Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Do you think a cutom maker could reproduce this sword? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Lance K.

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Do you think a cutom maker could reproduce this sword?         Reply with quote

A guy I know is interested in getting the Master Sword from Legend of Zelda made, so I thought I would ask if its even possible to do a sword like this? What do you think?

Thanks

Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is not as unwieldy looking as some of the game swords. It looks a bit like stuff that Jody Samson does: http://jodysamson.com/swords.htm

Attachment: 60.95 KB
dwarven-broadsword.jpg

Attachment: 67.39 KB
leaf-blade.jpg

Derek St.

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is on SFI http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?t=50444.
Mogarth
Jason Dingledine

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We may be talking about the same guy, but I was approached earlier this month about making a version of this sword. Although it is a moderately complex project, it wouldn't be too difficult to accomplish.

If all goes as planned, I should start working on this project in a couple of months.

Jason Dingledine
Lance K.

PostPosted: Fri 30 Mar, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, though I cannot get that link to open, so I don't know whats in it. I guess I'll try when I get home.

Jason, the guy I know would be somebody else, as he has yet to contact any smiths. Its good to know the design is doable though, so thanks. Would I be able to give him your name as somebody he can contact about possibly getting this made sometime in the future?
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, I suppose this is a design that can easily be turned into a reasonably functional weapon. If your friend is not all that stuck on following every single detail, the elements of the cross and langet can be made somewhat thinner in cross-section while preserving their basic form so that the sword wouldn't get hilt-heavy. The blade itself is already fine, though if it was me doing it I would have preferred to get a better balance between breadth and thickness by making it somewhat narrower like a Type XIX--or by adding one or two fullers so that I can make the parts of the blade outside the fullers somewhat thicker. None of which would have been beyond the capabilities of a good swordsmith.
Chris Olsen

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

there is a version of the master sword out there right now, it sells for about 70 bucks, I have run across ot several times. I hope that puts you int he right direction, puch come to shove you could purchase it and re-blade it.
I did this with my LOTR Glamdring sword and it turned into a really fun sword to cut with.
Rob Miller
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 31 Mar, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i would imagine that was possible.its a heavy and impractical design,but certainly possible to make.

Attachment: 102.05 KB
zeldas2.11jpg.jpg

Attachment: 105.12 KB
zeldas3.11jpg.jpg

Attachment: 15.78 KB
zeldas4.11.jpg

Laurie W
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would have to agree wth Lafayette C Curtis The only way that sword could be made ( and still be functional) is to make a few fundamental changes. The basics aren't too "off" but to make it as shown in a game, your friend would have problems lifting it much less using it.

But it does look "kewl" ingame though.
Vay Duong

PostPosted: Sun 01 Apr, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Lundemo of OdinBlades. That's the only name you need to know.

He did this sword for me, based on the manga Berserk.

It is 5ft long, 8lbs, and balances at 5" from hilt. Triple fullers instead of one giant one.

Here's the inspiration.

Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The cross is just a behemooth.

It shoud be realized in some lightweight alloy to make the weapon barely useable.

If you looked a the Lundemo blade you could see that it is very, very similar in proportions to a viking historical example, with a gladius like point.

If the maker stays faithful to the imaginay weapon he shall have to resort to many, many artifices in ordere to avoid buiding a fire poker.
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

your best bet is to slim down the blade, to something coser to short a XVIIIe; say a 80-90 cm blade.
http://www.myArmoury.com/review_at1592.html
This will leave you with a plausible sword, that will look a lot slimmer than the game original, but has the potential to handle quite nicely.
The crossguard will need to be made thinner, as well. In the drawing it looks 2,5 cm thick, which will just ruin the sword if you want it to HANDLE like a Master Sword. However, if made thinner, the design is in no way hopeless.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I still think a Type XIX would be a better model for a blade modification than Type XVIIIe, since it would allows the swordsmith to preserve the essentially broad and flat blade profile without adding a medial riser.

BTW, those reproductions look very clunky, for God's sake. They're much stubbier (and perhaps clumsier as well) than the sword as seen in-game!
Rob Miller
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:
I still think a Type XIX would be a better model for a blade modification than Type XVIIIe, since it would allows the swordsmith to preserve the essentially broad and flat blade profile without adding a medial riser.

BTW, those reproductions look very clunky, for God's sake. They're much stubbier (and perhaps clumsier as well) than the sword as seen in-game!

if you talk to some of the 'Gamers' they are very insistent on having something that is close to the first generation game,even when you tell them that it is huge and impractical it makes no difference,it is a fantasy weapon in a Fantasy game,the artist would not be trying to make a working drawing,just something impressive (or not),check out the first Zelda sword,you will see that this is pretty damn close,maybe even a little less clumsy.maybe you are not familiar with the original version?

Attachment: 109.17 KB
s03-TheLegendOfZeldaMasterSword.jpg

Scott Hanson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.com/Links-Master-Sword-Lege...amp;sr=8-1

I believe this is the version Chris Olsen was talking about. It's definitely a wall-hanger. I think for most fans of the game this would be pretty satisfactory though.
Chris Olsen

PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

yup thats the one, I have also seen it several other places.
Lafayette C Curtis

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rob Miller wrote:
,check out the first Zelda sword,you will see that this is pretty damn close,maybe even a little less clumsy.maybe you are not familiar with the original version?

Nope--I'm not familiar with the earlier versions, though maybe I've played them once or twice (and forgotten them right away.) As for the sword, aesthetic preferences will certainly play a part, but on my part I'd rather use the newer and more practical-looking version. I believe even fantasy gamers (I'm one) would consider it a plus if a fantasy sword they get turns out to be a practical and usable tool.
Rob Miller
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 04 Apr, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would agree with you too,but in my experience a lot of the people that are interested in this sword are older gamers who grew up with the first generation game,now they have a bit of money they can afford something that they could only dream of back then,its a showpiece primarily.
making a working version of that Sword to all intents and purposes just isnt feasible,unless you have a 3mm blade and aluminium fittings,it will still be tip heavy due to the aesthetics,you could also reduce the size,from 39" overall to maybe 30",but then it becomes more toy like.It is always going to be an awkward style to make practically,if you are working from the original drawings,unless you move away from the graphics and start to go off into your own 'Fantasy' of how the piece should look.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Do you think a cutom maker could reproduce this sword?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic