Early XVI century Italian armours.
Hello everyone.

I was browsing around and i couldn´t find any early XVI century italian style armours. I was told that Maximillian armour developed during the first half of the XVI century, but, in the other hand, Milanese style armours (Like the Glasgow armor) from XV century and Italian late XVI century designs are totally different.
So, if anyone can help me, with any link, photo or anything with the configuration of the early XVI century italian style armours i´ll be very grateful.

Thanks.
I'm in a hurry, but my quick response is to look at our article about Charles V. It discusses and shows many examples of Italian origin.
Hi Rodolfo! :)

I found one photo of an early sixteenth century Italian armour on the Metropolitan Museum of Art's web site, and a couple drawings of pieces of early sixteenth century Italian armour that's originally from the back of Claude Blair's European Armour Circa 1066 to Circa 1700.

The photo is of elements of a light-cavalry armour. It's Milanese, but it has fluting in the German fashion. It dates from circa 1510.

The first drawing depicts a breastplate of a half-armour. It's North Italian, and is dated circa 1505. This piece is from Churburg.

The second drawing is of a mitten gauntlet. It's also North Italian, and dated circa 1500-10. this piece is from the Royal Armouries Collection.

I hope this was a bit of a help!

Stay safe!

Attachment: 22.58 KB
Elements of Italian (Milanese) Light Cavalry Armour, circa 1510.jpg
Elements of Italian (Milanese) Light-Cavalry Armour, circa 1510.
Copyright © 2000–2006 The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Attachment: 18.07 KB
Breastplate of a half-armour.  North Italian circa 1505.jpg
Breastplate of a half-armour. North Italian circa 1505.

Attachment: 15.95 KB
Mitten gauntlet.  North Italian, circa 1500-10.jpg
Mitten gauntlet. North Italian, circa 1500-10.
Thanks for the link and the images guys! :D

Maybe this will sound a bit silly or weird, i was told that peascod breastplates were an italic design followed by others armourers around Europe, Do you know how they put a belt with such type of breastplate? I mean, doesn´t the the v-shaped between the breastplate and the fauld difficults the usage of it?

Thanks.

Attachment: 87.53 KB
Malta full armour.jpg

Rodolfo Martínez wrote:
doesn´t the the v-shaped between the breastplate and the fauld difficults the usage of it?

Thanks.

Actually, that extremely pronounced, downturned belly should help keep the belt in place.
Sean is right in that one, it's very easy to keep the belt in place with the peascod breastplate. :cool: My own experience however suggests to me that a peascod breastplate is a total pain to ride in, though. Not having a belly myself, I find that it always wants to bang the pommel of my saddle, and when I lean forward to dismount, I tend to smash my fingers between the pommel and the point of the breastplate. OW!

Cheers!

Gordon
The one or two faulds that peascod form breast plates usually have don't have to raise to far past the bottom edge of the brest plate to allow kneeling in them so clearing the actual peascoding by the first fauld lame isn't necessary although most i've seen are cut deep enough to do so. So no the peascoding doesn't mess with the functionanlity of it.

The size of the peascoding varys somewhat based on national preference from what I can tell. The English "Greenwich" style peascodes being the deepest i've seen for the most part while on the continent especially in Germany it seems to have been shallower and with as much preference for "pidgeon breasted" as peascoded.
Thanks!

Do you know when since the peascod breastplate started to be used, and if there were ¨classical¨ Milanese breastplates still in circulation with the peaccod breast?

Thanks.

P.D.

I´ve seen some Malta full armours with simetrical pauldrons, no presence of lance rest, Do you know if that was due to pisto usage, or the lance could still be used with such configuration?
Sometimes in Museums, symetrical pauldron armours are shown riding full armored horses wielding lances, but i´m not sure how accurate it is.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: