Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > For Sale: Migration D Hilt w/ custom scabbard Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Fri 27 Feb, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: For Sale: Migration D Hilt w/ custom scabbard         Reply with quote

First off I want to showcase one of Jesse Bailey's awesome scabbards. Very nicely made for about half the price of an Albion custom made scabbard (not to knock Albion any, but it is more economical). Not terribly period authentic (I requested this scabbard, not the fault of Jesse) but I wanted one in the style of the NG Gaddjhalt custom scabbard. Belt is made of elk skin, the rest is custom dyed leather on a wood core scabbard. Very personal, customized feel to it.

The sword is in excellent condition, only some extremely minor scuffs (probably wouldn't have noticed them if I didn't mention it). The finish wasn't exactly awesome, but some high grit sanding and steel wool brought out a nice polish. I wrapped some suede pigskin on the handle to improve the grip, something about bare skin on walnut doesn't work for me.

Awesome handling sword, at less than two pounds it's quick and has no strain on the wrist. Blade thickness appears to be 3/16ths instead of Albion's usual 1/4, but there seems to be less distal tapering and little profile taper compared to the other blades.

Total price for the sword and scabbard? $800, $550 for the sword at Albion and Jesse charges $250 for the scabbard. What do I want? Well, at the most basic level a sword with a scabbard. any high quality items will do. a very good to new quality Bushido katana or maybe an Orchid is what I am currently after. We'll have to talk. I don't want to get rid of this sword, but if something enticing comes my way I could be persuaded.

Also looking out for an ADT 5154. Seeing that the Mig. D costs more, it wouldn't be an even trade, but it doesn't have to be, we'll talk money if it comes to that.

http://forums.swordforum.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=338734
http://forums.swordforum.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=338735
http://forums.swordforum.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=338738
http://forums.swordforum.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=338737

How can there be a perfect sword when PEOPLE come in all shapes and sizes too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 27 Feb, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd kinda like to look at the photos but it appears that i've been chucked in under the banned catagory on SFI . Never belonged to SFI but it keeps telling me i'm logged in as Harlan and am not allowed to look at the post .
not sure what that foolishness is about but is there some other way to view the pictures Aaron?
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Fri 27 Feb, 2004 7:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The pictures are too big to attach directly to the post, I'll resize two of them for posting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Fri 27 Feb, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sword in scabbard

Attachment: 96.35 KB
12.jpg

Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Fri 27 Feb, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And out.

Attachment: 95.44 KB
13.jpg

Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Fri 27 Feb, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And I will be coerced into selling it if I can get at leat $600 for it. That's a good deal especially since Albion's sale is over, and even with the sale price the sword and scabbard are still cheaper.
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb, 2004 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All my swords end up on eBay. I'm surprised I waited this long.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem...T&rd=1

Timothy Gulics

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Aaron, what is the size/length of the grip? I've heard that anyone with 'large' hands has trouble with this sword.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually the problem could be in the wrist, I would think a larger hand would prevent the pommel from digging into the wrist. The length of the handle is exactly 4 inches. I have had no problems with it unless you are not making a full swing and "force" the blade to a stop. The hand movements required to do so will indeed put the pommel into your wrist. Also, a slight adjustment of the hand just before thrusting will also eliminate the same problem. It's not the grip that bothers me, it's just the weight. Seems I've lost a taste for "lighter" blades and am going for heftier ones.
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah.... if the leather-wrap grip is 4 inches, I'd be okay, but if the entire grip (between pommel and guard) is only 4 inches, the pommel will probably dig into my HAND, not just my wrist :/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The 4 inches is the entire grippable area, not just the leather grip. Try gripping a ruler to see if it is too small or big enough.
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, that'll be too small for me. The pointed sides of the pommel will kill my hand just by holding it. :/

Thanks Aaron.
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, since I know you own the Godfred, how does that one size up to you? I measured mine and it is only about 1/4 of an inch longer than the Mig. D.
Timothy Gulics

PostPosted: Sat 28 Feb, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Godfred grip is just right. There's a smidge of room between the top and bottom of my hand and the pommel/guard.
Aaron Justice

PostPosted: Sun 14 Mar, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, in a little bit my Migration will be back up for sale. I sent a couple of second chance offers, but if no one accepts them I will sell it for $500, shipping included. That's less than the Albion price for just the sword, with a $250 scabbard included. Do the math, that's a $300 savings.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > For Sale: Migration D Hilt w/ custom scabbard
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic