Go to page Previous  1, 2

My Old Dominion Forge clamshell cutlass makes a really beautiful ringing tone when flicked on its blade with my fingers. The sustain is kind of unworldly, really. The grip is polished antler, mounted in iron. I also have a "whinger" dirk by Glenn McClain that makes a wonderful "schwinggg" sound when pulled from its steel mounted sheath, followed by a ringing that lasts a few seconds. Its blade is mounted in iron and very hard Blackwood. What's extra cool about this one is, when you put it back into its sheath, it makes a satisfying metalic sliding sound and snick-snick-click! Very cool, and it's the only one of his knives I own that does it, too. :cool:

Oh, and my Albion Vassal blade also rings when flicked quite nicely, too.
Christopher Gregg wrote:
My Old Dominion Forge clamshell cutlass makes a really beautiful ringing tone when flicked on its blade with my fingers. The sustain is kind of unworldly, really. The grip is polished antler, mounted in iron. I also have a "whinger" dirk by Glenn McClain that makes a wonderful "schwinggg" sound when pulled from its steel mounted sheath, followed by a ringing that lasts a few seconds. Its blade is mounted in iron and very hard Blackwood. What's extra cool about this one is, when you put it back into its sheath, it makes a satisfying metalic sliding sound and snick-snick-click! Very cool, and it's the only one of his knives I own that does it, too. :cool:

Oh, and my Albion Vassal blade also rings when flicked quite nicely, too.

My only question is one of personal preference...have we been conditioned by Hollywood to think these sounds are a good thing? Or is there practical purpose behind a good 'schwinggg'? It sure sounds 'pretty' but is that pretty supposed to be there or is it a manufactured myth we cling to because its 'cool'? I'm ok either way really, modern myth can feed itself as long as reality isn't affected too harshly. I dont mind the 'schwinggg' sound either, I just wonder aloud whether or not its appropriate.
Well heres a fun youtube video about it actually :) .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzbfuI0PMdA
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: