Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Central Asian Weapons and Warfare Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sam Blanchard

PostPosted: Fri 16 Feb, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Central Asian Weapons and Warfare         Reply with quote

I'm doing a research paper for a college class on a topic of my choice about Central Asia (Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan) and the cultures therein. I would like to investigate the traditional weapons and warfare of one or more of the cultures from this area, and I was hoping that some of the forumites here might be able to get me started on my research path with any resources you think would help me. Thanks to a suggestion over at SwordForum, I have Islamic Arms and Armour on reserve at the library. Thanks in advance for anything you can suggest!
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi

I suggest

Arms and Armour of the Crusading Era ( eastern version)
Companion to Medieval Arms and Armour
both of these are written or edited by David Nicolle.
The Ancient Hungarians, would be ok too, but deals primarily on finds once they have reached the Carpathians.

The area you are describing was under enormous turkic influence. The khazars, and other Turkic tribes were using weapons such as - sabres, pallaches, chekans, some maces too. Cavalry warfare was predominant, so was the use of the laminated bow. Armour included lamellar, maille, direct rivete spagenhelms, even some one piece helms. The quality of equipment seems to be of very good make also.

I also have a short paper on weapons from the Caucases if you want me to send it. And a couple of other things too.

Cheers

Nick
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One of my favorites, a complete set of armour from Kazazovo gravefield.
Either khazar-Saltovo culture make.

N

Attachment: 73.32 KB
armourkhazarsaltovskayaculture.jpg

Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This page might be of some interest:

http://www.redkaganate.org/martial/weapons/

It's not necessarily reliable since it's something of a potpourri, but the archaeological articles (and the ones on axes) are both informative and interesting.
Sam Blanchard

PostPosted: Wed 21 Feb, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks to everybody who has posted so far! Any more information and/or potential sources about Steppe warfare and weapons would be greatly appreciated!
Nick Trueman

PostPosted: Thu 22 Feb, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi

Theres not enough quality reading on medieval steppe warfare! There are some good Russian papers, though they seem to concentrate there efforts on western steppe/ nth Russia.

Some of the Osprey books may give you a nice overall picture,,,, Attila and the nomad hordes being one title, also Mounted archers of the steppe. Both are ok but cover a broad time period and theres only so much you can cover in a short book.

Another publication to look out for is Arms and Armour of Medieval Russia by Kirpitchnikov. Most of the armour pictured in this book is of Qipchaq, or Czarne Kloboki ( black Hats) make. Turkic Nomads wich allied or fought at certain points of time with the Rus and Hungarians.

Have fun its a great subject, my favorite!

OH look up Hermitage Museum on google and type in there quick search box either "Alanic" or "peoples of the northern caucuses" or "C/Kaftan" Not sure which way they spell kaftan on there. Anyway you will find a helmet cover made of silk and some kaftans found at Moschevaja Balka wich are in brilliant condition.

N
Sam Blanchard

PostPosted: Thu 22 Feb, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nick Trueman wrote:
Hi

Theres not enough quality reading on medieval steppe warfare! There are some good Russian papers, though they seem to concentrate there efforts on western steppe/ nth Russia.

Some of the Osprey books may give you a nice overall picture,,,, Attila and the nomad hordes being one title, also Mounted archers of the steppe. Both are ok but cover a broad time period and theres only so much you can cover in a short book.

Another publication to look out for is Arms and Armour of Medieval Russia by Kirpitchnikov. Most of the armour pictured in this book is of Qipchaq, or Czarne Kloboki ( black Hats) make. Turkic Nomads wich allied or fought at certain points of time with the Rus and Hungarians.

Have fun its a great subject, my favorite!

OH look up Hermitage Museum on google and type in there quick search box either "Alanic" or "peoples of the northern caucuses" or "C/Kaftan" Not sure which way they spell kaftan on there. Anyway you will find a helmet cover made of silk and some kaftans found at Moschevaja Balka wich are in brilliant condition.

N

I'm not limited to Medieval only, and can write on any period up to the present. The paper prompt is very general, and the only guidelines are to region (Central Asia) and make some connection to the Russian Empire, either how that people has been affected by the Russians, or how that people have affected the Russians. I have chosen the latter approach, and interpret it to also include specific discussions of the culture, because for most of their history, while their culture was being shaped, they were not under the control of Russia. This seems to be rambling a bit, and I apologize for that, but information about any time period would be great. I basically just need enough information to work with about any period, although my primary interest is medieval. Thanks!
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 22 Feb, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam,

David Nicolle has a new book medieval warfare sourcebook and the one volume is exclusively the east.

RPM
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Thu 22 Feb, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Randall Moffett wrote:
Sam,

David Nicolle has a new book medieval warfare sourcebook and the one volume is exclusively the east.

RPM

Randall,

It seems that you are talking about a brand new volume. I can find only these two volumes on Amazon.com:
Medieval Warfare Source Book Volume 1: Warfare In Western Christendom
Medieval Warfare Source Book Volume 2: Christian Europe and Its Neighbors
Neither of these seems to be the 'exclusively east' work that you are mentioning, so I assume that you must be referring to a third volume. Do you have any more info that you can share?

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Sam Blanchard

PostPosted: Thu 22 Feb, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Randall Moffett wrote:
Sam,

RPM

Randall,

It seems that you are talking about a brand new volume. I can find only these two volumes on Amazon.com:
Medieval Warfare Source Book Volume 1: Warfare In Western Christendom
Neither of these seems to be the 'exclusively east' work that you are mentioning, so I assume that you must be referring to a third volume. Do you have any more info that you can share?

I would appreciate this information as well!
Max von Bargen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Thu 22 Feb, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:

The title of this one is misleading--Volume 2 actually is almost exclusively the east, although it does include a little bit of information about the conflicts between east and west. But Volume 2 is the one he's referring to. I just got it a month or two ago and haven't had time to read the section on Central Asia yet, but the rest of it seems pretty good.

Max
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 22 Feb, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edited by Nicolle is:

Companion to Medieval Arms and Armour
ISBN 0-85115-872-2
Boydell Press

It includes several good articles that clearly outlines the influence of eastern warfare on western europe, both through early contacts with steppe peoples and later through the crusades.
Interesting details and some good illustrations, although I would personally liked to see it even more thoroughly illustrated.
Magyars and Khazars are discussed, with some focus on weaponry and metallurgy.

I have found it very inspiring and educational, however and would recommend it to anyone interested in the correlations between arms and armour of different cultures.
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 22 Feb, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The other book with great pictures of the types of armour used in Central Asia is "Warriors of the Himalayas: Rediscovering the Arms and Armor of Tibet" by Donald LaRocca.
http://www.myArmoury.com/books/item.php?ASIN=0300111533

I would also suggest "Oriental Armour" by H. R. Robinson
http://www.myArmoury.com/books/item.php?ASIN=0486418189
Randall Moffett

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Thu 22 Feb, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve and Sam,

Like Max said the other volume includes, india, china, and Japan etc. It is the right one. I own it. It is an odd title as it seems to include only byzantium east from what I remember. I do not think it has much specifics on the area you are looking but it has a general overview of the area. I like Nicolle for his footwork but find many of his conclusions somewhat a stretch (sometimes more than others). I have to say thought in the East where he specialized in he seems pretty accurate from what I can tell.

RPM

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Central Asian Weapons and Warfare
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic