Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > can fullers be added Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Raymond Deancona

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: can fullers be added         Reply with quote

This is a question to any makers or manufacturers: Can fullers be put into a sword blade after it is completed? And if so, who does that sort of work? The reason I ask is I have an old sword I absolutely love, but it is HEAVY. It was made with a hexagonal cross section, but no fullers to lighten the blade.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The short answer is: Yes.

For many of the projects Erik Stevenson created for me, he took already heat-treated ATrim blades and added fullers, reshaped profiles, and did other heavy modifications without ruining the heat-treatment.

It just has to be done with patience and care with frequent breaks taken to cool the blade down.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Raymond Deancona

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Nathan, do you have any contact information for Erik Stevenson , I would love to get in touch to discuss a project like the ones you described.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Raymond Deancona wrote:
Thanks Nathan, do you have any contact information for Erik Stevenson , I would love to get in touch to discuss a project like the ones you described.

He's no longer doing this type of work, unfortunately for all of us! He's the proprietor of Phoenix Metal Creations.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Raymond Deancona

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

D'oh! Well I will contact him anyway via Phoenix, and with some luck he may know some one in the industry who can and will do that kind of work. So, if ANYONE else has any name or contacts I would very much appreciate the lead. Thanks again Nathan for pointing me in the right direction. IF I find some one who still does this, will pass along the info to the forum. Ray
Justin King
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Thu 08 Feb, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have been wondering about this myself, to the point of buying a cheap circular saw and abrasive blades, and some angle iron to make some sort of a jig with. I have some clunker blades laying around but haven't got around to trying it yet. As long as the heat is controllable it should be okay, grinding on hardened steel is done as a matter of course during blade making. The main difference here is that a tiny slip will scar an otherwise finished blade. I have a project that may motivate me to try it soon, but I would need lots of practice before I were confident enough to try it on someone elses blade, I think.
Jason Dingledine

PostPosted: Fri 09 Feb, 2007 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: can fullers be added         Reply with quote

Raymond Deancona wrote:
This is a question to any makers or manufacturers: Can fullers be put into a sword blade after it is completed? And if so, who does that sort of work? The reason I ask is I have an old sword I absolutely love, but it is HEAVY. It was made with a hexagonal cross section, but no fullers to lighten the blade.

As Nathan said, yes.....and no...... and maybe......

It can always be done, but sometimes shouldn't be because it will weaken the blade.

It all depends on the cross-section of the blade. As you are talking about a hexagonal blade you own, then there will be the least detrimental impact to the strength of the blade. If the blade had been (or is) a diamond cross-section, then you'll be loosing a lot of material.

If you started with a diamond cross-section blade that was 1/4" thick and simply started cutting fullers in to the ridge-line, then you are very quickly going to end up with a blade that could be under 3/16" thick (depending on width and diameter of the fullers). This will cause a number of problems, the least of which is a blade with less lateral strength, that will deflect more easily (ie whippy).

Again, there is a large range of impact that different details can affect, but adding fullers do more than simply "lighten" a blade.

Jason Dingledine
Chris M.

PostPosted: Sun 11 Feb, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

jason is right on if your thinking of grinding.

fullers are generally put in with a fuller and fuller hammer at red heat on the steel. this would only widen the blade not make it lighter

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > can fullers be added
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic