Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need Help Identifying a knife blade (3000 b.c.) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Eric Dean

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Need Help Identifying a knife blade (3000 b.c.)         Reply with quote

I just purchased this, and was told it dated from the copper age, approx. 3000 b.c. It's 6.5 inches in length, and non-magnetic. Can anyone, based on the design and age, give me a clue as to its place of origin? Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out anything more about it?
Can I give you any more info about it that might help in its identification?
Thanks, and I look forward to becoming a productive part of this forum.

Attachment: 51.39 KB
[ Download ]

Last edited by Eric Dean on Mon 02 Apr, 2007 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Barrett Hiebert

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greetings,

Hi! I just wanted to say welcome to this forum, but sadly I have no advice, or wisdom to give you, though I wish you the best of luck! Cheers!

Best regards,

Barrett Michael Hiebert
Mark Shier
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: knife         Reply with quote

If it is non-metallic, what is it made of?
mark
Eric Dean

PostPosted: Mon 02 Apr, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: knife         Reply with quote

Mark Shier wrote:
If it is non-metallic, what is it made of?
mark

Sorry...typed it in a hurry. I meant "non-magnetic". By its weight, I'm quite sure its metallic Happy Probably copper or bronze, though I don't want to clean it to find out.
Steve L.

PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Possibly is it an "east-alpine" (means the area from Autria to the Carpathian basin, with Slovenia, Northern Croatia and Hungary) bronze knife, (1000 - 900BC).
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yup, most likely eastern Europe, as that's where most bronze age artifacts come from these days. I must recommend against collecting these artifacts, as they are being excavated illegally, which results in the destruction of important ancient sites. For artifacts of this period, it's best to stick to collecting reproductions and admire the originals in museums Happy
Eric Dean

PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, I had no idea these were being excavated illegally.
Based on the design (tip up, short tang, VERY thin edge and comparitively thick spine) I figured it might have been a filet knife of some kind.
Also, is there any way to distinguish copper from bronze without necessarily cleaning it?
Steve L.

PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a knife-form from the later bronze age - non alloyed copper blades was definetily "out" at this era! Cool
Jeroen Zuiderwijk
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 03 Apr, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Dean wrote:
Wow, I had no idea these were being excavated illegally.
Based on the design (tip up, short tang, VERY thin edge and comparitively thick spine) I figured it might have been a filet knife of some kind.
It's possible. Although remind that bronze artifacts were very expensive in those days, so someone only had one knife, if he could afford one at all. So it's quite likely they were used for all sorts of tasks, like a modern pocket knife. There are a lot of different blade shapes though, which indicated different uses. B.t.w. the curved tip is a result of repeated hammering of the cutting edge to sharpen it.

Quote:
Also, is there any way to distinguish copper from bronze without necessarily cleaning it?
As Steve mentioned, everything in this period was bronze. Single edged knives appear in Europe somewhere in the middle bronze age. Before that, knives were in the form of symmetrical double edged daggers, of which the earliest examples were copper. There are single edged copper knives though, but I only know them from Egypt.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need Help Identifying a knife blade (3000 b.c.)
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic