Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > OlliN Custom Project: Custom Saber Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Matthew Grzybowski
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: OlliN Custom Project: Custom Saber         Reply with quote

Hello! We just finished up a custom order in the OlliN Custom Shop and thought we would share. This is the Custom Saber.

Weight: 3lb 5oz
Over All Length: 46 1/2"
Blade Length: 37 3/8"
Point of Balance: 4 3/4" from base of blade
Center of Percussion: 23"
Thickness of Blade: 5/16"

Blade:1075 steel
Other: Hilt by Christian Fletcher

Additional pictures can be found at our website at http://www.ollinsworddesign.com/osd-custom-LCS.html. Enjoy!

Best,

Matt

OlliN Sword Design
Handmade collectible arms, custom swords, and sculpture
www.ollinsworddesign.com
Michael Eging

PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ooooooo.... I like this one very much. I have that Lutel Swiss saber that is just crying out for a makeover like this!!

Cool

M. Eging
Hamilton, VA
www.silverhornechoes.com
Member of the HEMA Alliance
http://hemaalliance.com/
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The blade profile seems to have some interesting details along the back, but I can't see them clearly. Do you have any more pictures that you can share?
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Joe Fults

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nifty bit of work there.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

Reading list: 327 books

Spotlight topics: 32

(12 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 17 Feb, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That excellent hilt of Christian Fletcher's really needed a top-notch custom blade to match. Nice work.

I can't really see the details of the blade. The photos on the site look very much like thumbnails. Please consider making them each clickable to launch a higher-resolution version.

Cheers!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Matthew Grzybowski
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 18 Feb, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the comments on the new piece!

Steve and Nathan - I found some better pictures of the piece and updated the site. I'm working on putting together a Hi Res section for this piece. I should hopefully have it up shortly.

Best,

Matt

OlliN Sword Design
Handmade collectible arms, custom swords, and sculpture
www.ollinsworddesign.com
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 18 Feb, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really nice work and I really like that Christian Fletcher hilt. Since this hilt was supplied by the customer who wanted a blade upgrade this may be a one time thing ? Just wondering if you could have some sort of collaboration with Christian to supply you with more hilts like this one or other models or you could make blades for Christian ? ( I don't think this would compete with A.T. blades as Christian's main source of blades but might be good for special custom projects ? Just a suggestion or question ). Obviously all of this is just an idea and would depend on the parties involved wanting to do this and coming to a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Or do you think you might make your own complex hilts in the future ? I assume you could, but Christian already has a great deal of experience making really nice hilts and people might enjoy having a piece half CF and half OlliN.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: hmmm ....         Reply with quote

Hi Mr. G ...

I hope you take the time to reply, because I've worked with Christian Fletcher many a time
on my European Style swords and currently discussed a hilt design for a saber project I'd
like to resurrect from the ashes of my own decisions ...

HOWEVER ! I certainly understand -- as a consequence of my own studies -- that the blade
of a saber does NOT necessarily have to have the whopping curve of a Brett Hull hockey
stick.

AND YET !!! the saber of MY thoughts is most certainly and swoooopily curved. My thoughts
on your customer's beautiful project, and it is beautifully done !

1. Did the customer desire a straighter curve ? ( yes, I know, almost doesn't make sense :
straight curve. hehe ... )

2. Can you do a much much more pronounced curve ?????

For instance ....

Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: hmmm ....         Reply with quote

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
... AND YET !!! the saber of MY thoughts is most certainly and swoooopily curved. ...

M.G.M.K. - that concept sketch is very cool. Looks like it came from someone European, by the look of the draftsman/artist's 'hand', and the fact that the dimensions are in mm. I especially love the hilt and the blade cross-section. You should have that one built Big Grin .

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch

PostPosted: Mon 05 Mar, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: hmmm ....         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz wrote:
... AND YET !!! the saber of MY thoughts is most certainly and swoooopily curved. ...

M.G.M.K. - that concept sketch is very cool. Looks like it came from someone European, by the look of the draftsman/artist's 'hand', and the fact that the dimensions are in mm. I especially love the hilt and the blade cross-section. You should have that one built Big Grin .

Hi Mr. G ... The sketch / drawing isn't mine, I could probably dig up the website, but as I recall it took some
digging around online; and finding a site by someone who had obviously done some scanning. I've also
got my mittens on a couple of Polish Books about the Polish Hussars and -- most notably -- their sabers.
You're right, the above sword would be an awesome project, and a real challenge, but MY BABY is right here --

I'd still like a more noticeably curved blade, but THIS sketch has the spirit of the sword I would really like to
see built.

My apologies to the gents at Ollin, and the owner of that regal Swiss Saber. You ever want to part with it,
PM ME ! B-) I do not mean to hi-jack this thread, but I've got a file load of Polish Hussar sword-pics and
sometimes am dying to share them !
Mark G.
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mathew, you can just call me Mark. Having someone call me mister makes me feel old or something.

To answer you questions, the customer had a specific, historic blade in mind when he approached us with this project., which was fairly straight. There is a slight curve, but it's very subtle.

That's quite a curve on the first saber. I don't see a problem in doing a blade as pronounced as the one you showed.

By the way, those sketches are great! If you would like to share any more, I for one would love to see them.

www.ollinsworddesign.com
Tim Lison

Reading list: 6 books

Spotlight topics: 1

(11 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As always, OlliN did a great job on this sword. Glad to hear the kind words about it, The guys at OlliN deserve it! I'm including a pic of the original sword in this post for comparison. Christian used a few sources for the grip, but for the blade it was just this one. I'm very happy with how this project came out, the sword handles like a dream.

Attachment: 3.07 KB
normal_SwissSabre_c1530_full.jpg

Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Tue 06 Mar, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Lison wrote:
As always, OlliN did a great job on this sword. Glad to hear the kind words about it, The guys at OlliN deserve it! I'm including a pic of the original sword in this post for comparison. Christian used a few sources for the grip, but for the blade it was just this one. I'm very happy with how this project came out, the sword handles like a dream.

Well, then, congratulations are in order for you, Tim. It looks spectacular.

- Sir Toby Belch

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I second the motion, TL. I wish you would take some great pics of
this sword, especially the blade ...

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > OlliN Custom Project: Custom Saber
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic