing from CAS/Hanwei we have never been offered any factory second items. Their official policy it to send those items back to the factory. Contact them directly if you wish to verify this. There was no Hanwei "factory second" sale. Again, this is just internet BS spouted off by people with no knowledge of the situation at hand. If Hanwei did decide to sell off rejected product during their resent sales they did so without making this known to any of their dealers. We sold a lot of product during those sales, inspected all of it and found very few issues. As always, anything we felt was less than standard was rejected. I do not know Hanwei's motivation for their sale. They very well may have been clearing out the older versions of some of these swords to make way for an improved update, but that, by no means, makes the older stock "defective".

Since starting this reply, the OP has emailed us, so I will deal with his issue privately.

If any of you have any further questions, feel free to contact me directly at the email on our website. I will be happy to discuss this with you.

Ryan Whittlinger
www.KultOfAthena.com
Ryan, thank you for taking the time to post in here.

Looking at my own participation in this topic might give the others an idea of why I was voicing concern and caution.

I'm shocked that the vendor (Ryan of Kult of Athena) was not first contacted about this issue. Further, I'm shocked that even the implication about the products being misrepresented was presented here. This is highly irresponsible behavior. This not only does a disservice to the vendor, but also affects our culture dramatically. When participating here, I encourage everybody to consider the health of the very market in which you guys participate.

To everyone: Never assume. Ask the vendor. Implications are not helpful to anyone. These are not hard concepts.
I wholeheartedly second what Ryan has to say. I am a repeat customer at Kult of Athena and the primary reason I do business with them is their professionalism and integrity, as well as courtesy. I will continue to do business with KOA for those reasons and because I have full confidence in their products. I have purchased my swords from Kult of Athena for several years and there has never been any doubt in my mind that KOA does not now sell, nor ever has sold, factory seconds.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
I'm shocked that the vendor (Ryan of Kult of Athena) was not first contacted about this issue.

I apologise for this. The reason for not contacting Kult of Athena immediately (and for creating this entire thread) was two fold. First, I wanted to make sure that it wasn't out own fault. I didn't want to accuse KoA of selling be a bad sword if we had been hitting too hard with them. Hence the pictures of edge damage in my first post. When one sword breaks it can be a manufacturing error. When two swords break it's time to look at how you're using them.

The second reason is that one of the swords isn't mine but was ordered roughly at the same time by someone from my WMA groupn after I recommended both the sword and Kult of Athena to him. I was waiting for this person to forward me his order information.

In my defense, I contacted KoA on the first business day after the swords broke.

I am terribly sorry if one of my posts could me misinterpreted as accusing KoA of anything. They have a fantastic reputation for customer service which is the exact reason I bought from them (and my experience with them has been as pleasurable as their reputation says). I have gone back over my posts in this thread and found one sentence that may have been confusing in this regard and edited it. My reason for starting this thread was because I didn't want to accuse KoA of anything prematurely.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Page 2 of 3

Jump to: