Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sirs-Mr Oakshott said in Archaeology of Weapons that the pommel was intended to be a part of the grip. Not having any swords to practice with I was't totally sure of what he meant. You have cleared this up for me.
Re: Did vikings realy have such tiny hands?
Karl Knisley wrote:
Hello
I recently received my Albion Valkyrja. I totally love the way it looks.However. My fist is 4 1/2 ",and the grip is 3 1/2".
I can grip it, in whats been referred to as the hammer grip, but it presses into the heal of my hand with no room to pivot.
I tried the hand shake grip, but that seems extremely clumsy. I cant see how they could have used either grip all day in battle effectively unless they had small hands. Like the Burger king guy :) Any thoughts?

Thanks

Doesn't the Albion website say they the sword that inspired manufacture of the Valkyrja came from the grave of a women? That may explain the small grip.
Elling: when you complete your stroke, do you change which findgers are controlling the blade? I hold a sword much like you do, but when my stroke is about to connect i switch to my ring and pinky finger grasping the hilt...this gives me a touch more oomph! and actually adds a few more inches to the swings follow through.
Go to page Previous  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: