What kind of shield and armor is this?
I was just curious to know what kind of shields and armor these two knights are using from this black and white illustration?
Don't know for sure, but the knight in the background is definitely going to get his butt handed to him by the guy in the foreground since he's off-balance and in a pretty bad guard. ;-)
That's a modern illustration, isn't it? It certainly doesn't look like a contemporary one. The pieces are mix-and-match and only resembling things historical.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
That's a modern illustration, isn't it? It certainly doesn't look like a contemporary one. The pieces are mix-and-match and only resembling things historical.

That was my thought, too. Looks fantasy-esque to me. And what is that guy in the back doing?
Looks like something out of D&D gen whatever Players Handbook. Looks pure fantasy role playing game to me.
Bryce Felperin wrote:
Don't know for sure, but the knight in the background is definitely going to get his butt handed to him by the guy in the foreground since he's off-balance and in a pretty bad guard. ;-)

I don't know, the guy in the foreground is not really in a good guard either, and he probably can't see that his opponent is in a bad position since he seems to have his arm in front of his own eyes ;)

Where does the picture come from? Is it some kind of signature that I see in the lower right angle?
The guy in the background is in the "Right Guard" position. You know, checking to see if his deodorant is still working. :p

Sorry, couldn't resist. :blush:
Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
Bryce Felperin wrote:

I don't know, the guy in the foreground is not really in a good guard either, and he probably can't see that his opponent is in a bad position since he seems to have his arm in front of his own eyes ;)

Yep, the front guy isn't really standing in a good position either. He has his sword way too far back to defend with or attack quickly from and his shield is in a bad position with his back kind of kinked to the right.

Whoever drew, didn't know anything about martial combat or swordsmanship. ;-)

As others have said the armor's don't match either. It definitely looks like a modern interpretation of a sword fight. Probably from sort of children's or fantasy book. ;-)
Pamela Muir wrote:
The guy in the background is in the "Right Guard" position. You know, checking to see if his deodorant is still working. :p

Too funny!!! ;-)
Pamela Muir wrote:

It's early Startrek armpit-phaser set on stun. ;)

If anything in D & D or computer games comes close to any historical reality it's almost because the designers were too lazy to be creative and actually copied something accurate by mistake. :p :lol:

O.K. maybe some game designer do make an effort to be historically accurate but game play comes first and imposes some arbitrary rules about how weapons and armour relate to each other.

If a game makes you curious about the facts behind the game it's a good thing, but then go look for some credible sources and don't believe anything in the game instruction manual until verified.

( I'm joking around a bit so please don't take offence here. :D )
I forgot to add the caption that was below the illustration :\

The Caption reads: "The Knights of the Round Table - a nineteenth-century illustration."
Justin Pasternak wrote:
I forgot to add the caption that was below the illustration :\

The Caption reads: "The Knights of the Round Table - a nineteenth-century illustration."

Well THAT explains a lot! Such as why the armour (such as it is) would be about eight hundred years after the scene it supposedly depicted. :eek:
Uhhhh... no, all of you have it completely wrong... the photo is entirely historic and precisely accurate, right down to the very last detail :lol: Those men are early 14th century mid-Gothic Gendarmes practicing the highly secretive martial art of D.S.P. (dramatic sword poseuering) :p

Last edited by Torsten F.H. Wilke on Mon 29 Jan, 2007 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eric Allen wrote:
That was my thought, too. Looks fantasy-esque to me. And what is that guy in the back doing?

Losing.

M.
The illustration looks to be by Howard Pyle, a late 19thC illustrator of Medieval-themed childrens books. Very detailed work, but not historically correct.

S.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: