Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Whats the Differecnce between Angus trim and Tinkers swords? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Trent Stevens

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Whats the Differecnce between Angus trim and Tinkers swords?         Reply with quote

Whats the Differecnce between Angus trim and Tinkers swords? ive read some of there posts and they use the same type of heat treatment and even the same facility..... they are both hi preformance swords made with modern material and processes....and there Buddies!!!

thats awesome! but im confused...it seems that everyone thinks tinkers blades are better!!
whats the bloody difference?

Trenty!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the Differecnce between Angus trim and Tinkers swo         Reply with quote

Trent Stevens wrote:
Whats the Differecnce between Angus trim and Tinkers swords? ive read some of there posts and they use the same type of heat treatment and even the same facility..... they are both hi preformance swords made with modern material and processes....and there Buddies!!!

thats awesome! but im confused...it seems that everyone thinks tinkers blades are better!!

Trent,
Interesting question. I'll answer as much as I can. Tinker and Gus are both in Washington State. They have known each other for a long time. They both use the same heat treat facility and may have a preference for the same type of steels.

The main difference? Tinker is a custom smith, Gus is a production (or at best semi-custom) guy. Tinker's are all one-off. Gus has a lineup of models. I've owned 2 Tinker sword, and 3 of his dirks. From what I've see of Gus's swords (not a ton), Tinker's finish and attention to aesthetic detail is much better. That's to be expected of custom pieces.

History lesson: Years ago, Tinker decided to form Tinkerblades to provide his type of performance sword in a more production package. He and Gus were the main guys there. Gus eventually formed his own company while Tinkerblades went the way of the Dodo. Gus's early swords shared many stylistic traits with those Tinkerblade swords.

Tinker and Gus were also among the first to bring the concept of blade harmonics to the fore in the online community. They (I believe) share (or shared) a lot of beliefs about handling and performance.

As for which is better, that depends on what you're looking for. As a single-person custom shop, Tinker's delivery time may be long, but he's a custom guy. He'll be more expensive, but you'll get a more unique, more highly finished item. Gus is the production guy whose stuff might be in stock or quicker to get. He'll be cheaper.

Philosophically, they've shares ideas on performance. Apart from that, they have different business models and goals.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 15 Jan, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats the Differecnce between Angus trim and Tinkers swo         Reply with quote

Trent Stevens wrote:

Hi Trent

Well today there rre some minor differences of opinion on dynamic balance. There are also differences in heat treat, his are hardened and tempered to 58 to 60 rc, and the center of the blade is tempered back to 48 rc, thus most of his blades are "differentially tempered".

Mine are thru hardened and tempered to 51 to 53 rockwell......

He's a true custom maker. I'm not a true production guy, more of a semi-production guy.

Tink uses grinders for his stock removal, I use a CNC mill before heat treat, and grind after heat treat.....

Fit and finish, his swords are generally quite a bit more expensive, and that's part of what you pay for.......

I'm not going to do any new custom stuff for '07. That's what Tinker does, custom stuff......

swords are fun
Trent Stevens

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject: thanks guys!         Reply with quote

that was neat gents, thanks for the input!!!

see you around!

Trenty!
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 16 Jan, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One thing not mentioned - if you want "historic" looking swords, for example, a sword that is not dismountable, or one with fittings that are close reproductions of historic example, you can go through Christian Fletcher http://www.christianfletcher.com and he will mount an ATrim (Angus Trim) blade in a custom or semi custom way.

He - I'm pretty sure - will also provide upgraded fit and finish, should you be willing to pay for it.

Although I have heard very good things about them, Tinker's swords generaly would not be considered historical reproductions. May or may not be an issue for you...

Gordon

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Whats the Differecnce between Angus trim and Tinkers swords?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic