Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Dec 11: myArmoury.com news and updates Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  

Considering all of this week's latest additions, please rate the quality of our efforts.
Excellent
61%
 61%  [ 33 ]
Very Good
25%
 25%  [ 14 ]
Good
12%
 12%  [ 7 ]
Fair
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Poor
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 54

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Dec 11: myArmoury.com news and updates         Reply with quote

Today's update:

Man of War: Sir
George Clifford
An article by Chad Arnow

Arms & Armor Two-Ring Rapier

A hands-on review by Bill Grandy

CAS Iberia / Hanwei Practical Side Sword

A hands-on review by Bill Grandy

As always, you can see our Complete History of Updates listed right from our home page.
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Clifford's armour is outstanding!Is there anyone today who can make such a beautiful work of art?? Eek!
www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michal Plezia wrote:
Clifford's armour is outstanding!Is there anyone today who can make such a beautiful work of art?? Eek!

Michal,
As you'll note in the article, Peter Fuller of Medieval Reproductions is replicating the harness in full. See below:

It's absolutely fantastic work. Incredible!

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I didn't notice at first.Thanks.It is incredible piece of work indeed.I wish I could make such armours myself...
www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yet another fine job by two of the myArmoury "heavy lifting" authors. Thanks to Chad and Bill!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well done guys; you always have just the right touch!
-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We tried to address the issue of a lack of variety that was raised last update so gave you something completely different this time around. It's about as different from the 100 Years War than you could get Happy
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Max von Bargen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Dec, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Another really great update from you guys! I've recently developed a great interest in the rapier, so the timing couldn't have been more perfect. I also really enjoyed the article on Clifford.

Keep up the great work, gentlemen!
Max
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Dec, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While I have always enjoyed the weapon reviews (which drew me to this site in the first place) I also find the other articles extremely interesting. I would like to thank all the contributing authors for the time and effort spent to research and present the content found on this site.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 12 Dec, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm glad people like this update package. Happy We're definitely branching out to cover more than just product reviews (though those will always be a big component of this site). The Man of War series is one such avenue. We often see weapons attributed to historical figures in books and catalogues. This series lets us explore the weapons in more detail than the blurb they'd get in a more general spotlight article. They also let us show a bit about the people behind the weapons and armour.

Since this is a hobbyist site for arms & armour enthusiasts, we try not to go overboard with in-depth biographical info on the person; that would be off-topic to this site and beyond the interest of many readers. Instead, we hope to whet the appetites of the readers so that they might want to go dig out some of their own books and start reading. That's the point of most of our articles, in fact. We know we'll never be at the cutting edge of scholarship. What we seek to do is provide some context to arms & armour and hope that we'll inspire people to want to learn more.

This series has a few more as-yet-unpublished articles and we're always looking for more. These articles aren't hard to write, and are friendly from a production standpoint, too. The initial update groups featuring articles from this series were very highly rated by poll voters, too.

The last two groups with MOW articles (this week's included) have not been as highly rated, and I encourage those who voted "Good" or "Fair" to let us know what we can do to improve our efforts. We won't chastise anyone for voting honestly. Ever. Your honest feedback is important to us, and we do monitor the poll results to guide us in future publications.

We do want people to remember that we're asking for feedback on our efforts, not necessarily on how much you like the pieces. We know that not every update will be liked by everyone, but we hope that our readers always appreciate the effort, even if the topics covered don't rock their worlds that week. We don't expect every update to thrill every member of our audience after all. That would be quite impossible. Happy

The goal is for us to be able to see that our efforts are consistently rated as "top-notch" while we continually expand the breadth of our offerings.

Happy

ChadA

Peter Fuller
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 18 Dec, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: "Sir" George Clifford         Reply with quote

Interesting article about George Clifford, Chad. However, he would have been mortified to be refered to as a mere knight (although he was a knight of the garter). He was Lord Clifford, 3rd Earl of Cumberland - and would of been referred to as Lord Clifford (My Lord) rather than Sir George.

Also, while it was true that he commanded the Elizabeth Bonaventure, the more famous of his ships, and the one most synonymous with his name, was the Malice Scourge, which he owned himself and had constructed in 1594.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 18 Dec, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "Sir" George Clifford         Reply with quote

Peter Fuller wrote:
Interesting article about George Clifford, Chad. However, he would have been mortified to be refered to as a mere knight (although he was a knight of the garter). He was Lord Clifford, 3rd Earl of Cumberland - and would of been referred to as Lord Clifford (My Lord) rather than Sir George.

Also, while it was true that he commanded the Elizabeth Bonaventure, the more famous of his ships, and the one most synonymous with his name, was the Malice Scourge, which he owned himself and had constructed in 1594.

Peter,
Thanks for your note. Happy Sir George Clifford is referred in the title of the article pretty similarly to the rest of subjects of this series for consistency's sake. It is mentioned in the article that he was the Earl of Cumberland, along with his other titles.

As for his ship, thanks for bringing that up. This article (and the rest of this series) is meant to be a very basic biographical sketch of the man. There was a ton of other information that I could have included, but I felt it wouldn't have fit this series or this site. I felt it was more important to mention the ship he commanded at a very recognizable military engagement that any others he may have commissioned/commanded. In-depth background info on the people in this series is not the focus. Sorry for the confusion.

On a different note, the reconstructed harness you're doing is fantastic. A real work of art. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Richard Fay

Reading list: 256 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 18 Dec, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello all!

Chad,
Thanks for the article about Lord Clifford. I like the fact that the "sketch book" still survives. I knew about it, but it's always interesting to know a bit about the man who the armour was made for as well! I am very impressed by the replicas by Peter Fuller. It takes skill and talent to create such a masterpiece. The one time I managed to convince my wife to take me to the Higgin's Armoury, she was surprisingly impressed with the details of the decoration on the armour there. Clifford's armour is gorgeous just in photos, I can't imagine what it must look like close-up.

By the way, you're looking for more Man-of War articles, eh? Wink Happy Hmm... Big Grin

Bill,
Thanks for the reviews. I'm not a rapier man myself (something about being a lefty and not being able to afford a custom job, and the fact that the medieval period is my main period of interest), but I'm always interested in reading about the products out there. I definitely can appreciate rapiers from an artist's perspective, and find some of them to be amazing works of art.

Oh, in case you guys were wondering, I voted "very good". The subject matter is usually interesting, even if it's not in my main area of interest. I'm a bit hard to please, though, so I rarely vote "excellent". Just like with my own writing, I always think that there is a little room for improvement. I personally think that some of the articles could benefit from a little more depth, but I understand that it's not easy to present a lot within the constraints of this format. I applaud the efforts to cover a wider range of topics, since I love to learn new things, or even new information about old topics. I also understand the efforts involved in writing, and I appreciate that this venue offers more than just a forum. I like Chad's attitude about trying to get people more interested in doing their own research; I think it's always a good thing to try to encourage people to read more about a subject. Perhaps some people wish to have all the information presented to them here, and don't yet realize the intentions of the articles. Maybe slightly larger sources lists, or a "suggested reading" list with each article might help encourage people to seek the information for themselves.

I know Chad's comments were directed more at those that voted "Good" or "Fair", but I thought I would put in my two cents worth.

Keep up the good work!

"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did! I'm going to recite poetry!"
Prince Andrew of Armar

Forum Index > myArmoury.com Features Talk > Dec 11: myArmoury.com news and updates
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic