Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

I want some armor made of whatever the pirates tri-corn was made out of. It seemed to have no problem stopping full on impacts from the flail without causing any damage whatsoever! :wtf:
Chad Arnow wrote:

I've said it before and will say it again: expecting historical accuracy from Hollywood is like expecting the Nobel Prize in physics to be awarded to a trout. Not gonna happen. :)

It would presumably go to some well known fishicist :p
Ditto, ditto, ditto. I think, though, they intended that the pirate wasn't really being hit, but was diving to the ground to get out of the way. Well, that's the best construction I can put on it, anyway. But what got the biggest laugh out of me was the toy crossbow. Where'd they get that ridiculous little excuse for a weapon, the corner hardware store? You couldn't hunt anything bigger than a rabbit with that thing!. And the bunny had better be close! :p
actually the thing that made me laugh most was the pistol bullet bouncing off the crappy breastplate ....

I do wander how accurate the bone structure inside the gelatin is though as the tests seem to do a lot more damage than expected after looking through my Battle of Wisby book.

I for one will keep watching the series, it makes me laugh cray & scream in every episode !
Adam Rudling wrote:
I do wander how accurate the bone structure inside the gelatin is though as the tests seem to do a lot more damage than expected after looking through my Battle of Wisby book.

Well I doubt very much that soldiers who fought in Wisby were just standing there immobile waiting to be hit with full-strength swing. If they were doing smart thing and moving around, trying to avoid the blows and such, damage will be much less massive, IMO at least. Besides, you do not need to expend so much energy to land blows killing someone triple-over, and I doubt people would waste so much energy in real combat - they would have known how much is enough to kill someone, or incapaciate.
Nat Lamb wrote:
Chad Arnow wrote:

I've said it before and will say it again: expecting historical accuracy from Hollywood is like expecting the Nobel Prize in physics to be awarded to a trout. Not gonna happen. :)

It would presumably go to some well known fishicist :p

Ooooo. Ow. ;)
If only this show could be as historicaly accurate etc. as Manswers,...now your talking scientific!!
I just watched Mafia vs Yakuza. It was very interesting. For one thing I knew nothing about Yakuza before watching the episode. I am now interested in learning more about Yakuza. I did not know and found it interesting that Yakuza used British and German weapons in 1946. Not that it mattered to the Yakuza, but it says something about Imperial Japans position to have continued its war effort effectively against the US in 1945.

This episode also shows why it makes more sense to match up warriors that are of different time periods with vastly different weapons on this sort of show. I felt for the most part that Mafia and Yakuza are too similar to really compare. Either one could have beat the other. The Mafia only had slight edge in fire power. Both the Mafia and the Yakuza had the same potential access to more powerful weapons in their respective time and place.
Artis, thanks but I know all that stuff ... thats why I was wandering how accurate & whatever the bone structure inside the gel was made from hence too have something to reference from.

It does show though how many experts there are in various weapon forms over in california ..... ;)
Deadliest warrior take two:
Syphilitic Conquistador vs Longbowman with Dysentery..now reenactment of that I would watch! (in horror, but still..) :p
Bjorn Hagstrom wrote:
Deadliest warrior take two:
Syphilitic Conquistador vs Longbowman with Dysentery..now reenactment of that I would watch! (in horror, but still..) :p

Candidate for a shorts(s) film festival.

AMDG
jsa
warriors??
Oh come on, people didn't really describe Mafia and Yakuza as warriors ,did they?? Well, if they did, forget my suggestion of Mr Bean vs Peewee Herman, and put on shows with such ''warriors'' as Crack Head Convenience Store Robber vs Serial Rapist, Enron Boss vs Credit Card Fraud artist, and all forms of criminals one thinks qualifies as a ''warrior'', like in war on morality, war on decency, war on common sense... Yakuza vs Mafia, please....
Oh yeah, I do know of both mythologies of how they portray their humble beginnings as robin hood like patriotic organizations, but the fact of the matter is that both these organizations are known icons of organized crime... what's next: Hell's Angels vs Mara Salvatrucha ??... this is not entertainment as low life knife in the back drug dealers cannot be placed on the same level as the men & women of our armed forces, nor those of other nations and cultures through time. Offensive.
Quote:
Chad Arnow

I guess people need to rant to get it off their chest, but it doesn't seem to change anything and just gets people worked up.

That is exactly right. As towards the reason why I enjoy this forum is because of the kindness upheld for posts and replies to posts. As we are patient with each other... We know have a common enemy... this horribly flawed show. Now we all get to flame this show with a torch of words.

Aftter I saw the knight vs pirate, I vowed never to watch that show or any of the same manner again. I still get disturbed just thinking about it. I enjoy when my brother calls me and asks questions pertaining to the show and I am able to redirect him to a more accurate taste of knowledge than what that show could do.
Christopher VaughnStrever wrote:
I enjoy when my brother calls me and asks questions pertaining to the show and I am able to redirect him to a more accurate taste of knowledge than what that show could do.

That is a beautiful thing and the show serves a useful purpose. All across the globe there are people like your brother that saw the show, are asking questions and seeking them out. The people who do not bother to follow up with more questions and research are not likely to remember what they saw anyway on the show.
Re: warriors??
Jean-Carle Hudon wrote:
Oh come on, people didn't really describe Mafia and Yakuza as warriors ,did they?? Well, if they did, forget my suggestion of Mr Bean vs Peewee Herman, and put on shows with such ''warriors'' as Crack Head Convenience Store Robber vs Serial Rapist, Enron Boss vs Credit Card Fraud artist, and all forms of criminals one thinks qualifies as a ''warrior'', like in war on morality, war on decency, war on common sense... Yakuza vs Mafia, please....
Oh yeah, I do know of both mythologies of how they portray their humble beginnings as robin hood like patriotic organizations, but the fact of the matter is that both these organizations are known icons of organized crime... what's next: Hell's Angels vs Mara Salvatrucha ??... this is not entertainment as low life knife in the back drug dealers cannot be placed on the same level as the men & women of our armed forces, nor those of other nations and cultures through time. Offensive.

I actually would pay good money to watch the Enron exec vs Serial Rapist. except no simulation, in a 10X10 room, aremed ith clamores (the mines, not the swords)
But the real question in the upcoming Navy SEAL vs Spetznatz is:

Will they stay true to the show's action movie roots and actually test baby oil or whatever was used on 80s action heros vs whatever russian wrestlers are using to oil themselves up?
I didn't watch Mafia v. Yakuza - in hand-to-hand did the Yakuza have more of an advantage over a Mafioso whose hand was burned during his "omerta" oath, or did the Mafiso have an advantage because the Yakuza was missing the end of his left pinkie due to self-amputation after losing "face"...
Vassilis Tsafatinos wrote:
That is a beautiful thing and the show serves a useful purpose.

Maybe it could have served that purpose without be quite so ridiculously wrong so often?

Matthew
i liked how the yakuza were samurai, and not just criminals. I also liked how the were comparing a 9mm pistol to a sawed-off shotgun, like they even had to.
James Hayden wrote:
I didn't watch Mafia v. Yakuza - in hand-to-hand did the Yakuza have more of an advantage over a Mafioso whose hand was burned during his "omerta" oath, or did the Mafiso have an advantage because the Yakuza was missing the end of his left pinkie due to self-amputation after losing "face"...

off topic (or maybe not). There was/is a tabletop game called "Ninjaburger", in it your charecter starts of with 10 honour, but every time you fail a task (of ANY sort) you lose an honour point. 2-handed weapons are only usable by Ninja with more than 7 points of honour. When I first read the rules I thought "Huh, thats odd, I hadn't thought that nodachi or naganatawhere particularly associated with honour..."
tick...
tick...
tick...
"D'OH!"
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Page 8 of 11

Jump to: