Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

George Hill....

I was referring to George Osborne's comments, not yours. My first name is George but I am called by shortened middle name. Too many Georges I guess.
Gordon Frye wrote:
To begin with, paper cartridges were well known by at least the middle of the 16th Century, as pistols were being used in conjunction with "patron" boxes, which were iron-mounted blocks of wood with the requisite number of holes drilled into it to house a number of paper cartridges, and fitted with a spring-loaded iron cover. The box was usually carried slung over the shoulder, but as the box was small and usually held no more than five or six rounds, it's rather inconspicuous. But they were definitely in common use for Cavalry by the 1560's, and probably somewhat earlier.

So those boxes contained paper cartridges? I must have been not careful enough when examining the sources because the one box I made didn't have any special internal structures--I only use it to keep loose balls in Modifying it wouldn't be such a difficult matter, though.

(BTW, is the paper cartridge supposed to contain powder and ball or just the measured charge of powder?)

As for tap-loading, I never tap-load myself. I was just chiming in with a method that some other people might have found useful. I'm too perfectionist for it, not to mention that sometimes I can't find balls that are large enough to sit in my weapons without a considerable amount of wadding. Not even among the ones I cast myself. ;)
Lafayette;

Indeed, the patron boxes were for paper cartridges. However, there is some debate as to whether or not the first ones were simply full of powder and a separate ball was carried, but they figured out pretty quickly that it was more efficient to combine the two into a single package. If you note the length of the box, it becomes fairly straightforward that it's the same length as a paper-cartridge, with perhaps some extra room for pyrites or something at the bottom under the wooden block. I just received a patron box that I had contracted for some time ago, so as soon as I get some photo's of it I'll post them.

Cheers!

Gordon
Lin;

Yup, Mike Venturino knows his stuff. I've shot with him before, but my good friend and co-worker Jim Milner shoots with him regularly in the long-range BP Cartridge matches. Jim is now using a .50-70, and that old man can SHOOT! He uses the SPG lube, which is really, really good stuff. I used to use it religiously back when I was doing a lot of BP Cartridge shooting too, and it's really good. It keeps your fouling nice and "damp", for lack of a better word, so that it doesn't turn into the concrete that it can with more modern style bullet lubricants. The US Army used a 50/50 mix of bee's wax and olive oil, and that makes just as good a lube as SPG, but doesn't come in the nice tubes that SPG does... :D Anyway, anything that Mike Venturino has written is pretty much dead on the money from my perspective. As you note, he's been doing this for a long time, and knows where-of he speaks.

Looks like you and I have been shooting black powder for about the same length of time. I think I started in 1968 too... :cool:

Cheers!

Gordon
Lafayette C Curtis wrote:

So those boxes contained paper cartridges? I must have been not careful enough when examining the sources because the one box I made didn't have any special internal structures--I only use it to keep loose balls in Modifying it wouldn't be such a difficult matter, though.

Yes. My understanding of the process is this,

You set the weapon to half cock; you reach behind you to the box, which rides on the back of your belt, and take out a cartridge.

You place the ball or (bullet for later weapons, like rifled muskets) in your teeth, and tear the paper open with your hand.

Then you either prime the pan, or leave this step until later with a pinch of powder you take yourself. (For later weapons you use a percussion cap,). There is some debate about doing this before or after filling the barrel...

But skipping on, you use the paper tube to pour the powder into the barrel, and shove the paper in. Then your spit the ball on top, and ram the whole thing down.

Now here's a question.... I have a "powder horn" (It's a brass tube, but still...) and it has a funnel measure on the end, separated from the main container by a switch. This end bit conforms to a set volume of powder, and is infact replaceable by other tips which conform to various volumes. One 'could' put their finger over the end, invert, flip the switch just below it which separates the tip from the main powder area, and measure a more or less given amount of powder from it, then pour said powder into a musket barrel. Loading direct from the horn is however specially prohibited by every MODERN set of safety directions I've ever seen. This is logical, as a stray spark could turn it into a grenade going off in your face.

But is that how people loaded from horns in the old days? I've never seen a switch like this on an old one, but that could be as I haven't paid attention.
George Hill wrote:

You place the ball or (bullet for later weapons, like rifled muskets) in your teeth, and tear the paper open with your hand.

Actually, you put the "tail" of the paper cartridge in your teeth and tear the end off, using your thumb to hold it at the level of the powder, with the ball being somewhere in the palm of you hand. It stays within the paper cartridge the whole time. Then stuff the whole thing down the barrel, powder-end first.

George Hill wrote:
Now here's a question.... I have a "powder horn" (It's a brass tube, but still...) and it has a funnel measure on the end, separated from the main container by a switch. This end bit conforms to a set volume of powder, and is infact replaceable by other tips which conform to various volumes. One 'could' put their finger over the end, invert, flip the switch just below it which separates the tip from the main powder area, and measure a more or less given amount of powder from it, then pour said powder into a musket barrel. Loading direct from the horn is however specially prohibited by every MODERN set of safety directions I've ever seen. This is logical, as a stray spark could turn it into a grenade going off in your face.

But is that how people loaded from horns in the old days? I've never seen a switch like this on an old one, but that could be as I haven't paid attention

If you check out the old manuals and illustrations you see this sort of powder flask (either in the familiar triangle shape, or the slightly curved, almost "horn"-like form) being used as standard equipment for arquebusiers, and even Spanish musketeers used them, as they didn't like bandoliers of chargers (i.e. "Twelve Apostles", a term which wasn't used in the period). Even pistol flasks used a similar cut-off valve. But you're right, although there's a lot of speed you gain by using such a method, the danger of turning your flask into a grenade isn't worth the risk at all! But still, I've seen it done... :eek:

Cheers!

Gordon
[/quote] Now here's a question.... I have a "powder horn" (It's a brass tube, but still...) and it has a funnel measure on the end, separated from the main container by a switch. This end bit conforms to a set volume of powder, and is infact replaceable by other tips which conform to various volumes. One 'could' put their finger over the end, invert, flip the switch just below it which separates the tip from the main powder area, and measure a more or less given amount of powder from it, then pour said powder into a musket barrel. Loading direct from the horn is however specially prohibited by every MODERN set of safety directions I've ever seen. This is logical, as a stray spark could turn it into a grenade going off in your face.

But is that how people loaded from horns in the old days? I've never seen a switch like this on an old one, but that could be as I haven't paid attention.[/quote]

George...

I do not believe that folks loaded directly from the horn or flask in the old days, although I am not aware of any contemporary detailed description of how they used the horns. I guess that's just one of the things that everybody knew, so there was no reason to write it down. Modern day black powder shooters are admonished not to charge their gun directly from the horn (the grenade warning - which I see here), and it would not make sense to do so even if the danger of explosion were not there. If you are going to have consistent ballistics from your gun then you have to have a measure that will contain roughly the same powder charge for each shot. Simply pouring down the bore and guessing when to stop won't work. There are original horns and flasks with valves and I am sure they were sometimes used to charge guns. Powder flasks from the mid-19th century used that sort of arrangement for loading revolvers with loose powder, although paper cartridges were made for pistol loads too. But the best use of those flasks with the interchangeable tips is to pour the powder into your measure and then from the measure into the gun, rather than directly into the cylinder. Safety first.

While we are on the subject of horns and flasks, recent research seems to indicate that priming horns - separate, smaller horns that contained fine priming powder - were not in general use in the old days. Flintlocks were probably primed from the main powder supply.
George, I'm quite familiar with the process of loading with a paper cartridge--I've done that often enough in the British-style musket drills. It's just that I must have missed the reference to its use by 16th-century cavalrymen. And now that I think of it, it's quite reasonable that cavalrymen woudl have adopted paper cartridges first since such cartridges would have helped a lot with keeping the powder and ball in place against the motions of a galloping or jumping horse.

Quite funny, isn't it? I should stop musing and start planning the modifications to my poor old box...
Lin Robinson wrote:
] Simply pouring down the bore and guessing when to stop won't work. There are original horns and flasks with valves and I am sure they were sometimes used to charge guns.

Right. As long as you have the valve, with the powder measure/funnel, it almost seems designed to charge a long-gun, even if doing so would be very dangerous. One could also suggest that the danger would be minimized by the closed valve between the 40 grains or so of powder and the main vessel. (That is NOT to be taken as a suggestion to try it however. )

Nonetheless, a separate powder measure seems like it would be almost impossible to use under field conditions. Let's say I am reloading a flintlock pistol. I would have to pour powder into my measure, pour it into the pistol, keep the wind from taking my powder, and then find a ball and ram it home.

(Admittedly pistols weren't usually reloaded in the middle of action, but nonetheless there would have been occasions to reload them.)

If I were on the back of a horse, I would need a hand for the powder flask, one for the measure, and a third for the pistol.

Compare this to taking the flask, using the attached powder measure with the valve, closing the valve, and pouring that into the weapon. Much faster, protects your powder from the wind, and you only need two hands. The trade off is the possibility of blowing yourself up. It certainly feels like what that valve arrangement is suppose to be for. (But that's a common sense sort of feeling, which often prove incorrect in historical concerns; due to arcane trivia one is unaware of.)

Quote:

Powder flasks from the mid-19th century used that sort of arrangement for loading revolvers with loose powder,

What is the earliest we see these valves?

Quote:

although paper cartridges were made for pistol loads too. But the best use of those flasks with the interchangeable tips is to pour the powder into your measure and then from the measure into the gun, rather than directly into the cylinder. Safety first.

It's good to distinguish paper cartridges from combustible cartridges. The former is simple paper, whereas the latter also uses paper, but paper which has been treated with a solution to render it inflammable. Combustible cartridges as were used in BP revolvers were a single unit of ball and powder, wrapped up in thin paper which had been soaked in the aforementioned solution, so the paper was formed to the bullet and powder, giving you a single unit shaped such that you could ram it into the revolver chamber without tearing it open. The inflammable paper would take the spark from the percussion cap more readily then plain paper.
George....

You really answered your own questions for the most part.

The revolver cartridges I was referring to were those made from combustible paper, as used during the Civil War. Also, many troops using revolvers carried one or more extra loaded cylinders.

Reloading pistols on horseback in the middle of a battle is problematic, no matter what method of reloading you use. I suspect that they weren't reloaded very often. Sabers and carbines, along with pistols were the full compliment of weapons. When you got close enough to use a single shot pistol you were far too close to the enemy to take the time to reload a pistol.

There have been all kinds of valves and spouts attached to flasks and horns for a very long time. Hard to say when the valve first came into use. However, for the edification of everyone reading this thread, loading a muzzle loader - especially one that has just been fired - directly from a horn or flask, valve-equipped or not, is dangerous and should not be done!
Flasks with cut-off valves definitely were used for Cavalry from the 16th Century on, and such a device probably pre-dates the pistol in fact. Cruso's "Militarie Instruction for the Caval'rie" (1632) devotes an entire fold-out page to the process of loading and firing from the saddle using a flask, in the event that the trooper ran out of paper cartridges, so it's obvious that it was an excepted method of reloading. All one needs is to place the pistol in the bridle hand, and manipulate the flask (and other items such as spanner, bullets and rammer) with the right hand.

I'll have to resize the photo-copy have of the loading drill in order to post it, but here's the book's illustration of a Cuirassier, complete with pistols, and holsters with their flasks and port-tasches.

Here are also a couple of 16th Century flasks, showing the cut-off valves fitted just under the nozzle.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

Cheers!

Gordon

Attachment: 34.05 KB
LancerCruso.jpg

George Hill wrote:
Lin Robinson wrote:

As George points out, with training it is possible to load a musket, using a paper cartridge with undersize ball, four times in less than a minute. I have seen it done. A round every 15 seconds was required of the British soldier.

Three! Three shots a minute from an unloaded musket.

Right, that's it then. The gun only took over from the horsebow before the reliable multi-shot technology in those countries and those armies where mass archery skill was a problem then :idea:
Even I can easily get a dozen arrows per minut, say 4 dozen in one flow, fairly accurately over 100 yards when galloping around.
Trying to reload at a gallop would seriously hamper the 3 per minut so let's make it 2 max.
To get say 50 bullets underway I would need close to half an hour and I would not come clóse to the same reach and accuracy.
What is the reasonably accurate range for a flintlock pistol? 20 yards?
Quick and gross arithmatic thus make the horsebow roughly 30 times as effective as a flintlock pistol.
Cannot wait to receive my bp-weapon permit that is STILL pending.

Being a romantic at heart (and rider, lancer, horsebowman) I can quite understand the abhorance of the french nobility and the mamluks when they realised that a mass of '3rd class' infantry with guns could and eventually woul kill of the exquisite skills of the experienced horserider with lance, sword and bow.....
I spent a lot of time in Alden Biesen last week. The Belgian home of the Duitse Ridderorden and by jove, did those guys have their luxury, extremely exclusive men-club! They even had a residence for 'their' women in nearby Tongeren. All to vanish with the rise of mass infantry carrying effective guns.

Well, sóme of it was 'made good' in Afghanistan by mounted elite forces with modern guns, sigh....

Peter
Peter Bosman wrote:

Trying to reload at a gallop would seriously hamper the 3 per minut so let's make it 2 max.

[/quote]

Trying to reload at the gallop would be next to impossible. The standerd seems to have been charge the enemy, withdraw, re-charge your pistols, re-charge the enemy.
But rate of fire and range are of no matter if the missile fails to injur or kill the target when it hits. Armour could be made arrow-proof but not bullet proof. Furthermore there was the psychological impact of firearms: noise, flame and smoke could be just as effective as a hit against certain types of troops.

And even nations which possesed the skill and tradition of horse archery abandoned the bow in favour of firearms, Poland-Lithuania and the Habsburg controlled parts Hungary are examples of this. In 1629 the Castellan of Cracow, Prince Zabarski, complained that 'kozacy' (Polish light cavalry equipped in what was called the 'cossack' style) were inadequate cavalry against the Swedes since the kozacy were unarmoured and used bows.

in the battle of Warsaw (1656) the Swedes and their Brandenburg allies fought with the Tartars who supported the Polish & Lithuanian armies in that battle. Dispite their famous skill with the bow the Tartars failed miserably when confronted with 'Western' troops armed with cannon, musket and pistol.

So clearly the issue is more complex than a compariosn of ranges & rates of fire makes it out to be.

Daniel
One additional note about very early paper cartridge combinations: The earliest I know of used a ball with the casting sprue still attached or even had a special sprue moulded into the ball itself. The open neck of the paper cartridge was tied with twine to the sprue so that the ball sat on top of the paper tube with the ball exposed. The loading was done by biting off the opposite end of the tube with all of the load going straight into the barrell with the paper/ball combination following thus giving a wad and ball at one stroke. As mentioned before, priming was done from a small flask of finer grain powder. Remember, powder at this early period was not milled or "corned" as it came to be called, but was termed "sepentine" powder and was much finer in texture. So much so that gunners were cautioned to turn the barrells in storage so that the heaver elements did not separate themselves by gravity and so corrupt the quality of the powder. Actually powder testers came into play about this time in order to assure the combustability and quality of the powder being used. Corned powder is wet after mixing and formed through a sieve with gives it the grain texture we know today. Different size seive, differt sizes of grains. Corned powder came in use sometimes in the early 17th century if memory serves me correctly. My impression is that the Patron was used by cavalry to hold the early cartridge combinations I mentioned above. Peterson has a couple of nice illustraions of these Patrons and catridge combinations in "Arms and Armor in Colonial America." Of course, this is also the book where he claims closed helmets were never used in early America...that is until the archeologists in Jamestown started digging them up in the late 1980s at Martin's Hundred and other sites!
Daniel Staberg wrote:
But rate of fire and range are of no matter if the missile fails to injur or kill the target when it hits. Armour could be made arrow-proof but not bullet proof.

Well... ACTUALLY....... Do a search on ... what are they called again? Bullet proof marks?
George Hill wrote:

Well... ACTUALLY....... Do a search on ... what are they called again? Bullet proof marks?

Many of which were probably made with a ball-peen hammer... Pistol-proof armour was fairly common, although even that was usually tested at further than the five-foot range suggested by Francois de la Noue. And according to Sir Roger Williams, the chances of anyone in a given force being armed with anything that was musket-proof was not more than one in a hundred, if that many.

Breastplates and helmets could be, and were, made pistol-proof, but virtually none of the rest of a Cuirassier's armour was. Indeed, Pistoliers were instructed to aim for the visor or tassets of their opposing number since the chances of either of those pieces of armour being pistol-proof was very, very low. However, any of it would be proof against virtually all arrows.

Gordon
Gordon Frye wrote:
[ However, any of it would be proof against virtually all arrows.

Gordon

....and thus the mamluk manual writes that if the rider is well armoured, one shoots at the horse. Well actually it advised to aim at the riders thy from the side and the horses head from the front so that if the arrow goes a bit astray i will still find target. I guess that out of 50 of them sóme will.
Anyway, firearms did replace the bow as they develloped so there is not realy much cause to differ in 'opinion' ;)

Peter
George Hill wrote:
Peter Bosman wrote:

Trying to reload at the gallop would be next to impossible.

Well, that is why I applied for a weapon permit. To try it out. Sofar quite a lot has turned out to be not the same in the saddle as from the book :lol:

I know about the pouches Gordon (called 'cartouche' after the cartridges and I already have the leather to make one) but not about the 'patrons', the cartridges. Can you point me in a direction so I can possibly make those myself? As it stands I still plan to assemble two .45 flint pistols from kits by Ardesa.

Peter
George Hill wrote:
Daniel Staberg wrote:
But rate of fire and range are of no matter if the missile fails to injur or kill the target when it hits. Armour could be made arrow-proof but not bullet proof.

Proofed armour were not proofed against all kinds of bullets, only some. Armour which was fully musket-proof did not exist in general issue and was for the most part restricted to specialised suits. (Not to mention quite heavy) Pistol-proof armour o.t.h was reasonably common which resulted in the Dutch introducing pistols with a larger calibre in the first decades of the 1600's.

The musket was not the only problem which rendered armour increasingly ineffective. We have introduction of rapid firing light artillery which used first lead and then iron cannister shot against which armour provided no defence at all once the target had entered effective range. (Not to mention full calibre round shot...)

The above increase in firepower is one of the major reasons why armour except for the cuirass and helmet vanished from the battlefield at an increasing rate from the late 1630's and even those items were abandoned by many troopers. The breastplates of the late 17th century and 18th Century did provide a somewhat increased protection against musketry mostly thanks to the fact that muskets now fired lighter shot with reduced charges compared to the "full" muskets of 1600.
But still many armies prefered to do without them. The partial reintroduction of body armour in European armies from the 1730's onward had more to do with the protection it provided against sword thrusts rather than the protection the 'proofed' armour provided against bullets.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Page 2 of 3

Jump to: