Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New pics of original rondel dagger wanted Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 23 Jan, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: New pics of original rondel dagger wanted         Reply with quote

I would like to gather more pics of original rondel daggers, I would be thankful for any new one I could find.
Kjell Magnusson

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's one which is on display at Stockholm's Middle Age museum. Blade cross section is largely triangular.

Attachment: 96.97 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 109.64 KB
[ Download ]
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm assuming you've already checked our rondel dagger spotlight. Happy There are also pics in the albums. You'll have to browse through many of the albums as a number of pictures are labeled for searching.

I took these at the Frazier Historical Arms Museum:

http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/12767.html
http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/12768.html
http://www.myArmoury.com/albums/photo/12769.html

Here are some others I've posted here:

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, Chad, i need pics with some bigger resolution than there are in that excellent article, I'm tryng to capture the finer details in order to design my own handle with a nice degree of historical accuracy.

BTW, I see that a few originals feature a diamond shaped anrrow blade, which is my favourite.

Thanks

PS

Anyway the more images I see the more I understand that there are a lot of different possible solutions, depending mainly on what I coud gather from already made decorations.

I already have seasoned walnut wood, I just need to find some brass trim in proper shape to make the two discs.
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are two rondels. The first is English c.1480 and the second is Flemish c.1515. Please click on the additional attachments below.

Jonathan

(The photos are somewhat out of order, so please read the captions to know what is what.)

Attachment: 37.72 KB
rondel1.JPG
English c.1480

Attachment: 92.68 KB
rondel2.2.JPG
Flemish c.1515

Attachment: 18.2 KB
Flemish c.1515 [ Download ]

Attachment: 74.22 KB

Attachment: 62.81 KB
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

wow, thanks again
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No problem. PM me if you need anything bigger than what I have posted.

Jonathan
Merv Cannon

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Rondells         Reply with quote

Jonathan Hopkins wrote:
Here are two rondels. The first is English c.1480 and the second is Flemish c.1515. Please click on the additional attachments below.

Jonathan

Jonathan.........Its unusual to see photos with such good details....were these out of some book ? It would be nice to know if thats OK with you . I have a few books on daggers & knives but none have shots like these in them. Many books are written for the researcher and not so much for the reenactor / reconstructor ...not that theres anything wrong with that, but then you find that the strongly visual books are often done as an "Art " catagory book and contain lots of over embelished pieces that were mainly for later Parade use rather than the more solid historical items.
Thanks !

Merv ....... KOLR
http://www.lionrampant.com.au/

"Then let slip the dogs of war ! "......Woof !
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Flemish one he posted is from a Peter Finer catalogue. Those always include high-quality pics. Happy
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Both are from Peter Finer catalogs. The English one is from In Armis Ars MCMXCVI and the Flemish one is from In Armis Ars MMI. The description of the Flemish rondel is longer than I have patience to reproduce here in its entirety, but here is the description of the English rondel:

The grip of turned wood mounted with circular latten plates engraved with foliage, the blade inlaid in copper with a maker's mark of an owl. In medieval times the River Thames was a major thoroughfare and many daggers must have fallen from scabbards as their owners scrambled in and out of boats.

Provenance: The River Thames at Wapping.
Overall length: 11 ins.

...and the Flemish rondel:

With a hilt of latten compromising an upper rondel or pommel of octagonal outline with scalloped edges, its upper surface finely engraved on a cross-hatched ground within a border of paired lines with a scene representing the martyrdom of St. George attended by the Virgin, and its lower surface furnished with a short moulded socket with projecting scallops turned inwards to clasp the upper end of the grip, and a lower rondel or guard of rounded rectangular outline, offset to the outside and decorated at each edge with projecting fleur-de-lis, the inner one turned towards the blade, its upper surface engraved within a boarder of paired lines on a ground of stylised running foliage with a convoluted ribbon bearing a mock inscription of running Is, a grip of root-wood tapering from its round upper end to its octagonal lower end, and decorated at its centre with a latten band boldly roped between scalloped and engraved edges, and at its lower end with a long latten ferule engraved between triple bands of triple lines with alternating panels of saltires and scallops, and a tapering blade of stiff diamond section.

Overall length: 13 1/2" Blade length: 9 1/2"

[recovered from a river in the Netherlands]

There is more, but I cannot stomach copying it. I hope this was helpful/illuminating.

Jonathan
Jonathan Hopkins

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

BTW, Peter Finer currently have two rondels in their inventory. go to www.peterfiner.com and look through the "Daggers" section. It looks like they still have the Flemish Rondel! They also have an interesting English rondel (see attached).

Jonathan

Attachment: 47.43 KB
English rondel c.1480 [ Download ]
Shae Bishop

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jan, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is an interesting rondel dagger pic I posted on this thread and probably many more in the links to all the museum photos. Hope that helps.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=8271&highlight=

Shae

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New pics of original rondel dagger wanted
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic