Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The "Reichsschwert": Saint Maurice Sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Manouchehr M.

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 21 Jan, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much C.L. You bring up an excellent point, namely dating swords is really difficult. The book by Schulze-Dörrlamm is a must, and although she talkd about the scabbard (Scheide in German) she could have meant scabbard golden plates. I am not sure but it could be that the plates were made earlier and then installed on the wooden scabbard later. Although reading the book implies that the scabbard was made earlier. It is important to take into consideration that the sword fits very well into the scabbard. The scabbard is really old.

I understand what you mean regarding the classification. Thanks for your praise for Mr. Johannes. You should handle the blade. It is really marvellous.

What is the reason that not many people are interested in this type? Is it because it is too long and slender?

This sword next to Zeremonienschwert is the most important sword in the German speaking countries.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

C.L. Miller wrote:
I'd like to chime in and thank you for sharing this with us. The Reichsschwert is beyond doubt one of the finest surviving medieval swords, and a personal favorite of mine, I'm glad to see it being given more attention and more information concerning it being brought to light. I do have a number of comments...
If I'm reading the article right, all of the evidence presented concerning the scabbard appears to support the conclusion that it was made during the 11th Century... how can this be reconciled with the conclusion that the sword itself was made around the end of the 12th century? I find the problems in dating this weapon extremely interesting. It seems incredible that such a broad range of dates have been suggested, and that, in terms of the morphology alone, the sword should be capable of fitting into a time span covering 300 years! This is really a perfect example of the difficulties of typology and in the analysis of period artwork. Nevertheless, since it can still be endlessly fascinating to debate such things...
I notice that the article cites Schulze-Dörrlamm's classification of the sword as a Geibig type 12, which seems to be an accurate assessment. I'd like to suggest, however, that the blade might be a transitional form between types 12 and 13, as it possesses some shared characteristics of both types, and in a few (such as the slimness of the blade) tends towards type 13. There may of course be a compelling argument against this suggestion, but it makes sense to me.
I'm personally fascinated by these long, slim swords of the 12th and 13th centuries, especially the even longer (often broken) German examples documented by Geibig. I'd love to have the opportunity to handle such a blade. Alas, they do not seem to be well represented among the swords created by modern smiths, most of those which come close are rather shorter and broader of blade.
Hats off to Mr. Johannes for making what appears to be a very fine reproduction, and to you Manouchehr for sharing your fine article with us!

http://www.mmkhorasani.com
http://www.arms-and-armor-from-iran.de
Manouchehr M.

PostPosted: Sun 21 Jan, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

C.L.,

Thank you very much for your kind words my friend. I really appreciate it.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

C.L. Miller wrote:
I think it's also worth mentioning that it's extremely refreshing to see not only such a finely written, in-depth article appearing online, and particularly so because this one is both so finely documented (a rarity) and covers such a breadth of sources. Thank you again Manouchehr!

Manouchehr M.

PostPosted: Sun 21 Jan, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you very much Patrick, I really appreciate your kind words. If you remember I talked with you and Mac some years ago about this project. How time flies. We collected all published materials on this sword, networked with the museum, inspected the sword and the result is this magnificent sword.

I worked on this project next to writing my frist book and many articles I wrote for print and online community. Yes I was really busy :-). And now again working on my second book.

I am really happy to have helped my friends here and the whole sword community to find detailed information about this very important European sword, I am truly honored to read your kind words and other esteemed members of this wonderful forum. Thank you very much my friends. I am also working on another important European sword, but this will take time and I will report about it when the project is finished.

Kind regrads

Manouchehr Moshtagh khorasani

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Manoucher,

Crongratulations on your part in helping recreate this significant sword. You're definitely a busy man!

Manouchehr M.

PostPosted: Mon 22 Jan, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bruno Giordan wrote:
yes, Manucher, i will exploit your kind offer asking brazenly a big question ...

What is the distal taper of the original blade?

Distal taper is just the gradual tapering of the blade thickness, measured at regular intervals from the starto of the blade to the tip (see this review for a deriving an idea of how to measure the distal taper of a sword).

I'm reconstructing a plain knight sword of this same type, profile is derived from the Reichschwert and the Glasgow sword with a similar shape, but I have no data on the typical distal geometry of such class of swords.

Obviously you should answer only if you can.

I would also be curious to know more technical details about the smithing process involved in the reconstructions, as well as to know wether the original has been the object of some metallurgical analysis or research.

Bruno,

What is the best way to measure the distal taper I was asked?

Should tehy measure in the middle (note there is a fuller) I mean at the widest point starting from the handle to the tip?
Which intervals in cm do you need?

Would you please specify this. Thank you very much.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > The "Reichsschwert": Saint Maurice Sword
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: