Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion's new prices Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Albion's new prices         Reply with quote

Looks like Albion has updated their prices to reflect the increase they announced on their site. Hopefully some people took advantage of the pre-February 5th price structure while it was still there. Happy
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Indeed some people did! It seems as though we're going to have to wait for 'em though... I was given an estimated 16 weeks until delivery for the order I placed Yesterday. I hope that's an indication that our friends at Albion are getting the business they deserve rather than of internal difficulties.
Regardless, it was nice to have the opportunity to take advantage of the old prices. For my part, it gave me just the nudge I needed to make a purchase I'd been on the verge of calling in for about 6 months now. I'm glad I did it.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glad I'm not shopping.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

C.L. Miller wrote:
Indeed some people did! It seems as though we're going to have to wait for 'em though... I was given an estimated 16 weeks until delivery for the order I placed Yesterday. I hope that's an indication that our friends at Albion are getting the business they deserve rather than of internal difficulties.
Regardless, it was nice to have the opportunity to take advantage of the old prices. For my part, it gave me just the nudge I needed to make a purchase I'd been on the verge of calling in for about 6 months now. I'm glad I did it.

What did you order, if you don't mind me asking too much?

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I thought it was good of them to let us all know about the price increase well before it took place. For some, it may be a disappointment to have to save up even more money; to others, it was a "now or never."

As I type this, I have yet to see the new prices...

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anyone remember how much the Crecy was before the increase? Current price is $688.
Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Gladii are $666.

Is Albion trying to make a statment about the Roman Empire?? Happy

New York Historical Fencing Association
www.newyorklongsword.com

Byakkokan Dojo
http://newyorkbattodo.com/
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
The Gladii are $666.

I also wondered if that was some kind of inside joke.

C.L. wrote:
I hope that's an indication that our friends at Albion are getting the business they deserve rather than of internal difficulties.

I wouldn't be too concerned. They've got other projects in the works that have been keeping them mucho busy. If anything I think they need more employees to keep up with demand.
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Carl Goff wrote:
Anyone remember how much the Crecy was before the increase? Current price is $688.

It was $620. It seems like pretty much a 10% increase across the board, except on a few models.

And yeah I wondered the same thing about the gladii; I do remember Mike saying something to the effect that they were evil or "just not right" at the NYC knife show Laughing Out Loud

As for how I feel about the price increase, I can see that it's necessary, but pushed most of their swords out of my price range for the moment (unless I get that full scholarship to college Confused ). Either way, I've been considering a pollarm for this year anyway Happy

www.addisondelisle.com
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I kind of figure when one is talking about spending $600 or more for a sword, a 70 dollar or so price increase is not that big of a difference.
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
What did you order, if you don't mind me asking too much?

I ordered a Ritter. I love long, slashing blades, the pommel type is a particular favorite of mine and one of my favorite areas of historical interest is in the last days of the Hohenstaufens... so this one's been at the top of my list for a while now. I would have gone for it sooner, but money's been a bit tight this past year and I've had a few custom pieces coming due to boot; the next four months or so should be good ones however, and a long time coming at that.
Did anyone else here take advantage? Care to share your choice?
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Michael Edelson wrote:
The Gladii are $666.

I also wondered if that was some kind of inside joke.

I noticed that too. Not as many nice round numbers. They've got a lot of weird dollar amounts now.

$555
$666
$777
$888
$1221
$1332
$1776

Maybe Albion is using numerology to increase sales Laughing Out Loud Wink

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I wouldn't be too concerned. They've got other projects in the works that have been keeping them mucho busy. If anything I think they need more employees to keep up with demand.

Heh. One of my biggest worries in ordering anything from Albion is the ever-present fear of what new projects might be announced a month or two down the line.
Carl Goff

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 05 Feb, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Addison C. de Lisle wrote:
Carl Goff wrote:

It was $620. It seems like pretty much a 10% increase across the board, except on a few models.

And yeah I wondered the same thing about the gladii; I do remember Mike saying something to the effect that they were evil or "just not right" at the NYC knife show Laughing Out Loud

As for how I feel about the price increase, I can see that it's necessary, but pushed most of their swords out of my price range for the moment (unless I get that full scholarship to college Confused ). Either way, I've been considering a pollarm for this year anyway Happy

Thanks.

What you might consider doing is applying for a bunch of minor scholarships, enough that you can get a hefty financial aid refund. I'm thinking of doing that next semester in order to raise money.

Oh, East of sands and sunlit gulf, your blood is thin, your gods are few;
You could not break the Northern wolf and now the wolf has turned on you.
The fires that light the coasts of Spain fling shadows on the Eastern strand.
Master, your slave has come again with torch and axe in his right hand!
-Robert E. Howard
S. Clare

PostPosted: Tue 06 Feb, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I went with an Agincourt. After about a year of research, agonizing and angst, I decided to add it to my small collection.
The price increase pushed me a little, it's true, and like others, I was also quoted about 16 weeks for delivery. I am looking forward to practising with it. I had considered a Talhoffer, a Crecy or even a Sempach, but I just liked the look of the Agincourt.

S. Clare
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Tue 06 Feb, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joel Chesser wrote:
I kind of figure when one is talking about spending $600 or more for a sword, a 70 dollar or so price increase is not that big of a difference.

I'm not so sure. Take the Munich. When I placed my order in Aug 05, I reserved the price at $800. That was taking advantage of their $100 discount promotion for reservations. The price now is $1221. A what 35% price increase over the original $900 and over a 50% increase over my reservation. That's a huge increase in a year and 1/2 especially for a sword that isn't in production yet.

Their minimum price increase of 10% a year is a lot when you take a look at the long term price increase and not just the 1 year increment.
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 06 Feb, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joel Chesser wrote:

Actually, when you have to scrimp and save every nickel, dime, and penny to afford a $600 sword, a $70 increase is a lot.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 06 Feb, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I personally applaud Albion and others like Gus for announcing the increase ahead of time, but it does make me sad to know I will have to now wine and dine the fiance even more to get her to consent to more swords in the future! lol
Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 06 Feb, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jason Elrod wrote:
Joel Chesser wrote:

I'm not so sure. Take the Munich. When I placed my order in Aug 05, I reserved the price at $800. That was taking advantage of their $100 discount promotion for reservations. The price now is $1221. A what 35% price increase over the original $900 and over a 50% increase over my reservation. That's a huge increase in a year and 1/2 especially for a sword that isn't in production yet.

Their minimum price increase of 10% a year is a lot when you take a look at the long term price increase and not just the 1 year increment.

The Munich was one of several models in the lines that appealed to me when it was introduced, but its far above what I can allow as a spend threshold now. Unless one someday shows up real cheap in the classifieds, I'll never have one in my collection.

Nice thing is that there are always other places to shop.

Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 06 Feb, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I put a down payment on the Condottierre before Feb. 5th. Mike Sigman told me that since the cost of raw materials was going up, they had no choice but to raise their prices 10% - though in the case of the Condottierre, the final result was an 11% increase.

For price reasons, you can now call the Doge, the Battle of Hastings Sword.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion's new prices
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: