Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > ArmArt -- Up to the challenge? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
M. Eversberg II

Reading list: 3 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 26 Dec, 2006 4:27 am    Post subject: ArmArt -- Up to the challenge?         Reply with quote

I checked our reviews and we have nothing for ArmArt; I was wondering if anyone owned any of their stuff?

M.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 26 Dec, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have moved this topic to the Off-topic forum from the Historic Arms Talk forum. Please note the description for the historical arms talk forum: "Discussions of reproduction and authentic historical arms and armour from various cultures and time periods"

You're talking about a maker not an item, so off-topic it is.

Thank you.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 26 Dec, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My collection gallery shows some items from ArmArt as do Chad's and Steve's.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Tue 26 Dec, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
My collection gallery shows some items from ArmArt as do Chad's and Steve's.

Yes, and thats where I heard of them -- but they don't tell me anything about their functionality.

M.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 26 Dec, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

M. Eversberg II wrote:
Yes, and thats where I heard of them -- but they don't tell me anything about their functionality.

I see. But you asked: "I was wondering if anyone owned any of their stuff?" If you wanted to know about functionality, you must ask about it. I answered your original question, showing examples of people who have owned their "stuff".

Of the dozen or more ArmArt examples I've handled, only one has had impressive dynamics and that was the "Swiss Saber" I owned with the double rings and highly curved blade. I was very pleased with the way that sword handled. Had it been more historically-based, I would have been extremely happy with it.

The others ranged from completely dead and cumbersome in the hand to below average or, at best, "typical" in nature. While none but the saber stood out as being particularly excellent "performers", they were all solid swords with good construction throughout and tight hilts.

There are others who have owned or handled ArmArt swords and left with a much more impressed opinion of their dynamics. It would seem that there is some diversity to their products.

John Cooksey

PostPosted: Tue 26 Dec, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have an older model shamshir/saif, but I don't remember the model number or name. I am quite fond of it. The hilt is very well executed in steel with wood grip-scales, and the blade has a lovely shape. The weapon handles very, very well, but the edge is not quite sharp enough nor is the blade quite "meaty" enough to make a decent cutter or slasher. For the price I paid on the used market, over 4 years ago, I would gladly purchase it again.
I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 26 Dec, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

ArmArt....

I have an ArmArt sword. I love the way it looks. The handling is acceptable/decent but not spectacular. It was a solid (if not very good) value for the money when I bought, considering the market back then. It remains a favorite in my collection.

The issue with ArmArt has been much less about quality than service. ArmArt was introduced to the American market in the form of a partnership with Swordforum. That partnership created a lot of interest and many orders were placed. Apparently, ArmArt was not ready for the volume of business this created. My order was placed within a month or so of the partnership announcement and ended up taking a couple of months longer than quoted. Not too awful, considering that others were delayed by years and, in some cases, orders were never filled by ArmArt even though money was paid. I consider myself lucky. From what I hear, the customer service provided to people stuck in the queue has been non-existent.

That said, I have heard of people buying in-stock items and getting them in a timely fashion. However, most people who have been around this community a while refuse to throw money armart's way for fear of bad things happening.

That 's really why I haven't done an official review of my sword. I'm very hesitant to review what turned out to be a nice product because I would hate to see people go down the road of dissatisfaction that so many others have.

I would say that if you can find one on the used market, pick it up. ArmArt swords are somewhat rare that way. Also, if ArmArt list something in stock and your credit card company has a track record of helping you get your money back in the event they never deliver, you might try an in-stock item with not too much risk. I personally wouldn't risk a custom order with them, though.

Perhaps they've changed and everything is great. No one I know has been willing to find out first-hand, though.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 26 Dec, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have an ArmArt dagger that I got second hand in trade. It is very nice looking, very well finished with an extremely sharp blade. Perhaps slightly overbuilt - but overall very nice. It was a custom order that came out before the problems that Chad spoke about came up, I think. If you are willing to "roll the dice" then you might get lucky - if you want a sure thing (a company with a consistent record of product quality and customer service), there are many other places I would go first.

Attachment: 25.26 KB
Fulllength.JPG

M. Eversberg II

PostPosted: Tue 26 Dec, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, I think you all have prevented me from making a possable mistake!

M.

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > ArmArt -- Up to the challenge?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic