Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

I thought that the true English longbow wasn't in general use lets say in 1066 at Hastings and that the bows used by the Normans were somewhat smaller and less powerful ?

In the time of Richard Coeur de Lion and during the Third Crusade his army seemed to depend on crossbows and I haven't read about much longbow use in that Crusade ?

During this period the crossbow was being banned for use against Christians by the Pope because it was said to be to easy to kill Knights with one. At the same period if bows were as powerful as the contemporary crossbows I would think they too would have been banned / frowned upon / cursed?

O.K. there may be something to the idea that there are some contradictions when we try to reconcile different theories and some numbers may not add up.

Early crossbows only had to be effective against maille and be easier to use and a bit more powerful than bows.

Later plate becomes a factor and the longbow as well as more powerful goatsfoot or windlass crossbows appear on the scene: Classic arms race between attack and defence, and during some intervals one or the other can be ahead ?

Average draw weight of longbows may also have tended to go up until a practical maximum was reached: A 100 pounds is manageable, a 150 pound draw is getting up there in difficulty and might be reachable by many archers; but for 150 to be average one would expect there to be a lot of 180 or even 200 pound longbows. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Have any of you ever tried a 165 pound bent over dumbbell row for reps ! A 100 or 125 pound row is fairly challenging but 165 pounds feels like a lot more than just another 40 pounds: And I'm not trying to aim at something when lifting weights.

At this point I think we have exhausted the subject and risk repeating ourselves: After David does his tests we can argue then about interpreting the results with some fresh facts and video. :D
David Ruff wrote:
Bill Grandy wrote:
Hey David,
I don't have a stake in this one way or the other, but I think for the test to be valid then it absolutely needs an accurate arming doublet. Maybe the doublet didn't do a thing. Maybe the doublet absorbed some of the shock on impact and didn't allow the arrow to penetrate the plate in a way that it would have if the arming doublet wasn't worn. Maybe the plate was compromised, but slowed the arrow enough so that the arming doublet was sufficient to stop it from being fatal. I don't know. But I know I for one wouldn't take it as a valid test unless if you covered as many of the aspects as feasible, and the arming coat strikes me as an integral part of the armour.

Ermm might, might not.... I don't see it as if we get a complete pass through that the doblet as being anything that would make a difference. But it can be done....

DO WE HAVE any information on what they were made of and how to reproduce one? it would be nothing i guess to create it.

About arming doublet-try here http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...ng+doublet

I can't wait the results of the test!
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
I thought that the true English longbow wasn't in general use lets say in 1066 at Hastings and that the bows used by the Normans were somewhat smaller and less powerful ?

The so-called "shortbow" is a myth. Viurtually all self bows ever used on the battlefield were "longbows." Strickland and Hary's book covers the subject well. Strickland prefers the term "warbow" instead of 'longbow" amd I agree with him.

Quote:
During this period the crossbow was being banned for use against Christians by the Pope because it was said to be to easy to kill Knights with one.
This is a Vicrtorian myth based on a misinterpretation of the word ballistares. I already said this earlier in this thread. Crossbows were never banned. CrossbowMEN were prohibited from firing at Christians. It had nothing to do with whether the weapon could harm knights and a lot to do with giving the Papal States an unfair advantage over Roger Guiscard's Saracen army (who was invading from the south). i.e. Guiscard's crossbowmen were prohibited from firing upon the Pope's christian soldiers, but the crossbowmen in these armies could fire upon Guiscard's men with impunity (since many of them were not Christian).
Dan Howard wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

The so-called "shortbow" is a myth. Viurtually all self bows ever used on the battlefield were "longbows." Strickland and Hary's book covers the subject well. Strickland prefers the term "warbow" instead of 'longbow" amd I agree with him.

Quote:
During this period the crossbow was being banned for use against Christians by the Pope because it was said to be to easy to kill Knights with one.
This is a Vicrtorian myth based on a misinterpretation of the word ballistares. I already said this earlier in this thread. Crossbows were never banned. CrossbowMEN were prohibited from firing at Christians. It had nothing to do with whether the weapon could harm knights and a lot to do with giving the Papal States an unfair advantage over Roger Guiscard's Saracen army (who was invading from the south). i.e. Guiscard's crossbowmen were prohibited from firing upon the Pope's christian soldiers, but the crossbowmen in these armies could fire upon Guiscard's men with impunity (since many of them were not Christian).

Actually dan......

Short bows were NOT a myth... short bows were used a lot in many parts of the world including england. All a short bow was was a bow that was not considered a long bow. Horsebows for instance are considered short bows. For you to say virtually all bows fired on the battle field is a contradiction. What were the other bows? Short bows......... Short bows were made of composite of horn, sinew and wood. Longbows were made of one piece of wood. The reason short bows were composite is the composite could handle the short stave and draw. The ONLY reason the longbow stayed together was its 6 to 7 foot length vs is 30 to 33" draw.

Seems to me that crossbows were introduced to the english by the normans in and around 1066ad,

it wasn't until the welsh were being harassed by the english that the longbow came really into use by the english until the late 1200ad to the early 1300's. Thats not to say it wasn't used - but thats when the english REALLY used it in warfare. Infact if memory serves the english employed the welsh archer and then you start to see a heavy import of yew staves after this time.

The first ban on crossbows you are correct - 1139ad the 2nd Lateran Council interdict forbids use of crossbow among Christians. HOWEVER

in 1503 the first of many English laws restricting possession and use of crossbows.

Why do you think this is? becuase the crossbows started becoming more powerful and by this time you had kings that died to the crossbow, you had religious figure heads that died to crossbows and you have many knights that dies to the crossbow.... no more were the days of the ransom and buying the knight or important figure back - they just got shot and died....

It would be about another 50 to 70 years from this ban that firarms started replacing crossbows and other weaponry on the field.

Now granted i am no good with dates and numbers, and i have not had my coffee this morning, but thats how i remember history class.

Oh and as a theroy - Someone at the Royal Military College did tests with radar on crossbow force and for 80 yards the 250 pound crossbow did not lose any power. Im assuming this means the bolt kept its volocity. Granted this is what was sent to me - i have not verified it but the source comes from someone thats a graduate student and works in the war gallery in new york.

Now an arrow sure loses power as it travels out, you can actually see it, the fletch slows it WAY down. Its something i plan on encoperating into my testing as i have a police friend with a radargun that is coming over during the live fire, the test will be videoed as well and with known distance the noise of te fire and the impact can be timed as well. Will get some numbers in speed.

David
David, tyhat's very interisting. Do you happen to know when Europe got the 'proper' crossbow? I know the romans used mounted ones, and you had that odd 'belly bow' thing....

But I've always wondered if the crossbox was invented out of those, or 'imported' from China, as the Crossbow was such a primary weapon there.
George Hill wrote:
David, tyhat's very interisting. Do you happen to know when Europe got the 'proper' crossbow? I know the romans used mounted ones, and you had that odd 'belly bow' thing....

But I've always wondered if the crossbox was invented out of those, or 'imported' from China, as the Crossbow was such a primary weapon there.

Well im not rewal sure..... Crossbows were used for years in china - the repeating crossbow for instance (fun build and fun to shoot) but these were VERY low power and used bamboo for prods. I built one of these repeaters and they are DAMN effective to about 40 yards - not alot of power but if the bolt scratches you - your toast. They did shoot a bolt and the bolt was tipped with a strong poison.

The romans used crossbows (torsion machines) like the scorpion and they also had hand crossbows. The mounted crossbows - like the scorpion were ballistas. again the age in time and the materials proved to be to weak to make a strong crossbow that was hand mounded. There reflex/deflex war bows (composite bows fyi) did a huge amount more damage. I have one of these bows that i copied from period pictures - it pulls 95lbs and is composite materials. It is a MONSTER......

It seems to me and my studies that the crossbow then faded away from history until the 1000AD time line. This is not to say it was not used or didn't exsist, but it seems to reapper then. Thats when england got it. Composite limbs followed with it - no doubt becuase of the known hun, mongol and asian bows that used the same type of construction of thier bows known to pull over 200lbs on the strong ones (the hand bows that is).

Now being somewhat of a tinker type i have built both composite bows and prods. They are limited. People say 100 to 150lbs on these crossbows and to be honest thats sounds about right for a prod thats gonna last for awhile HOWEVER power to 250 to 300lbs is fully had and was used. You can see examples of this - such as the Ulrich V Duke of Wuttenburg bow that carrys a HEAVY composite prod.

It really was not until the advent of the steel lathe (prod) in the early 1300's that crossbows started getting scary.... Now early 1300's is the time that the EARLYIEST record of a steel prod used on a crossbow. this doesn't mean that all crossbows used them after that. I would think it would take time for the smiths whom made the prods to learn how, then you have the cost to make on. The germans made the best spring steel prod according to many books - including the wallace collection books) it would be about mid to late 1400's that spring steel prods were both availible and HEAVY pulling. This seems to be about right as this is when you start seeing windlass bows showing up, remeber a goatsfoot stops at about 400 to 500lbs - or more/less the same range i could see a belt hook stopping at.

From here you see a serious increase in plate armor. Some from guns im sure, but guns were still explosive to both target and to shooter. Armor was NOT gonna protect you from morter cannons. Some will say armor got thicker due to the gunnes, some say due to the longbows and crossbows. I say crossbows - based on you started seeing different ways the wars were fought... Ransoms were not being honored, crossbows got more powerful, armies of archers started growing and knights didn't want to die.

It all seems to stop in and around the late 1500 to early 1600's. But then again thats about the time the english broke off and came to america. Were once again we were not fighting heavy armed people - so the race for the powerful weapons was not needed. until the boston tea party, bunker hill ect.... Infact di you know that the longbow was actually going to be used during the turmoil in boston to fight the redcoats due to the power and accuracy of the longbow over the muskek? the problem was - we did not have that many able to pull it or use it effectively.

Anyways i degress.

Back to the germans..... if you look at the german, Italian and swiss crossbows, they are the ones that really took the heavy crossbow into its own. They developed the trigger systems - a set type finger trigger and the stocks that we see on modern guns today. It is said the crossbow is the for runner to the powder gun, and from the bullet bows and crossbows i have seen i believe it. Infact without these inovations the heavy war crossbows would not have exsisted as the trigger system on lighter bows can not handle it. Even today trying to get the copies of the trigger systems is pertty hard.... Making the bow and getting the system to work is even more hair raising.

David
Quote:

There's no evidence for this. Surviving bows from earlier times are about as big and strong as the Mary Rose bows.

Quote:
In the time of Richard Coeur de Lion and during the Third Crusade his army seemed to depend on crossbows and I haven't read about much longbow use in that Crusade ?

The crusading infantry used both bows and crossbows.

Quote:
but for 150 to be average one would expect there to be a lot of 180 or even 200 pound longbows.

Yes. According to Strickland and Hardy, the bows ranged from 100lbs to 180lbs, with most in the 150-160lb range.

Quote:
in 1503 the first of many English laws restricting possession and use of crossbows.

Why do you think this is? becuase the crossbows started becoming more powerful and by this time you had kings that died to the crossbow, you had religious figure heads that died to crossbows and you have many knights that dies to the crossbow....

In 1503? Who had died to crossbow bolts around that time? If there were laws restricting crossbow ownership in 16th century England, it was probably to try to counter the percieved decline of longbow skill.
Folks,
This thread has been very informative so far. However, I want to remind everyone involved that this topic, and all others here, need to be discussed without rancor and with civility. Some posts are flirting with being over the line.
Could be wrong, BUT ........ If at Hastings the Normans were using bows of the same power as the Mary Rose bows at the 150 pound range I would think the Saxon shield wall would have been decimated rather quickly and the Normans would have walked over the Saxon easily rather than having a fairly tougher fight.

Exactly how many samples of bows do we have between 1000 A.D. and the Marie Rose find ??? A bow at 150 dated 1250 lets say would prove that bows of this power were used but would it prove that all warbows would be this powerful.

Also, there could have been some evolution / progression in power as longbows appear to have become " the " British weapon. ( Average of 100 evolving to an average of 150 ? )

At the time of Richard there may well have been bows used in the Crusades but not in the numbers of later British armies and what I read of the Third Crusade put more emphasis on crossbow use at that time.

Now, the warbows may well have been as powerful as those of Crecy but for some reason their effectiveness in large numbers doesn't seem to have been realized at that early date for some unknown reason ? OR, just maybe the power level was just a bit lower " on average ".

Maybe not proof, but the power of weapons should have had a great effect on how battles were fought and should at least make the question of power level a possible reason for less effect / numbers / popularity on the battlefield.

Over the years, from Victorian ideas to more recent studies we can look at available evidence and arrive at different conclusions but unless we find large numbers of bows for every century or decade from the early Medieval period to the renaissance we should still be careful to not say in absolute terms that we have proof covering the entire period based on the Mary Rose find and a few isolated earlier finds.

Benjamin: I'm not saying you are wrong but I'm not sufficiently convinced to conceded that all debate is now futile because the proof is so strong that there are no reasons to continue asking questions and bringing up, hopefully logical, arguments. :D :cool:
Abstracts from what I have read.

Not to draw this even further off topic but Edward I was the first British ruler to take a deep interest and be effective in employing massed longbow tactics.
(against the Welsh ;))
Edited to furthr add that Edward I also had quite a contingent of crossbowmen but this is a century and more before the debate at hand.

"English Longbows" seem to be of Scandanavian influence and were not really so much a Welsh weapon. There was a section of Wales where they were popular before Edward I
(can't remember the chieftains name at the moment).

There is iconography that shows Welsh warriors with short bows being drawn to the chest. I believe this is also indicated on the tapestry of the bows at Hastings.
That long, ear drawn, bows might be harder to represent doesn't seem to make much sense.

None of it has any real bearing on the crossbow vs plate argument except some comparative numbers.

Cheers

GC
Y'all really should consider picking up The Great Warbow by Matthew Strickland and Robert Hardy. It covers the "shortbow" thing quite well. Strickland is an excellent historian.

Quote:
If at Hastings the Normans were using bows of the same power as the Mary Rose bows at the 150 pound range I would think the Saxon shield wall would have been decimated rather quickly and the Normans would have walked over the Saxon easily rather than having a fairly tougher fight.

Why? The Saxons were well-trained infantry protected by shields and mail. William's archers, crossbowmen, and slingers were probably not as numerous as in later English armies. Longbowmen never "decimated" well-armored infantry.
David Ruff wrote:
[Short bows were NOT a myth... short bows were used a lot in many parts of the world including england.

In my previous post I specifically limited my comment to SELF bows. Composite bows are another matter entirely and not common on Western European battlefields (though progressively more so the further east one looks). This is getting tiring. It is rare that I make any comment at all without a lot of research beforehand. For those who are actually interested in learning something here, the word "longbow" is another Victorian misnomer. Medieval sources used the word to distinguish it from CROSSBOWS, not from shorter self bows. David, please read some more updated work before spreading more misinformation. As Ben suggested you should start with Strickland's book. Pretty much all self bows used in battle were the so called "longbow', though a better term would be "warbow".

Regarding the 1503 legislation. As Ben said, it was to encourage people to practice with the longbow. It has nothing to do with the crossbow being hated by knights.
David Ruff wrote:
[It really was not until the advent of the steel lathe (prod) in the early 1300's that crossbows started getting scary.... Now early 1300's is the time that the EARLYIEST record of a steel prod used on a crossbow.

I'm still waiting for evidence of this. What is your source/cite? Which collection is it in? The earliest crossbow with a steel prod I can find dates to the 15th century. Every reputable book I've read says the same thing.

FWIW the crossbow had little, if anything, to do with the advent of plate armour. This FAQ covers the main points.
http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41041
Dan Howard wrote:
David Ruff wrote:
[It really was not until the advent of the steel lathe (prod) in the early 1300's that crossbows started getting scary.... Now early 1300's is the time that the EARLYIEST record of a steel prod used on a crossbow.

I'm still waiting for evidence of this. What is your source/cite? Which collection is it in? The earliest crossbow with a steel prod I can find dates to the 15th century. Every reputable book I've read says the same thing.

FWIW the crossbow had little, if anything, to do with the advent of plate armour. This FAQ covers the main points.
http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41041

M. Strickland did a test with a longbow verse a pig wearing a gamberson and 1.2mm breast and back plate and drove it all the way into the pig for some inches. Intertesting.... Now if im to use 1.5 to 2.0mm armor... A heavy crossbow is gonna destroy it. He used a 120lb bow for his test. I will reference this test he did when i release my test.

If i recall i said - the EARLIEST recorded steel prod was in the early 1300's. This comes from a history of the crossbows. It is easy to find on the net and i am searching for something in the royal armories, rather then a reference on the web.

There is a trade law in London claiming that all arrowheads made there had to be of a certain hardness. I will post this in the testing. You can find it if you wish, but i will be sure to include it when the tests come out.

Not every knight could afford the best armor... so the armor that they got was munitions grade armor. The best quality armor compared to munitions grade armor is like comparing what would happen if a person tried penetrating tank armor with a light assault rifle. They could not afford the best armors (which btw still survive today due to their being passed down father to son OR kept due to the ornateness of the armor) With the large majority not wearing the best armor a bow shot or crossbow shot would have been potent and likely lethal (see M stricklands test above on the pig).

Being that i want an honest test and this is NOT about proving anyone wrong - i will test munitions grade armor on lighter bows and crossbows. i have a real issue when ANYONE says armor could not be penetrated. The fact is, a large majority of people wearing armor was the best masters, it was made in a town, fast - to say otherwise is to say that each knight, each solder and everyone wearing armor had the money to fit it, get it built and afford it.... Thats not the case.

Strickland seems to be very good, but he did do some stuff that contradicts this thread of not being able to penetrate armor. I am starting to get emails from grad students and proffessors now that work in or around armories... So i am gonna start using these figures as they can be measured right from the source. That should prove to be a valid test assuming i use the same type of bows that were around.

As far as the longbow is concerned it depends on who you read or what you see it as... it was called an "english long bow" It was made from yew wood that was imported... tax laws were in place on goods that so many yew staves HAD to accompany the goods being brought in. It was made by masters and carved out only in certain times of the year. Trust me - i have made quite a few of them and snapped more then i have ever made. Have i seen them referred to as warbow? yes, however they were called english archers - with english longbows and they "loosed" they did not fire.... They stretched, they did not pull.... and they killed things.....

Ever seen a wooden shield get hit by one at 150 yards? or even at 60 yards?

There is a good reason we are not talking about composite bows- mostly as this thread is not about them.... However - they were more powerful then a long bow, they cast faster, they had equal to more pull and they were quite abit more devistating to the intended target. Have made these as well... infact i have 3 of them curing as we speak - two horn/wood and sinew and one fiberglass.

Dan look man, i am really not trying to be a thorn in your side... but we obviously have two opposing views, you on the armor and me on the crossbows. I have built bows and crossbows for years and i have both seen what they can do and i use them everyday - without fail. I competed with crossbows for 2 years and i shot semi pro with a modern bow. Granted i do not know much about armor, but i do know what i have personally seen. I consider myself a somewhat in the know about the power, range and capabilities of both weapons. I am not here to fight or embarass you, rather show that bodkins were designed to bust armor, arows and bolts did pierce armor and kill the wearer and that while not 100% or even 50% effective - it did happen. so on we go and lets test and lets talk about it :)

Last edited by David Ruff on Wed 07 Jun, 2006 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Ruff wrote:
M. Strickland did a test with a longbow verse a pig wearing a gamberson and 1.2mm breast and back plate and drove it all the way into the pig for some inches. Intertesting.... Now if im to use 1.5 to 2.0mm armor... A heavy crossbow is gonna destroy it. He used a 120lb bow for his test. I will reference this test he did when i release my test.

Except that there are no extant breastplates made of mild steel that are only 1.2mm thick. His test doesn't tell us anything about medieval armour.

I gave you what I considered an average breastplate for the time, not one of the best. If you want me to produce what I consider to be non typical then try these.

Breastplate from Hofjagd- und Rustkammer, Vienna (#A.1180) dated to 1585 - 6.0mm thick
Breastplate from Hofjagd und Rustkammer, Vienna (#A.1117) dated to 1578 - 6.1mm thick
Breastplate from Graz Armoury (cat.31) dated to 1635 - 6.3mm thick
Breastplate from Graz Armoury (cat.31) dated to 1635 - 7.3mm thick
Breastplate from Hofjagd- und Rustkammer, Vienna (#A.1406) dated to 1585 - 7.8mm thick
Breastplate from Hofjagd- und Rustkammer, Vienna (#A.1656) dated to 1575 - 8.0mm thick

Reproduce one of these and I wouldn't care what sort of crossbow you use.
Dan Howard wrote:
David Ruff wrote:

Except that there are no extant breastplates made of mild steel that are only 1.2mm thick. His test doesn't tell us anything about medieval armour.

I gave you what I considered an average breastplate for the time, not one of the best. If you want me to produce what I consider to be non typical then try these.

Breastplate from Hofjagd- und Rustkammer, Vienna (#A.1180) dated to 1585 - 6.0mm thick
Breastplate from Hofjagd und Rustkammer, Vienna (#A.1117) dated to 1578 - 6.1mm thick
Breastplate from Graz Armoury (cat.31) dated to 1635 - 6.3mm thick
Breastplate from Graz Armoury (cat.31) dated to 1635 - 7.3mm thick
Breastplate from Hofjagd- und Rustkammer, Vienna (#A.1406) dated to 1585 - 7.8mm thick
Breastplate from Hofjagd- und Rustkammer, Vienna (#A.1656) dated to 1575 - 8.0mm thick

Reproduce on of these and I wouldn't care what sort of crossbow you use.

Herm, i wonder if a person could wear a 8.0mm thick plate and still wear arms, legs, and all the other stuff.... Why do you suppose they needed something that thick? heck my .50cal black powder rifle would certainly fail on that thickness hehehe. Can try it tho.... would you accept a 12" sqaure plate of it?
David Ruff wrote:
Herm, i wonder if a person could wear a 8.0mm thick plate and still wear arms, legs, and all the other stuff.... Why do you suppose they needed something that thick? heck my .50cal black powder rifle would certainly fail on that thickness hehehe. Can try it tho.... would you accept a 12" sqaure plate of it?

These were proofed against the heaviest firearms of the time. They are all cavalry armours - the wearer has less of a burden because he's not afoot. Infantry breastplates rarely exceeded 4mm in thickness.

I would accept a 12" square plate if it was dished like a breastplate and not a flat sheet.
Dan Howard wrote:
David Ruff wrote:

These were proofed against the heaviest firearms of the time. They are all cavalry armours - the wearer has less of a burden because he's not afoot. Infantry breastplates rarely exceeded 4mm in thickness.

Man, yeah proofed agains cannons is more like it heheheh <--- kidding...

I would worry about being knocked off the horse and dying due to not being able to get up. Impressive thickness tho. Will try it, i would be very curious to catch the bolt strike off a heavy siege bow in quick frames... would make a NICE shot by shot of the bolt exploding.

Anyways back to the emails, Have been getting emails from two curators giving me information on both armor and crossbows. Still deciding on the bows to be built as they will run the tests and then be entered into Arts and science shows and then sold.

David
David Ruff wrote:
Anyways back to the emails, Have been getting emails from two curators giving me information on both armor and crossbows. Still deciding on the bows to be built as they will run the tests and then be entered into Arts and science shows and then sold.

David

Just a thought: You might give us ( ME ) a heads-up after those test and a first crack at maybe buying them before you offer them for sale.

I might not be able to afford it, but others here might be interested also. :cool: Then again maybe I could afford it, won't know until them as it depends on what other toys I will have in the buying pipeline some months from now and how my investments will perform. ;)

Oh, I don't expect some sort of firm commitment from you at all at this time, but if I have the full payment available at the same time you are planning to sell ................ :D

In any case, if not one of your test crossbows maybe an order some time in the future. ( Also not making any firm commitments, YET. )
Interesting post. I have seen this topic on so many sites lately I have been amazed by how interested people are in it. First off some things; I think both sides have some thigns right. I do not think armour was ever 100% from projectiles. SEcond I think in many occasions it was very effective in keeping missiles from penetrating.

Dan,

Not to detract from your posts as they are interesting but perhaps something that would help. The lists of breastplates you listed are all from outside the medieval period. Not one is even close to the era of crossbows and bows being used in war. I work with arms and armour, (was told out collection of englsih civil war armour was second to the Royal Armouries at one point) and these thicknesses seem the top range, although 3mm still likely would stop most missiles, few pre 15oo breastplates were that thick. For that matter into the 16th 2-3mm is fairly common for breastplate thicknesses. IT is the cavalry armour that tends to be extremely heavy. We have 9 full suits from circa 1600 and the thickest is 4-6mm on the chest but much, much less on all limbs. But this is outside the point of the topic, for thicknesses verse longbows and crossbows you need armour from pre 1500. Once again no intention to derail the main issue or your valuable posts.

As of now there is no real good source for this out I am aware of thicknesses of MEDIEVAL armour. The R.A. is likely to have something in time but I would not know when a publication date will be as the research is still to be under way. But from that breastplates, likely the second thickest part of armour (aside from the head) tends to be the breastplate between 1.2-2mm in the pre 1500 era. Now Once I get the table together perhaps I can post it but that will be after my current project ends in a few months. The museum I am at has a suit from 1535 (closer) and most is 2mm-2.5mm with one section almost at 3mm and one at 1.7mm. I can let all interested know how the research goes with thickness and since they sell their publications likely cannot copy the info but can direct to where it is at.

Going back to hardnes of arrowheads. In the guilds making the heads in London this is a reoccuring issue in their own laws dealing with the hardness of them. Look in the Calendar letter Books of London and the Calendar of Memoranda and Plea Rolls has a number of citations of use. Hardness is a constant issue so in their eyes they were hard, to oppose this they never state this of armour of the time (second half of14th). The steel crossbow is difficult but there is inference of this by the fact in some inventories, the best known likely that of the pope in mid 14th has a number of crossbows, some IDed of 'horn' I think the term is and some are not. This indicates composite construction and another of something else and as far as I know they were not using self bow crossbows at this point so just as likely that they were steel. Of course no way to tell as they do not give more detail or value but the best find would be in an debt inquest of post mortem inquest as they give prices. If one said with horn and one not and the prices were significantly different you'd be good, so if someone finds that let me know.... I though for a time in England they used Arblast and crossbow differently but it varies from decade to decade too much for a pattern I think.

I think the comparison between the top grade armour heavy in favor of the armour but the comparison for the vast majority would be in the lower quality, most of which were not heat treated and likely not as thick (back to not enough research done yet to make a firm assumption). I think M. Strickland and Hardy are great people to look at as both have access to the RA armour as guides as well as real weapons to look at, Hardy being one of the Directors. In the end it is more complicated than a yes it can no it cannot I think. From the distance and in a number of situations I am sure most knights felt farly confident behind their armour, I am sure at times less so.

Once again fun post,

Randall Moffett
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Page 7 of 13

Jump to: