Brass on a La Tene sword.
We've often engaged in debates concerning the merit and authenticity of brass for use on period weapons. Here's an interesting article from the British Museum concerning brass markings on a La Tene era blade.

http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/science/wha...0brass.htm
Thanks for posting this. It's a good read for sure! I wish they'd cite references and refer to a suggested reading list of some kind. I wonder if the sword presented is documented elsewhere and if a discussion of brass is involved. Really interesting stuff. Argh, the article mentions "more research" but does not indicate what it is. I want more.
Not sure I know where this article is coming from, but it almost sounds like it was done by someone with a limited back ground on the subject.

Seems like we have to keep fighting this whole concept of brass useage, but bronze, brass, and gunmetal were all used during the La Tene period.

In his new book British Iron Age Swords and Scabbards, Stead makes the distinction between the three when he can. Some of the copper alloy hilts and scabbards have been tested and all three were used. In many cases it seems that mixing of the different materials happened in the same object. Still seems too early to tell if they were making too much of a distinction between the three in their use or not.

It is a good book and worth the money. I still need to buy my own copy and get Nate's back to him.

Shane

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: