17th century Scottish Attire
Hello...

Does anyone know of a book or books available with line drawings or other types of illustrations of 17th century Scottish clothing? Not necessarily looking or Highland attire, just Scottish in general. A gentleman with whom I am acquainted makes 17th century Scottish long guns and is interested in obtaining some reference material.

Thanks for your help.
Stuart Press do a couple on 17thC Scottish Armies with illustrations, the one i have the illustrations aren't that clear, but they get the idea across.

Are you after patterns or ideas as to what was worn to get patterns/kit elsewhere?
Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, Volume 86, 1951-1952, pages 30-42.

'Clothing and other articles from a late 17th-century grave at Gunnister, Shetland', Audrey S. Henshall and Stuart Maxwell.

http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/ARCHway/toc.c...amp;vol=86
You should be able to find a boatload of English Civil War re-enactors doing highland and lowland Scots impressions. The better type of reenactor has done research on everything they wear. Their sites will probably reference the primary sources on dress in the period. ECW Scots military attire is probably more specific than what you're looking for, but it might get you started on the path to other sources.

www.scotwars.com
You could also check on the web-site of the Sealed Knot Society in the UK. Sure there's plenty of
info. there.

Cheers,

Bill
Martin Wilkinson wrote:
Stuart Press do a couple on 17thC Scottish Armies with illustrations, the one i have the illustrations aren't that clear, but they get the idea across.

Are you after patterns or ideas as to what was worn to get patterns/kit elsewhere?

Sorry, i meant Partizan Press.
Re: 17th century Scottish Attire
Lin Robinson wrote:
Hello...

Does anyone know of a book or books available with line drawings or other types of illustrations of 17th century Scottish clothing? Not necessarily looking or Highland attire, just Scottish in general. A gentleman with whom I am acquainted makes 17th century Scottish long guns and is interested in obtaining some reference material.

Thanks for your help.

Have you thought to take your question to the Scottish and Borderer History forum at Swordforum International?

Dale Seago or one of the regulars over there might be able to give you the info you need.

Allen
Thank you for all your suggestions. I was familiar with a couple of the sources but others were brand new. Since this is not for me, but for my gunstocker, I will pass it along to him. I am sure he can find what he needs thanks to your help.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: