Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > For Sale: A couple of 'experiments' Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: For Sale: A couple of 'experiments'         Reply with quote

I have recently been experimenting (purely for curiosity's sake) with the heavier end of the historical range, and having played with them sufficiently to answer my own needs, these two swords are now available for sale. They are not being offered through Bladeart as they would normally be, and Larry likes light-weight stuff. WTF?! This gives me the opprotunity to sell these peices directly, so they are on offer here. While both swords are technically 'used,' having been used for test cutting, but are provided in as-new condition.

The first sword-

Type XIV sword in the style of swords of the 13th-14th century.

Overall Length 37-5/8 inches. The 30-5/8 inch long 5160 spring steel blade is 2-1/4 inches wide at the base, and tapers rapidly in profile to 2-1/8 inches wide giving the base of the blade a 'flared' look. The blade then tapers to approx 1 inch wide 2-1/2 inches from the point. The blade is approx. .240 inches thick at the base and distal tapers to approx .07 inches near the point. The distal taper is convex for the first 5-6 inches. The base of the blade features a central fuller at the base approx. 10-5/8 inches long by 1/2 inch wide that extends under the guard and onto the tang. The cental fuller is flanked on either side by 1/4 inch wide fullers approx. 10 inches long. The blade is marquenched and tempered to approx. HRc53. The mild steel guard is 7-1/2 inches wide, is 3/4 inch across at the center. The base of the blade is counter-sunk slightly into the guard. The guard is lightly cusped at the center and flares slightly towards the tips of the arms. The arms taper in width on a convex line towards the tips to approx. 5/16 inch at the ends. The hardwood handle is approx. 1-1/4 inches wide at the base by 5/8 inch thick. The handle thickens to a maximum of approx. 3/4 inch before tapering to approx 7/8 inch wide by 5/8 inch thick at the top where it meets the pommel. The wood is strongly carved in a diamond pattern, then covered in black chrome-tanned leather which is pressed into the carving. This provides and excellent grip which is comfortable and non-abrasive in use. Length of the handle is 3-3/4 inches. The pommel is of Oakeshott's type 'K,' being a flat disk with raised bosses in the center. The mild steel pommel is 2-1/2 inches in diameter, with the main disk being approx. 5/6 inch thick. The central bosses are approx. 1-1/4 inches in diameter and the pommels maximum thickness is approx. 1.09 inches. The pommel is slotted approx. 1-3/4 inches deep to fit over the end of the tang. The spring-tempered tang is then reduced to 1/4 inch in diameter and threaded to SAE1/4-20. The pommel is counter-sunk at the top to admit approx. 1/2 inch of thread engagement on the cylindrical 3/8 x 7/8 inch nut. The nut is cross-bored so that a 1/8 inch rod can be used to tighten or dismount the hilt.
The sword's weight is approx 3 lbs. The Center of Gravity is approx. 2-3/4 inches from the guard. The Center of Percussion is approx. 20 inches from the guard. The location of the Primary and Secondary nodes in the hilt is impossible to determine, as any part of the handle that is gripped feels like the primary node. In cutting the sword transmits no discernable shock to the hand. Despite the close COG the sword tracks very well in cutting and well in the thrust. The sword feels deceptively light and lively due to the close COG and high Polar Moment. The sword is provided with a black leather scabbard with leather locket and chape. US$850 Plus shipping.

Sorry for the photo quality!

Attachment: 15.36 KB
TypeXIV FL 1.jpg

Attachment: 42.78 KB
[ Download ]

Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Then one night, as my car was going backwards through a cornfield at 90mph, I had an epiphany...
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's the info on the second sword:

Sword in the style of Type XVI cut-and-thrust swords of the 13-14th centuries. This sword presents an overall excellent period appearance and construction, so would make a good teaching tool as well as being a handy and stout cut-and-thrust sword.

Overall Length of this sword is approx. 34-3/8 inches. The 28-3/8 inch 5160 sproing steel blade is marquenched, the differentially tempered to yield a hardness of HRc58-60 at the cutting edge with the spine and tang of the blade drawn back to HRc45-48 through the center and tang of the blade. The blade is approx 2-3/8 inches wide and .255 inches thic at the base and tapers in profile on a convex line to approx. 5/8 inch 2 inches from the point. The blade distal tapers to approx. 1.8 inches in the first 11 inches from the base, then distal tapers more rapidly to approx. .08 inch 2 inches from the point. The blade features on either face a deep central fuller approx. 1/2 inch wide, tapering in width and depth to it's tip approx. 11-7/8 inches down the blade from the guard. This fuller extends onto the tang approx. 1 inch. The convex distal taper makes this blade exceptionally stiff overall. This blade is somewhat atypical for a Type XVI in that it does not have a pronounced center-spine from the fuller to the tip, but it's stiffness and profile taper nonetheless make it a XVI rather than a XIV. The guard is 7 inches wide by approx. 11/16 inch thick at the center. The base of the blade is counter-sunk slightly into the guard. The ends of the guard flare slightly and the guard curves slightly forward in the plane of the blade. The 3-1/2 inch long handle is 1-3/8 inches wide at the base and tapers in profile to approximately 1-1/8 inches wide at the top. The handle is approx 5/8 inch thick at the base, flares in thickness to 3/4 inch, then tapers to approx 9/16 inch thick at the pommel. The handle is made of hardwood covered in black leather. The mild steel pommel is 2-1/2 inches in diameter and is of Oakeshott's Type 'k', being a flat disk with raised central bosses approx. 1-1/8 inches in diameter. The primary disk is approx. 9/16 inches thick, and the central fullers increase the pommels thickness to approx. 3/4-13/16 inch thick. The pommel is slotted approx. 2 inches deep, then bored through with a 1/4 inch hole. The tang is tapered to fit through the hole then butt-riveted in period fashion. The sword weighs 2lbs14oz. The Center of Gravity is approximately 3-5/8 inches from the guard. The Center of Percussion is approx. 18-1/2 inches from the guard. The location of the Primary and Secondary nodes in the hilt is impossible to determine, as any part of the handle that is gripped feels like the primary node. The sword tracks very well in cutting and thrusting, and feels lively in the hand due to it's close COG and high Polar Moment. The sword is provided with a black leather scabbard that is reinforced with a leather locket and chape. US$750.

Attachment: 12.96 KB
T16H!!.jpg

Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Then one night, as my car was going backwards through a cornfield at 90mph, I had an epiphany...
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is a full-length shot of the Type XVI- yeah, I know- the picture sucks, but it's the best I can do today.

Attachment: 6.11 KB
TypeXVIFL2!!.jpg

Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 24 Feb, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One more attempt... If you are interested in either of these swords, PM me or email Tinkerpearce@hotmail.com.

Attachment: 4.68 KB
T16FL!!.jpg

Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > For Sale: A couple of 'experiments'
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic