Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jonathan Hill wrote:
As stated they didn’t, but they did ‘come back into fashion’ over how much usage curved blades had been in use a few hundred years earlier. I think your better question is why did Europe eventually adopt a curved sword after so many years of using mostly strait blades?

Hi Jonathan Hill,

Maybe you are also overlooking that the predominance of intent and effort in supplying military swords for universal use was specifically heading toward straight blades while fielding both curved and straight for some centuries. Look back to my first post regarding ten 1934 Polish hussar sabres and Patton 1913 straight swords going right in to WWII. There was never finality there but if you look at the bulk of edged munitions from the early 19th century on, the scale was seriously tipped towards straight over curved. Most were straight late, period :lol:
Quote:

My opinion is definitely armor. Europe was fond of very heavy armor, when compared with what the rest of the world was using, cutting chain mail is pretty useless, and cutting plate armor is even more futile. By the time Europe moved to adopt the Sabre they had dropped the heavy armor, which makes cutting from horseback a much more viable option. The foot soldiers would adopt a blade that fit their style of fighting, but some preferred a more curvy (sometimes shorter) blade for use in close quarters of a tight fight.

There may be some truth in thinking the lack of heavy armour was the cause for curved blades but the melee scenario overall favors the curved sword. Keep in mind again that many forces in the 17th through the 19th century were fielding straight swords for massed charges and curved blades for foraging and melee. This is shown well in the first attachment I posted of a French influenced sabre next to a dragoon's straight pallasch. Those dragoons with pistols and carbines for melee with the long straight pallasch of centuries past still reigning through to the 20th century for massed charges. Take a look at the Winged Hussars article along with the one regarding the evolution to firearms amongst the cavalry/horsemen. The myArmoury featured article section is another great resource, even for later stuff than medieval interests.

Quote:

Here’s the article on infantry swords - http://swordforum.com/articles/ams/1776-1815britishinfantry.php

Why did they come in fashion for officers to use when directing the troops, because they just look cool.

I'm familiar with David's muses but keep in mind that sharp edges were meant to be used and many I have handled are/have been sharp at one time or another. More than looking cool, they were well suited to pointing to the other guys you want killed :lol: Some writer/officer regarded spadroons (the short straight jobs) as the perfect encumbrance. In my posts above are three sets of both straight and curved swords, all having been sharpened for use. OUt of the flock of my spadroons below, most have been sharp at one time or another except for the American NCO brass hilted one. Made in 1964 by Ames of Massachusetts, it probably never made it as far as any purposeful use by a sergeant of that era. Though, The Confederates did filed pikes at a time of short supply and perhaps due to the inability in reloading during close quarters.

Spontoons (half pikes) were another pointing, prodding, pushing device to direct infantry troops by the time of more powdered arms and heavy artillery.

Cheers

GC

Attachment: 99.24 KB
sprn10.jpg

I'm by no means an expert on this subject or era, but it interests me.

I don't think one can overlook other things going on in history and culture at the same time. According to some sources I have read, curved blades were already in use in Eastern Europe going back before the 12th century, but in some of these regions were replaced by the typical straight cruciform sword of the medieval era along with the spread of Western Catholic influence through cultural contact, and later miltary contact in the Northern Crusades.

Conversely, as the crussding era wained overall, and Knights were replaced by professional soldiers, I think this removed the pressure for European fighting men to carry swords that look like a crucifix. This may have opened the door to trying other types of sword, even curved swords that might have seemed un acceptably 'heathenish' in previous centuries. (Note this alone does not explain why they became so popular in later times).

On a different note - wouldn't it be rather risky to make a deep thrust from a moving horse, i.e., wouldn't the thruster run the risk of breaking his sword or having it wrenched from his hand while passing by? Is there some technique to avoid this from happening? I have often thought this must be a factor in real cavalry fighting, but have only seen one reference to this in my readings.
Glen A Cleeton wrote:

Hi Johan,

I am a bit puzzled by your post and the differences between truths and what becomes confused.

Hi Glen, I realise I'm new to some here and my sword collection so far has only one saber. But be nice ok?
I simply mixed up an earlier comment about the straight 1796 heavy saber for the curved 1796 Light one, not that hard a mistake to make now is it? I simply missed the "heavy" in the name. An honest mistake really and I'm officially blaming the Language barrier! ;)

You know, replying to something like that requires no lecture or links to beginner education. Just a simple clarification which sword was implied, straight heavy or light curved. IMO I was obviously referring to the 1796 Light Cavalry sabre since I mentioned time and again that it was curved, and that it was similar to a Tulwar.

Why I mistook the “unwieldy” comment as referring to the 1796 Light cavalry sabre was also explained, I've heard such comments frequently from rapier fencers I know, for just about any blade with some forward weight to it. Haven't you since you also collect sabers?

Glen A Cleeton wrote:

The two 1796 paterns being discussed previously in this thread are both British patterns and written of at length in the above linked article penned by Martin Read. Please do take a long read of that page for a good start in understanding more about history instead of Cold Steel and their poorly thought out ad copy.

Yes, I know. Missed the Heavy, thought the Light was referred to. Honest mistake and all that...

First off,
there wasn't anything in there I hadn't read already.

Second,
about Cold Steel. Now I'd much rather own an antique original any day if possible, but I also want blades for cutting training and some antiques are rather unsuitable for that so I also look for new ones that are sharps.
Anyhow, in what way is a saber reproduction that at least looks the same as the original poor? To me theirs look like the same basic model as the one in your photos, sans the blade decoration and lovely antique patina and add their typical modern design lines. I'm sure Cold steel swords have plenty of ahisotical faults, the viking sword for one has a nice blade but the pommel is just weird and the crossgurard has 19th century romantics celtic knotwork on it. If I bought that one I'd have to re-hilt it properly to not be an eye sore. That wasn't what I was referring to, but more how the 1796 LC cut and thrust, handling characteristics not being the way of a glorified club as some had stated ( although, once again, for the heavy 1796 sabre I mistook to mean the very similarly named light 1796 sabre ;) ).
My estimate of the Cold steel version of the saber didn't extend to anything more than that. Sorry if I was unclear on this. Again, language barrier... I'm from Sweden, this isn't my native tongue.

Regardless, I think you're being unfair to them, because just this once they seem to have gotten most of it decently right.
[ Linked Image ]
This is what their 1796 Light Cavalry sabre looks like. Cuts like a dream and thrusts pretty decently it seems. I'm sure there are some inconsistencies in there but are they so great as to render it utterly and completely off the mark?

Third,
the Tulwars I've handled, as well as the light cavalry saber had the same blade curve, geometry and balance. One of the Tulwars had the same tip. Coincidence? Certainly late Indian blades would have had influence from the west, but this would have worked both ways as these things tend to do. Regardless whichever was first, the hen or the egg, I don't think you can possibly be so sure about it's origin as to say I need to learn more history for suggesting it. ;)
Have you seen tulwars, aka Talwars? The ones I've seen and held have either had the same blade type as the 1796 LC sabre, or a more pointy tip.
19th century Tulwars were often europeean sabers re-hilted with indian fittings, so hen or egg, or a bit of both?

Or to be more precise, here’s a link to Wikipedia about Tulwars. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulwar

Let me quote: “The blade profile of the British Pattern 1796 light cavalry sabre is similar to some examples of the Indian talwar, and expert opinion has suggested that the Indian sword may have contributed to the design of the British sabre.”

So according to wiki, expert opinion suggests...
Yes, I know things written o Wiki is to be taken as what it is, popular history and culture, and not rule of law. But it usually has some grain of truth to it or it gets edited off there pretty fast.

How about this then. The East Indian Trading Company had a military presence in India since at least 1670 sanctioned by the British Crown (as in basically regular army units under private leadership), its' officers would have seen, fought and possibly even wielded Tulwars on occasion for over 100 years by the time the 1796 Light Cavalry sabre came to be.
And yet you say...

Glen A Cleeton wrote:

The British 1796 light cavalry sabre is absolutely not based on the Indian Tulwar

Still super duper ultra Godzilla destroying Tokyo sure about that? ;)
Then I'll add that the Turkish Kijil, akak the "mameluke" also related to the Tulwar in shape and function as well as cultural exchange, became a regulation pattern for British general officers In 1831 and is still in use today. If it happened then, why couldn't possibly similar influences have happened earlier?

Glen A Cleeton wrote:

American use of the British patterns went hand in hand with both the 1796 British LC sabre and the straight British 1796 heavy.

Yes, I know.

Glen A Cleeton wrote:

However, there were contemporary contracts by makers such as Rose and Starr that grew in American arms use. I do have a couple photo examples I can share of both an Americanized sabre and the straight heavy blade but picking up a couple of books regarding American sword growth and use may be of great benefit to you. Peterson's American Sword, 1775 to 1945 is still considered a good basic bible you can pick up inexpensively and while dated,

Have Read it. I agree it's dated but still nice. Reminds me I should re-read it again soon.

Glen A Cleeton wrote:

as is Neumann's Swords and Blades of the American Revolution are two great beginnings for not just American swords but those appearing from England and the European continent.

I think I've read that one too. If it's the book I'm thinking of it had these very nice smallswords actually used in battle which is otherwise uncommon since it's considered more of a civilian type.

Glen A Cleeton wrote:

Scandinavia as well fielded what is essentially the British 1796 LC as well.

I know, in Sweden one of them was called "Sabel m/1791 för husarregementet", translated it would be "M/1791 Husar regimental sabre" and predates the 1796 LC.
[ Linked Image ]
But there were several others. One was actually the same 1796 LC imported just re-named, I forget what M/ it has. M/1796 possibly or a few models later?

Glen A Cleeton wrote:

Anyway, those two types used in America but of British origin. Another great picture book and quite well cataloged is the Medicus Collection of swords used in America over a couple of centuries. That by the younger Stuart Mowbray and Norm Flayderman. www.manatarmsbooks.com/

That one I haven't read. Thanks, I'll look into it.

Glen A Cleeton wrote:

It is just sad to read the bad information repeated time and again without a thought about the real information just a click away.

Yes it is. Every time someone does that God kills a kitten. I’m not so sure I was the provider of said bad info though. Do you still think so? ;)
The following is a quote from Richard Dellar's "THE 1796 PATTERN LIGHT CAVALRY SWORD, Part One – Troopers’ Swords" from Classic Arms & Militaria Vol. XIV No.1 (which is available in the link I provided earlier in the thread):

Quote:
The origins of the 1796 are equally well-known. In 1795 a young major in the 16th Light Dragoons, John Gaspard Le Marchant, had just returned from service in the Flanders campaigns of 1794-5 where he had been impressed by the professionalism, horsemanship and skills of the foreign troops he had encountered, in particular the Austrians whose hussar heritage stretched back for more than a century and who at that time were regarded as the finest cavalry in Europe. By comparison the British cavalry looked ill-equipped and ill-trained. Le Marchant set about remedying that situation and the result was twofold : first, a new sword drill (Rules & Regulations for the Sword Exercise of the Cavalry, published by the War Office on 1 December 1796) and second, a new sword, the pattern 1796 light cavalry sabre. Le Marchant wanted a sword with a hilt stripped of all superfluous weight and a shorter blade (than the 36 in. blade of the then current 1788 pattern) in order to achieve better balance. Le Marchant wrote “Without a doubt the expertly used scimitar blades of the Turks, Mamelukes, Moors and Hungarians have proved that a light sword, if equally applicable to a cut or thrust, is preferable to any other”. Le Marchant’s comments are notable for the fact that he set out to design a sword that was equally able to cut or thrust. However, the end result, of course, was a sword that proved to be a supreme cutting weapon but which could only perform the thrust poorly if at all.
Hi Johan, I was puzzled about your post because it begins withe phrase

Sorry if I'm comign off a bit strong here, but the 1796 American Cavalry saber type happens to be one of my all time favorites.

You seemed to be clearly expressing the British 1796 as a favorite yet designate it as American not British. Much of the rest of my reply was offering both example of American use regarding the two patterns with an aside regarding what quite a few regard as far as good vs bad recanting of histories.

Cheers

GC
I recall reading once that there was a long stretch of Japanese history that was relatively peaceful compared to most, and during this era the Samurai's katanas became more of a status symbol than a weapon of war. Blades that were nearly straight became fashionable and were popular for their superior point control. Eventually the clan rivalries heated up again, and as Japan fell back into perpetual warfare it was discovered that these straight blades transmitted undue shock to the user when slashing armored opponents, and were quickly discarded in favor of the more traditional curved ones.
Johan – concerning the repo’s they may look good but they don’t feel right. The point of balance is off and considering the Cold Steel 1796 it is too heavy which makes it unruly and a greater potential for self injury. It may be ok for back yard cutting but you don't want to use it in a fight...Finding a decent military weight sabre that is useable in fencing/sparring/training is a problem at this point.

Glen – My comments about adopting the curved blade go back further. If you look at the average blade in use in Europe from 0-1600 the most predominate blade in use is strait. By records of the swords we see there is about a 90%-10% strait to curved-cutting blade ratio in Europe while in other parts of the world it is more like 60%-40%. By the 19th century we do have about the same ratio, and the argument over which is more dominate the cut or thrust had been going for a few hundred years.

So when considering the relative lack of use Europe had of a curved blade prior to the firearms it does seem like the sabre had a dramatic increase in popularity. This may have been because the church dictated cruciform swords or from the fact that curved cutting weapons were virtually useless against chain and heavier armor, but perfectly useful against lighter armor.

As for the modern era, the Sabre has a better lobby group, just like the Katana...

The hussar article was a nice read.
Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Hi Johan, I was puzzled about your post because it begins withe phrase

Sorry if I'm comign off a bit strong here, but the 1796 American Cavalry saber type happens to be one of my all time favorites.

You seemed to be clearly expressing the British 1796 as a favorite yet designate it as American not British. Much of the rest of my reply was offering both example of American use regarding the two patterns with an aside regarding what quite a few regard as far as good vs bad recanting of histories.

Cheers

GC

No problem. I was actually a bit peeved at first, but then I realised that's not how you meant it. That's why I had the ;) in my reply.

And you're more right than me anyway. ;)
There is no evidence of the Tulwar being the template for the 1796 Light Cavalry Sabre. In a roundabout way it could be the orgin of all one handed sabers from way back, but probably not directly what influenced the 1796 LCS.
But as quoted above there are evicence of a quote from John Le Marchant himself where his influences mainly came from: Turks, Mameluks, Moors and Hungarians. And regardless of similarities elsewhere, these also have plenty of it.

So, still being curious about this, I was looking into the history of the Tulwar and sure it's claimed to be as old as time itself, or in this case 4000 years old as it's mentioned in the Mahabharata. This was written 100 years or so after the Gilgamesh epos. The worlds' most famous sumerian, Gilgamesh used a scimitar to split heaven and earth if I remember correctly. So sumerians might have been the inventors of that weapon. I'll have to look that up though, been too long since I read it. Anyway, I see the scimitar as a two handed big backsword, whereas several warrior heroes use Tulwars in the Mahabharata and they're supposedly thin, relatively light and one handed. What we call a saber today.

Anyway, so Tulwars are supposed to be the mother of all sabers? The asian wellspring for all one-handed half moon swords? Or at least a good second place after the scimitar and the influence for later versions like the Turkish Kilij and the Arab Shamshir (also used by the moors?).
Islamic export of armour to eastern europe during the middle ages wound doubtless have included these weapons as export goods and also influenced the horse people there to make their own very similar hungarian sabers for the centuries that followed.

However, India doesn't seem to put much effort into archaeology searching for ancient Tulwars, unlike how western europe as well as china and the arab world pride themselves with digging up artefacts and putting them on display. I've seen Lurian copper and bronze daggers and club heads, chinese bronze swords from the First Emperors' tomb, Celtic bronze age swords, iron age stuff of all kinds, not to mention europes' museums are overful with medieval weapons and armour. But I can't find even one archeological find of a Tulwar???
Add to this that many family heirlooms got destroyed by the British to prevent rebellions in the 17-1800s. Consequently the only Tulwars we can see today are from 1700 and later. These could just as well have been re-introduced from the Turks and Mameluks. No way of knowing today. No proof, no idea how ancient Tulwars looked 4000 years ago, what were they made of? Bronze or Iron, since India supposedly used iron very early? Did they even resemble sabers?

Last edited by Johan Gemvik on Mon 15 Nov, 2010 7:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
Jonathan Hill wrote:
Johan – concerning the repo’s they may look good but they don’t feel right. The point of balance is off and considering the Cold Steel 1796 it is too heavy which makes it unruly and a greater potential for self injury. It may be ok for back yard cutting but you don't want to use it in a fight...Finding a decent military weight sabre that is useable in fencing/sparring/training is a problem at this point.

I see your point. I've never handled the Cold steel sabers, just a few of their knives.

That makes me realise how lucky I am to own a 1850 Russian marine saber that's still well kept, fresh and strong. I proofed it to see it would stand up to cutting and now I use it for cutting training along with my other swords, athough I'm more careful with it.
Glen A Cleeton wrote:
Didn't some European hussar troopers simultaneously field both poky straight lance substitutes for the massed charge and curved swords for melee?

That was common practice for 16th- and 17th-century hussars of both the light Hungarian and the heavy Polish varieties. There was the long straight koncerz for thrusting--almost a substitute for the lance once the latter was broken--and the szablya for hacking and slashing and perhaps a little bit of thrusting in close quarters. They also had the palasz--pretty much the same as the straight, complex-hilted backswords and broadswords wielded by contemporary Western European heavy cavalry--and I'm pretty sure that it replaced one of the two previously mentioned types when it was worn at all, but I'm not quite sure which. If I'm not mistaken, this custom of carrying two different swords for two different purposes survived until the 1740s or so, if not later.
C.M. Lewis wrote:
I recall reading once that there was a long stretch of Japanese history that was relatively peaceful compared to most, and during this era the Samurai's katanas became more of a status symbol than a weapon of war. Blades that were nearly straight became fashionable and were popular for their superior point control. Eventually the clan rivalries heated up again, and as Japan fell back into perpetual warfare it was discovered that these straight blades transmitted undue shock to the user when slashing armored opponents, and were quickly discarded in favor of the more traditional curved ones.

This is probably rather apocryphal, since the "long peaceful stretch of Japanese history" is probably the Tokugawa period, and katana blades were already becoming straighter before then. In fact, the katana itself--originally known as the uchigatana--is a shorter and straighter version of the longer and more dramatically curved tachi, possibly because it was an attempt to adapt the tachi's design (i.e. that of a cavalry sabre) for infantry fighting. This happened long before the Tokugawa shogunate came into power. The return to more deeply-curved design is also a dubious assertion, of course, since with the decay of the Tokugawa government into the chaotic Bakumatsu period (a twenty- or thirty-year stretch between the opening of Japan to the West and the development of the stable, Westernized government of the Meiji era) there doesn't seem to be a marked change in traditional Japanese sword design to favour more deeply-curved forms. The French-style cavalry sabres that the Japanese adopted after the end of the turmoil was definitely more curved than the average katana but it definitely wasn't a lineal successor or a return to more traditional forms!

And let's not forget that the original inspiration for the Japanese sword was often quite straight--many of the Chinese dao exported to Japan during the Tang dynasty's reign were basically straight, single-edged blades, and the earliest Japanese imitations were also usually straight!

All tangential, of course, but Japan might make an interesting point in comparison since it's a place where curved blades (with varying degrees of curvature) eventually did replace straight blades, which were relegated to almost purely ceremonial status. This stands in contrast to 18th- and 19th- century Europe, where straight blades always remained in use alongside curved ones.
Jonathan Hill wrote:
Glen – My comments about adopting the curved blade go back further. If you look at the average blade in use in Europe from 0-1600 the most predominate blade in use is strait. By records of the swords we see there is about a 90%-10% strait to curved-cutting blade ratio in Europe while in other parts of the world it is more like 60%-40%. By the 19th century we do have about the same ratio, and the argument over which is more dominate the cut or thrust had been going for a few hundred years.

Er...could you back up these statistics? This time try to seriously account for the wide proliferation of falchions and choppers among common soldiers (and even some men-at-arms--probably a lot more than 10% in any case) during the Middle Ages, as well as the widespread and continuing use of straight thrusting or cut-and-thrust blades by cuirassiers and dragoons in the 18th and 19th centuries. Also mind that there are many places outside Europe where straight swords historically predominated for much of the timeframe we're discussing (such as the Arab lands before the 15th or 16th century, or Sudan and the Sahara until quite recently--in fact, with regards to the latter, I think some Tuaregs still carry their straight takoubas on a daily basis).
The Wikipedia on tulwar and 1796 saber “The blade profile of the British Pattern 1796 light cavalry sabre is similar to some examples of the Indian talwar, and expert opinion has suggested that the Indian sword may have contributed to the design of the British sabre.” is deeply misguided.
Persian scimitar is the grand daddy of sabers. Saber (along with Islam) was adopted by mongols during the invasion of the Middle East. When mongols invaded India they were already wielding Persian weaponry and tulwar was an adaptation of mongolian sabers.
Just as Chagatai mongols were invading India, Jochi mongols were invading Eastern Europe. Hungarian and Polish sabers are the result of "cultural exchange". 1796 British saber is just a standardized version of sabers used in Eastern Europe.
Saber's versatility and cutting power give it an edge over any straight blade. However, mastering saber moves requires a lot of time. European military of the XVIIIs - XXs century did not have time to train swordsmen. Teaching basic blocks, slashes, thrusts, and lunges to young farm boys was simple.
Tim V V wrote:

Just as Chagatai mongols were invading India, Jochi mongols were invading Eastern Europe. Hungarian and Polish sabers are the result of "cultural exchange". .

Just a little caveat-
Bear in mind that steppe influence in Hungary predates the Mongol conquest (there have always been some sort of central asian-like auxiliary horsemen under Hungarian Kings who might have possessed sabers).
Polish men-at-arms on the other hand were within Central European standards up until the year 1500 AD - In Poland, the influence of the invading Mongols must have been little if any at all - perhaps restricted to some Lituanian or Ruthenian lands...

Cheers,
Samuel
Yes, the fact is that rather than imposing their own culture, the Mongol often adopted the one of the land and people they conquer (ie that made the Moghol culture in India).
On the other hand, as the mongol empire spreaded widely, it made possible more cultural exchanges, trades, and travel than ever, and in some way had an indirect effect on crafts interbreedings.
Samuel Bena wrote:
Bear in mind that steppe influence in Hungary predates the Mongol conquest (there have always been some sort of central asian-like auxiliary horsemen under Hungarian Kings who might have possessed sabers).

Er...the first Hungarian kings were arguably of Central Asian stock to begin with....
Johan Gemvik wrote:
Second,
about Cold Steel. Now I'd much rather own an antique original any day if possible, but I also want blades for cutting training and some antiques are rather unsuitable for that so I also look for new ones that are sharps.
Anyhow, in what way is a saber reproduction that at least looks the same as the original poor? To me theirs look like the same basic model as the one in your photos, sans the blade decoration and lovely antique patina and add their typical modern design lines. I'm sure Cold steel swords have plenty of ahisotical faults, the viking sword for one has a nice blade but the pommel is just weird and the crossgurard has 19th century romantics celtic knotwork on it. If I bought that one I'd have to re-hilt it properly to not be an eye sore. That wasn't what I was referring to, but more how the 1796 LC cut and thrust, handling characteristics not being the way of a glorified club as some had stated ( although, once again, for the heavy 1796 sabre I mistook to mean the very similarly named light 1796 sabre ;) ).
My estimate of the Cold steel version of the saber didn't extend to anything more than that. Sorry if I was unclear on this. Again, language barrier... I'm from Sweden, this isn't my native tongue.

Regardless, I think you're being unfair to them, because just this once they seem to have gotten most of it decently right.
[ Linked Image ]
This is what their 1796 Light Cavalry sabre looks like. Cuts like a dream and thrusts pretty decently it seems. I'm sure there are some inconsistencies in there but are they so great as to render it utterly and completely off the mark?

Hi Johan,

Having handled both (I own an antique 1796LC - Osbourne, about 1808) the cold steel is totally different to my version. My sabre is light, but still a good cutting weapon. The blade geometry is a lot more refined, with the blade going from about 7mm at the hilt to 1mm at the thin cutting end.

The Cold Steel version does not taper in the same respect and is a hell of a lot more tip heavy, the handle seems a lot thicker and not as comfy. Don't get me wrong, it still cuts very well, but handles nothing like the original.

Johan Gemvik wrote:
Third,
the Tulwars I've handled, as well as the light cavalry saber had the same blade curve, geometry and balance. One of the Tulwars had the same tip. Coincidence? Certainly late Indian blades would have had influence from the west, but this would have worked both ways as these things tend to do. Regardless whichever was first, the hen or the egg, I don't think you can possibly be so sure about it's origin as to say I need to learn more history for suggesting it. ;)
Have you seen tulwars, aka Talwars? The ones I've seen and held have either had the same blade type as the 1796 LC sabre, or a more pointy tip.
19th century Tulwars were often europeean sabers re-hilted with indian fittings, so hen or egg, or a bit of both?

Or to be more precise, here’s a link to Wikipedia about Tulwars. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulwar

Let me quote: “The blade profile of the British Pattern 1796 light cavalry sabre is similar to some examples of the Indian talwar, and expert opinion has suggested that the Indian sword may have contributed to the design of the British sabre.”

This is quoted from Robson, B. (1975) Swords of the British Army, Arms and Armour Press.

Now he talks about the way the blade widens which is 'similar to some tulwars.' He does not say that the 1796 LC is based on a tulwar of any particular kind, merely that some of the blade characteristics are similar. Even then, he does this just so he can just compare it to turkish blades that have a yelman, unlike the 1796LC.
one of the last european issue swords actually carried into combat was the dutch klewang. a curved sword.

my solingen made variant.

numbers of these were issued to the U.S. Marines in ww2 from stock carried to australia & i've recently seen a picture of a squad of marines on guadalcanal , three of whom were carrying dutchies.

cropped portion, he's having a nap by the way...notice pierced klewang guard showing on pack.

while no record has been mentioned of them being used in combat, they were favourably mentioned for cutting thru the jungle, and made great 'machetes'. they were also captured in quantity by the japanese, cut down and guards modified, and issued to japanese troops. the germans also used captured ones in their naval schnell boats in the english channel. they were also used in malasia and indonesia post ww2, again mostly for cutting thru vegetation.

the design was originally produced in solingen in 1898, then hembrug, and later by milsco in the US. mistakenly referred to as the 1917 cutlass, cold steel now makes a crude copy of this with a non-distally tapered blade, which throws off the balance and makes it seem heavy in the hand. cold steel also made a longer 'sabre' version of this, also badly balanced i hear. the real ones were phased out and relegated to ceremonial use in the early 1950's. one od the most copied and widely used sword patterns of recent history. and little known.

the phillipino marines still carry a sword into combat, the ginunting, another curved sword, which is used not only as a machete, but has recent use in actual combat, as moslem seperatists and the marines encountered each other by surprise in dense jungle., the ginunting proved it worth in hand to hand combat where a rifle , even an ak47 was too cumbersome to aim quickly at a close range target. some of the opposition were apparently substantially cut in half. the ginunting is unusual in being reverse curved,
marine one:

civilian:
Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
Samuel Bena wrote:

Er...the first Hungarian kings were arguably of Central Asian stock to begin with....

Sure, but would you happen to have any evidence that these "first Hungarian kings" ever wore sabres?

The Old Magyar chieftains and rulers most likely did but as to medieval Hungarian kings starting with Stephen I. (1000AD) the matter is debatable. More so as there had been a shift in Hungarian gear in the second half of 10th century iirc - straight sword of the western type replacing the former Asiatic sabre with further evidence of spurs in graves (by contrast the old magyar warriors rode with a whip and didn't use spurs). There is even an artifact called the sword of Saint Stephen held in a Prague museum - http://mek.niif.hu/01900/01992/html/index907.html , which does look like period european swords..

Cheers,
Samuel
Those swords look really nice :) especial the Dutch Klewang. I never new that swords have been carried in to combat so recently though I don't know how big the Philipino knife is.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Page 2 of 3

Jump to: