Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Marc-Antoine Jean wrote:
We once bought an Arma Bohemia Sallet. The piece is really beautiful but the metal on the helm is quite thin.

But.....that is an old thread....I never had in mind before how much I'll spend on arms and armous in the year. I was just calculating that today, that is really frightening.
I'll have a two hander made by L'Archevêque - 800$
New fully raised high carbon steel german sallet - 2000$
My armour suit needs repair due to extended use of last year...200-300 $

shit.....there is a lot of money in that hobby :P

I figure that the helmet will spend more time on a bookcase than on my head. :cool:
Quote:
Hey Patrick, it's finally down to "Production Time" eh! Soon the "TIC TOC TIC TOC" torture will commence!

Yes, it's getting close. The project has changed to something Patrick is very excited about doing, in fact it was his idea. I was agreeable since I like to have a smith work on something they're enthused about rather than just a "job". I find the end result is usually worth it. The upside is it should be cheaper than the original commision. After a two-year wait I'm eager to see this one become a reality. Between this one and the new McHugh axe the beginning of ' 07 should be good to me!
Thats great Patrick, I am looking forward to seeing the finished product, custom work is usually a joy to behold.

Bob, that belt and scabbard sound really great! (not to mention the other goodies you have lined up!) I have a few years to go, but I hope my 50th is celebrated in similar style :)
Nathan,
with regard to your initial question : I was thinking Migration period, something along the lines of the ring hilt offered by Deltin, but I ended up buying two spears and a few javelins from A&A which I should receive soon. The next project is a dagger, probably by Marcal... then I'll start looking again for that Migration era sword. Money wise, I try to keep beneath the thousand dollar mark per year.
JC
I don't really track a dollar per year limit, although in a practical sense I suppose I do have an annual limit.

For the most part, of late, I just try to stay below $700 or so when considering any item. For the foreseeable future, $1000 is a hard stop at the top end unless I sell something out of the collection and it frees up more cash than that.
Joe Fults wrote:
I don't really track a dollar per year limit, although in a practical sense I suppose I do have an annual limit.

For the most part, of late, I just try to stay below $700 or so when considering any item. For the foreseeable future, $1000 is a hard stop at the top end unless I sell something out of the collection and it frees up more cash than that.

I would say $2000 is about the maximum limit but can get awfully close or over this if I count a sword + a custom scabbard as one piece. ;)

$1000 is closer to my comfort zone and the $250 to $500 range for multiple purchases over a few months.

I can still appreciate some low cost things from a good maker like A & A: Spears, javelin, axes etc ...... that can be in the $100 to $300 range. The enjoyment is not always proportional to the cost.

Anything badly engineered i.e. weak tangs, pot metal guards. plastic handles irks me no matter how cheap and even irks me worse if expensive.
Joe Fults wrote:

Pretty similar here. I could see going up to $1000 for the right piece, with custom work and a good scabbard. But these days most of my purchases have put me in the mindset that $400-$650 is pretty normal. I still go with some cheap items here or there if they'll have a specific purpose (wall hangers or whatever). But I'd have a hard time talking myself into something over $700.

If it costs more than my Sig Sauer, it's hard to justify it my head... hah :)
Hello guys,

I am waiting on the Solingen and am excited about this although I have slightly mixed feelings. This sword is latter than my current era of interest- I went with it because I couldn't shake my desire for a sword with helft, balance, and feel so closely matched to an original.

I suspect once I have it in hand I will be thrilled with it. I really loved the handling of the Knight and Mike has told me that the Solingen is the best handling single hand sword that Albion makes in his opinion. I know that the term "handling" is really a subjective term encompassing personal preference and functionality of the peice. I guess that the Solingen may feel very intuitive and versatile.

In any case I believe that the Solingen will fill a hole in my collection that I really wont meet for many years as I move forward from my current period of interest (1050-1200) up through the middle ages. I think of the Solingen as a typical, very versatile knightly sword of the cut and thrust type during the transitional plate period.

Now if only Albion would make a ML sword from the high middle ages- that would be something.

Jeremy
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
I can still appreciate some low cost things from a good maker like A & A: Spears, javelin, axes etc ...... that can be in the $100 to $300 range. The enjoyment is not always proportional to the cost.

That's a darn good point, and something worth thinking about.
Joe, I have Patrick Barta's no. 102 Roman Riding Sword that I ordered in 2001 and received in 2002. I paid $350 for it and it has given me more pleasure than you can possibly imagine. That is the main reason why I am springing for the no. 118. I also have a replica Viking sword that I picked up from the estate of one of the Longship Company members for $200 that is perfect for re-enacting as there is very little more that anyone can do to it to hurt it. It is quite well-made and very durable and I like it a lot.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Page 6 of 6

Jump to: