Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > About the Earl Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was lucky enough to get to play with one of these yesterday. I met Michael Edelson (who's a really good guy, by the way) at a Christian Tobler seminar, and Mike brought his along. I pretty much agree with Joe's comments. It's a very nice blade: The hollow grinding is beautiful. Yes, there is a good amount of blade presence, but not in the hindering way. Rather, it's the "confidence" kind of blade presence. It's a sword that feels very natural in the cut, perhaps a little more so than the thrust. I only played with it for a couple minutes, but it's an incredibly nice sword.
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Michael Edelson

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 12 Nov, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'd like to take this opporunity to apologize to all those who went to New York expecting to see the Earl at the Albion booth. I sort of got there early and ran off with it. Happy

Despite Bill's kind words (thanks Bill!), I'm actually rather evil and snatched the Earl away before anyone could so much as look at it. Mine! Mine! Happy

Since there's already a formal review of this sword on the way here (or I so believe from what I've read), I'll be taking some pics and doing an informal review / test soon, which I'll post here and on SFI. I'm just getting to know this sword, but so far I am thrilled with it.

On a side note, I had the opposite of Joe's experience with scabbards...I bought a campaign line scabbard from Albion for the Regent that arrived about a week before I bought the Earl...it fit the Regent but was very loose. I brought it with me to the NY custom knife show...just in case...and it fit the Earl perfectly. Fate...
George Hill

PostPosted: Mon 13 Nov, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael Edelson wrote:
I'd like to take this opporunity to apologize to all those who went to New York expecting to see the Earl at the Albion booth. I sort of got there early and ran off with it. Happy.

Micheal is buying up all the swords in the US. He must be stopped! His ravenous appitite for steel will leave us all weaponless!!!

Seriously though, I'll look forward to that review. (Oh, and thanks for those measurements you sent me, I'm not sure if you got the email thanking you. the net had been acting up.)

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
T.L. Johnson

PostPosted: Wed 20 Dec, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:
Does anyone have any information of how an S curve effects the function of the cross?

I have entertained the notion that the S-curved guard might be of some help in mutieren the bind on the left, keeping your opponent from twitching his blade out from under the cross as you thrust home into an opening.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > About the Earl
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: